• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ashford Depot Open Day 24/8/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,231
Location
Kent
Reason I heard ( was waiting for a 395 cab visit when they stopped) was because people were passing out waiting or in the cab!
Oh that 395 was insanely warm, I was starting to feel ill from it considering they didn't have any AC in the carriage where they were holding people. Still not got a clue who thought that would be a good idea...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Luckily we were able to squeeze in a cab tour of Clan Line, but that shut suddenly around 3 along with most of the maintenance and yard bit. Considering tickets were available to arrive at 4pm I'd be pretty annoyed that there was nothing to see in that hour.
I saw people queuing/going into the cab of Clan line around 3.30 and there was still a queue at 4pm. The maintenance and yard bit where the 73, 66 and 69 were stabled wasn't closed; yes most of the crowds had gone but I managed to walk around the yard and the shed. Maybe the marshals were stopping some people?

It was a great day; well turned out but the only gripe I had was the small number of food stalls and some over-zealous marshals. I found the SE staff more accommodating and welcoming
 

Trainguy34

Established Member
Joined
29 Apr 2023
Messages
1,231
Location
Kent
I saw people queuing/going into the cab of Clan line around 3.30 and there was still a queue at 4pm. The maintenance and yard bit where the 73, 66 and 69 were stabled wasn't closed; yes most of the crowds had gone but I managed to walk around the yard and the shed. Maybe the marshals were stopping some people?

It was a great day; well turned out but the only gripe I had was the small number of food stalls and some over-zealous marshals. I found the SE staff more accommodating and welcoming
At about 3.15 the maintenance and yard were shut, then we went to Clan Line but that was also shut, with most stalls beginning to pack up soon after. Did the maintenance and yard stuff reopen? The whole bit to get to that was blocked off when I looked.
 
Joined
16 Dec 2017
Messages
182
Overall I’m glad the day happened, but it could have gone smoother.

As it happened, I didn’t get into the shed because I started in the yard first. By the time I was ready for the shed sometime after 2, I was told it had shut. I’d be gutted if I allowed myself to be. Nowhere was such a cutoff advertised, and the trains in there were pitched as the main attraction!

The management of the cab visits could also have been more rigid. I totally understand that the cab minders were drivers and technicians and were just there to talk about their roles - I’m not going to fault them, they were fab - but some guest groups were sitting in cabs for almost 10 minutes. I got into one cab and the driver I was chatting to in the queue said they’d even opened up extra trains. It really needed a customer-facing person to move people on to try and give everyone a chance.
I’d even say they could have charged per cab visit (since the profits were going to charity anyway) and made it timed, to make it more organised.

The clear ramp down from 3pm was a shame given the event info had been updated to say it was now going on until 5.

Seating was very lacking for the number of people there, as were the food trucks. The pizza one ran out of pizzas and the ice cream man had finished his fresh ice cream by 3:30!

Overall, it felt as if the ticket sales had been unbounded but the food and activities had been planned for only so many.

All this is meant as constructive criticism. It was a good day and it was great to see so many interested families and people come.
What would be a shame now is to lose any learnings from the event, as well as the clear declaration of interest in it from the public. How much organisation it took, I don’t know, but if it was to become an annual event every August Bank holiday, it could be really tightened up by learning from this year, and I think there’s enough recurring interest from the public to make it worthwhile.
 
Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
I and my brother had a great time there yesterday. We booked for 11 (actually arrived a little early), and glad we did reading the other comments. We got to see everything. Skipped most of the cab visits though when we saw the queues. Did do the Thumper one (which was a lot shorter) though. We skipped eating there and headed for the Outlet Centre instead.
 

cduncan

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2025
Messages
124
Location
London
A few from the open day. I was one of the first ones having the 10:00 admission but I left at around 1pm as wanting go for lunch instead of getting some pricey chips (plus bit a queue for that).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9260.jpeg
    IMG_9260.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9262.jpeg
    IMG_9262.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9263.jpeg
    IMG_9263.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9270.jpeg
    IMG_9270.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9271.jpeg
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9259.jpeg
    IMG_9259.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58

RGM654

Member
Joined
19 Jul 2022
Messages
244
Location
Harrow
I had booked a ticket for entry between 12 and 1 but wasn't able to go. With what has been said about things closing early, I am somewhat re-assured that I would have missed quite a lot even if I had been there.
 

Bungle73

On Moderation
Joined
19 Aug 2011
Messages
3,216
Location
Kent
Did you guys get to see the train rerailment that was going on?

A selection of my photos I took at the event.
 

Attachments

  • 20250824_122455.jpg
    20250824_122455.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20250824_122037.jpg
    20250824_122037.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20250824_121442.jpg
    20250824_121442.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20250824_120020.jpg
    20250824_120020.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20250824_114414.jpg
    20250824_114414.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20250824_112851.jpg
    20250824_112851.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20250824_112006.jpg
    20250824_112006.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20250824_110329.jpg
    20250824_110329.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 20250824_104827.jpg
    20250824_104827.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2014
Messages
6,594
Location
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I had booked a ticket for entry between 12 and 1 but wasn't able to go. With what has been said about things closing early, I am somewhat re-assured that I would have missed quite a lot even if I had been there.
You wouldn't have missed anything. My wife and I spent the whole day there, arriving at 10am. I did not see anything shut.
 

55002

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2019
Messages
5,391
Location
Ldn
Here’s a video I saw earlier on YouTube from the Train World (Railway 200) channel on that platform. It is about 12 mins long and shows a walk around the Open day looking at the various exhibits on Show, both inside the shed and outside.

 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,210
Location
West Wiltshire
Hope everyone had a good day at the open day yesterday. Was wondering if 395008 was around and if it was what condition is it in at the moment?
Many thanks in advance for any replies
A video exists of it on a road transporter at Ramsgate 8 Sept


EDIT nighttime movement to Ashford

 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top