• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Chester LLandudno JN Easement

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywandy

Member
Joined
5 Dec 2015
Messages
43
Hi all,

Another quick ticketing query I can't find the answer to so I thought i'd post it on here to see if anyone else knew of this easement (I think this is the right term).
Ticket type: advance ticket from Manchester stations to Bangor Gwynnedd.

I have purchased the advance ticket several times. The ticket tells me to travel from Manchester Piccadilly road to Chester. Then to change at Chester and board the train from Chester to Bangor.

Firstly, the outside overall ticket says Manchester stations to Bangor Gwynedd on it. But the other tickets you get with an advance ticket state Piccadilly to chester. Chester to Bangor.

1) does this mean I HAVE to start at Piccadilly or can I start at Oxford road (as they are bith Manchester stations) I know advance tickets can not be broken/started short, but as it says manchester Stations their is ambiguity.

2) If my ticket says Oxford road to Chester, Chester to Bangor. And I wish to start from Piccadilly, do I then need to purchase a ticket from Piccadilly to Oxford road.

3) Everytime (without fail) When I get my ticket checked on either leg of journey. I.E Manchester to bangor, or bangor to Manchester. I get told to change at LLandudno JN. and not Chester, is this an official easement, as in the past when pointing out to the conductor I have an advance ticket saying I must change at Chester, they just shrug and say 'it's the same train, llandudno jn has a nicer coffee shop but it's up to you'. Because of this I always change at Chester to avoid trouble, but it would be nice if I knew for sure I would be okay changing at LLandudno JN. As I much prefer it there (from experience of using off peak returns allowing me to choose my changes).

Sorry I know these questions might seem obvious to experienced travelers. But I don't want to get in trouble/fined for a tiny mistake (as certain TOCS are a little heavy handed)

Thanks for any info you can all provide,
Andy
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,435
Location
Yorkshire
Hi all,

Another quick ticketing query I can't find the answer to so I thought i'd post it on here to see if anyone else knew of this easement (I think this is the right term).
Ticket type: advance ticket from Manchester stations to Bangor Gwynnedd.

I have purchased the advance ticket several times. The ticket tells me to travel from Manchester Piccadilly road to Chester. Then to change at Chester and board the train from Chester to Bangor.

Firstly, the outside overall ticket says Manchester stations to Bangor Gwynedd on it.
Yes, the ticket is issued from Manchester Stns to Bangor Gwynedd.


But the other tickets you get with an advance ticket state Piccadilly to chester. Chester to Bangor.
These are your reservation coupons.
1) does this mean I HAVE to start at Piccadilly or can I start at Oxford road (as they are bith Manchester stations) I know advance tickets can not be broken/started short, but as it says manchester Stations their is ambiguity.
I would advise that you specify the station you wish to start from, to be safe.

If your reservation is from a named station other than the station you wish to board at, then there is ambiguity. In general, ticket barriers at Oxford Road should accept any ticket from Manchester Stns, so boarding 'short' at Oxford Road is unlikely to be an issue in practice.

Starting at Piccadilly may be more problematical if a manual check takes place at Piccadilly, and I am not sure we will ever get consensus on that matter.

2) If my ticket says Oxford road to Chester, Chester to Bangor. And I wish to start from Piccadilly, do I then need to purchase a ticket from Piccadilly to Oxford road.
Some people might argue that. I wouldn't really agree with them, but you don't want to enter into such an argument and miss your train!
3) Everytime (without fail) When I get my ticket checked on either leg of journey. I.E Manchester to bangor, or bangor to Manchester. I get told to change at LLandudno JN. and not Chester, is this an official easement, as in the past when pointing out to the conductor I have an advance ticket saying I must change at Chester, they just shrug and say 'it's the same train, llandudno jn has a nicer coffee shop but it's up to you'. Because of this I always change at Chester to avoid trouble, but it would be nice if I knew for sure I would be okay changing at LLandudno JN. As I much prefer it there (from experience of using off peak returns allowing me to choose my changes).
If you are following the instructions of staff, you will be fine.

It may be beneficial in future to use a booking engine that allows you to specify an interchange station. I don't think any do at present, but Trainsplit will do in future.

Sorry I know these questions might seem obvious to experienced travelers. But I don't want to get in trouble/fined for a tiny mistake (as certain TOCS are a little heavy handed)

Thanks for any info you can all provide,
Andy
If you travel on the wrong train on an Advance ticket, not in accordance with staff instructions, then you will not be fined, the correct action is to charge a new ticket, with Railcard discounts, at the appropriate fare.

You may find our Fares Guide useful; we have a section dedicated to Advance tickets.

If your advance ticket is dated for the same day as you are travelling, and you have complied with the train company or route restriction shown on the ticket (see Section 1.1.3.1)
You may purchase the cheapest Anytime or Off-Peak single (or, at your option, return) fare available for your journey that would have been available at the station booking office prior to boarding the train.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,286
Location
Connah's Quay
It may be beneficial in future to use a booking engine that allows you to specify an interchange station. I don't think any do at present, but Trainsplit will do in future.
NRE allows you to specify an interchange station, and if you click through to a WebTIS site (the ones with the list of fare types above the list of train times) it respects your choice.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,306
Location
Bolton
In short, easily a confusing situation. However it's really nothing to ATW where you change en route, and you report that their own staff confirm this. I myself have actually been advised to change at Llandudno Junction where my itinerary said Flint, and did so without a problem. You might as well use the coffe shop!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top