O L Leigh
Established Member
All for it, but what happens when it turns out the is no change in representation and that the job happens to appeal to the white middle aged men? Then what?
That is not an argument for doing nothing, though. Such policies have been shown to be effective in other supposedly male dominated sectors, such as law enforcement and the military. Are these industries now demographically balanced? No, and nor are they ever likely to be. But equality of opportunity has shown that the age-old barriers to entry no longer apply. The rail industry in general, and driving in particular, could use this approach very well.
And if the output of driver recruitment is still dominated by white, middle-aged men then so be it. At least the industry has shown itself to be open and welcoming to all. Ultimately the recruitment and selection is the business of the employers not the union, and it is they who will need to make this work (assuming they feel that it's a problem worth tackling, which they may not). But lets not write it all off as a bad lot just yet on the basis that it may become something or another until it's been tried.
But if you're trying to get me to a point where I say that I support positive discrimination, then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. I do not support any such approach and you would find me as opposed to it as I am to ASLEF's promotion of Employment Justified Retirement Age (EJRA). Equality of opportunity means just that; that everyone has the same chances to succeed in this industry no matter what demographic they fit, even if they are "male, pale and stale".
Again I don't think anyone cares who is driving the trains be it white men, women, BAME (i really hate this terminology) or any other group. It's just not important at all who is represented as long as the job goes on.
As I have said before, that is a perfectly good approach to have from a personal perspective. But, as I said up-thread, if you simply turn a blind eye to demographic information you have no way of knowing if discrimination exists because you have no way of knowing how diverse your workforce is. However distasteful you may feel it is, it has a valid place in many areas of life.
Very well said, the superior salaries of privatisation have unfortunately been a major contributor towards a lackadaisical culture amongst some management of adopting whatever suitability fad is in fashion with them at a particular time, safe in the knowledge they’ll receive loads of over qualified (on paper) applicants purely because of the wage levels & benefits alone
I suppose you have the whole equality discussion in all of it's manifestations down as a "fad" also. This is not a reason not to try and open up the industry to those who traditionally might not have considered a career.
Last edited: