• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashurst New Forest - Southampton Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
My son is about to go to college in Southampton (nearest Soton Central). He has a Disabled Adult R/C. Is it cheaper to get a 7-day or longer season than 5 x Anytime Returns per week and use his R/C?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,127
Location
North East Cheshire
An Anytime Day Return from Ashurst - Soton Central is £2.45 with a Disabled Railcard.
So 5 Days = £12.25

A 7 Day Season ticket is £15.20.
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Short answer no.

The discount offered on season tickets even annual ones seem to be less than the 1/3 of the railcard.

Can you still get academic season tickets through the college, that might work out cheaper - I know I had one when I went to Brock?
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,449
Location
Yorkshire
A season for 5 weeks, say 6 September to 8 October (1 month 3 days) is £64.30, and would be used for 25 days in this case, at £2.57 per day (assuming it is not used on any of the intermediate weekend days)

I think it would be worth the extra 12p per day to avoid the hassle of individual tickets.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
Cheers guys. When I was at Bristol Polytechinc I had a Student R/C...£6.70 return from Bristol Parkway to Feltham via Reading. Oh yes, that was in 1976-77! Now my son and I both have Disabled R/Cs!

I wonder how much the 56/56A bus is to Southampton and if you can get returns? Better not ask as that's another forum!
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
Return about £4ish I expect - Wilts and Dorset arn't the cheapest bus company.
 

thefab444

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
3,688
Location
The New Forest
Can you still get academic season tickets through the college, that might work out cheaper - I know I had one when I went to Brock?

They still do, and I imagine most colleges offer them. £550 going through the college vs about £660 for a 12 month season for me (ANF - BCU) - although that would offer the Gold Card benefits, but I don't value those at £110.
 

Oracle

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2006
Messages
1,410
Location
Near Ashurst New Forest Station
I see that SWT's Smartcard is being touted at last. How does one get one and does that mean that you can have a weekly season added to it?

Oh...if my son goes to see his grandparents, and goes from Isleworth to Southampton, is there an easement to allow travel to Waterloo and back when there is no Clapham Junction stopper on the main?
 

wintonian

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
4,889
Location
Hampshire
They still do, and I imagine most colleges offer them. £550 going through the college vs about £660 for a 12 month season for me (ANF - BCU) - although that would offer the Gold Card benefits, but I don't value those at £110.

Found one of my old ones POK - BCU 1 month 8 days £132 in 1999 now hugely increased to £135.40!
 

wibble

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
636
I see that SWT's Smartcard is being touted at last. How does one get one and does that mean that you can have a weekly season added to it?

If you buy an undiscounted season ticket through SWT's customer service centre, you'll be asked if you want it on a smartcard. There were a few issues with discounted season tickets (e.g. Brock College) which they might still be ironing out...
 

dan_atki

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2006
Messages
1,879
Oh...if my son goes to see his grandparents, and goes from Isleworth to Southampton, is there an easement to allow travel to Waterloo and back when there is no Clapham Junction stopper on the main?

No, you need the more expensive 'London Not Und' routeing as opposed to the 'Not London' to doubleback between Clapham Junction and Waterloo.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,305
If you buy an undiscounted season ticket through SWT's customer service centre, you'll be asked if you want it on a smartcard.

You'll presumably only be asked though if your point to point journey happens to be on the main line between Weymouth and wherever (Basingstoke is it?).

It isn't generally available yet, and I expect won't be in the London zones until the Oyster estate becomes dual Oyster/ITSO capable.

I also see from the instructions that touching in and out is supposedly compulsory with the smartcard seasons. More hassle compared to a paper version - can anyone see why it's needed other than at barriered stations?
 

wibble

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
636
It isn't generally available yet, and I expect won't be in the London zones until the Oyster estate becomes dual Oyster/ITSO capable.

Sorry, should've mentioned that too! They won't be able to roll it out on routes operated by more than one TOC (e.g. Fareham - Southampton) unless there's an agreement in place for FGW and Southern to accept ITSO. XC will accept them on their services Bournemouth - Basingstoke.

I wouldn't expect Oyster/ITSO compatability any time soon. EMV is being touted as an alternative to Oyster and I can see Oyster dying in the next few years. The outher benefit of EMV is it's ITSO complianance.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,305
Sorry, should've mentioned that too! They won't be able to roll it out on routes operated by more than one TOC (e.g. Fareham - Southampton) unless there's an agreement in place for FGW and Southern to accept ITSO. XC will accept them on their services Bournemouth - Basingstoke.

Southern's 2009 franchise required them to deal with smartcards in the SWT overlap area as well, like XC previously. FGW are probably the only problem as their franchise is older than SWT's.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top