• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

attention to detail

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Southern may wish to reconsider the chemicals they use on 377s for hand grabs etc look v corroded
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,296
No? If you wish to tell southern why not email them and tell them instead of posting it on an enthusiasts forum? :|
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Well given some people on this forum work for Southern and may know a little more than I do I tend to use the forum as my first point of call... the collective knowledge is immense.
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Doubt it. Sounds more like the paint has worn off with thousands of commuters using them and the sweaty hands/cleaning chemicals have caused electrolytic corrosion/rusting (depends what its made from) from contact with the bare metal.
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
an enthusiasts forum?
Now you tell me!

I tend to agree though, wear and tear is the most likely issue
However, where are these affected grabrails; interior or exterior?
What other such items are corroded, worn, etc?

This is an item of rolling stock from the 21st Century, you don't expect it to last more than 5 years do you?
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
interior... it seems almost like the paint has rubbed off which is a shame given the age of them. There are signs of bare metal. The same can be said for the exterior with all the dents. Those with the ex Connex interiors seem to increasingly have torn upholstery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it must be an added cost with the non-standard upholstery used in the older trains.

Meanwhile carpets are looking very dirty though I appreciate these may be hard to keep clean in winter.

My final grype is that the seating used in the 3 plus two layout is terribly uncomfortable. I do not mind the layout but the seating is impossible to sit on. I realise the outer ends have better seating but often these are full!
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
interior... it seems almost like the paint has rubbed off which is a shame given the age of them. There are signs of bare metal. The same can be said for the exterior with all the dents. Those with the ex Connex interiors seem to increasingly have torn upholstery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it must be an added cost with the non-standard upholstery used in the older trains.

Meanwhile carpets are looking very dirty though I appreciate these may be hard to keep clean in winter.

My final grype is that the seating used in the 3 plus two layout is terribly uncomfortable. I do not mind the layout but the seating is impossible to sit on. I realise the outer ends have better seating but often these are full!

Yes, nobody likes the 3+2 seating, which is why every passenger goes to the front or rear where there is 2+2 :) Southern are a commuter railway, not like Virgin or East Coast which are intercity, as you probably know.

At least 442s have 2+2 and 2+1 in first.


Some of the older 377(1)s have been refurbished inside to match 377/4s which is a downer as 377/1s used to have 2+2.

As for the carpets, its very difficult in winter to keep them clean, they may do through a clean at night but after a couple of runs in the morning, all the grit, dirt, mud, water gets straight
back into it.

>> I would be surpsied if Southern weren't already aware of the problem with the handrails, and at the moment there is a stock shortage, so taking one out of service for a repaint and deep cleaning isn't viable.
 

lm321412

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2010
Messages
537
Location
Birmingham
interior... it seems almost like the paint has rubbed off which is a shame given the age of them. There are signs of bare metal. The same can be said for the exterior with all the dents. Those with the ex Connex interiors seem to increasingly have torn upholstery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it must be an added cost with the non-standard upholstery used in the older trains.

Meanwhile carpets are looking very dirty though I appreciate these may be hard to keep clean in winter.

My final grype is that the seating used in the 3 plus two layout is terribly uncomfortable. I do not mind the layout but the seating is impossible to sit on. I realise the outer ends have better seating but often these are full!

Could you please explain why the seating is impossible to sit on?

Is there a magnetic force which does not attract with your backside causing you to float in mid-air just above the seat?
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
Ah where would we be without humour :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's not corrosion!

Sorry your right but I meant that as well the hand grabs look like they have been eaten away in places quite strange perhaps it's just me
 

Fincra5

Established Member
Joined
6 Jun 2009
Messages
2,636
Its just the paint wearing off from use. It happens on basically all metal handrails/ grabrails and so on :).
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Ah where would we be without humour :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Sorry your right but I meant that as well the hand grabs look like they have been eaten away in places quite strange perhaps it's just me

It's entirely possible, just have a look at the electrochemical series and see what elements you reckon could be found on the avergage commuter's hand!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top