• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Artwork - Featuring Liverpool & Manchester Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBoland

New Member
Joined
20 Apr 2023
Messages
4
Location
St.Helens
Hi, just looking for some guidance and not sure I’m on the right site but here goes!

Was given this piece of artwork by my great uncle 8+ years ago as I’m from liverpool and my now wife from Manchester and we lived at an apartment at deansgate train station at the time and he give us this for the apartment.

He has since sadly passed and the artwork is still in our family home but no one knows its origins/price etc etc (probably other than him). He worked within art his whole life and had several valuable paintings. I want to make sure this isn’t something really obscure piece and I’ve got it hanging above my fireplace, uninsured!

Would anyone Be able to point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you
Mark
 

Attachments

  • 3CE20F81-9E1A-4436-964F-345C0B681566.jpeg
    3CE20F81-9E1A-4436-964F-345C0B681566.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2022
Messages
2,250
Location
UK
My best suggestion would be to contact, in the first instant, the archive curators at the National Railway Museum (NRM), with the image you have posted here, and perhaps in a wider context, the National Archives (TNA), although given the subject the NRM would be my first port of call.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
Hi, just looking for some guidance and not sure I’m on the right site but here goes!

Was given this piece of artwork by my great uncle 8+ years ago as I’m from liverpool and my now wife from Manchester and we lived at an apartment at deansgate train station at the time and he give us this for the apartment.

He has since sadly passed and the artwork is still in our family home but no one knows its origins/price etc etc (probably other than him). He worked within art his whole life and had several valuable paintings. I want to make sure this isn’t something really obscure piece and I’ve got it hanging above my fireplace, uninsured!

Would anyone Be able to point me in the right direction?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you
Mark
Hi Mark - Interesting thing.

Have you ever had it out of the frame?
Is it fabric or paper? (the way it is printed makes me wonder if it is to lie on a table (so all the images are the same way up) which is why I ask if it is cloth.

Any clues on it as to whether it looks like it is actually from c1830 when the railway opened, or some sort of reproduction? (the Railway line as you probably already know, being the world's first 'inter city' line was/is justifiably so famous as to have had much commemorative material made relating to it and anniversaries of its opening over the years that I have no doubt there is much stuff relating to is both old and rather newer. It's the route between the 2 cities via Rainhill & Newton Le Willows that you can still travel on today - but again you probably already know that!).

Hopefully people here will be able to give some good ideas as to its origins.

There are specialist 'Railwayana' auctioneers (eg Great Central Sheffield Railwayana being one) who would almost certainly have staff that could help assess it for value, including for insurance purposes - as not suggesting you would want to sell it. They may even be able to give you an initial indication from photos.

If it were genuinely old I'd be avoiding subjecting it to bright light due to risk of fading (and red is very susceptible to fading). But if it is not especially faded then that might be a clue to age.
 
Last edited:

MarkBoland

New Member
Joined
20 Apr 2023
Messages
4
Location
St.Helens
Hi Mark - Interesting thing.

Have you ever had it out of the frame?
Is it fabric or paper? (the way it is printed makes me wonder if it is to lie on a table (so all the images are the same way up) which is why I ask if it is cloth.

Any clues on it as to whether it looks like it is actually from c1830 when the railway opened, or some sort of reproduction? (the Railway line as you probably already know, being the world's first 'inter city' line was/is justifiably so famous as to have had much commemorative material made relating to it and anniversaries of its opening over the years that I have no doubt there is much stuff relating to is both old and rather newer. It's the route between the 2 cities via Rainhill & Newton Le Willows that you can still travel on today - but again you probably already know that!).

Hopefully people here will be able to give some good ideas as to its origins.

There are specialist 'Railwayana' auctioneers (eg Sheffield Railwayana being one) who would almost certainly have staff that could help assess it for value, including for insurance purposes - as not suggesting you would want to sell it. They may even be able to give you an initial indication from photos.

If it were genuinely old I'd be avoiding subjecting it to bright light due to risk of fading (and red is very susceptible to fading). But if it is not especially faded then that might be a clue to age.
Thanks for that, I do believe it to be very old. My uncle said it the embroidery was on a woman’s scarf? But again this was 8+ years ago and I didn’t go into great detail. I’ve never had it out of the frame as I wouldn’t want to ruin it. It was when we have just finished building a home when my wife said have I included the artwork on the insurance and it dawned on me…. I didn’t have the slightest idea how much it was worth or it’s origins Etc.

With regards to the languages - He was fluent in many European languages and he was originally from St.Helens.

Really appreciate your help.
Hi Mark - Interesting thing.

Have you ever had it out of the frame?
Is it fabric or paper? (the way it is printed makes me wonder if it is to lie on a table (so all the images are the same way up) which is why I ask if it is cloth.

Any clues on it as to whether it looks like it is actually from c1830 when the railway opened, or some sort of reproduction? (the Railway line as you probably already know, being the world's first 'inter city' line was/is justifiably so famous as to have had much commemorative material made relating to it and anniversaries of its opening over the years that I have no doubt there is much stuff relating to is both old and rather newer. It's the route between the 2 cities via Rainhill & Newton Le Willows that you can still travel on today - but again you probably already know that!).

Hopefully people here will be able to give some good ideas as to its origins.

There are specialist 'Railwayana' auctioneers (eg Sheffield Railwayana being one) who would almost certainly have staff that could help assess it for value, including for insurance purposes - as not suggesting you would want to sell it. They may even be able to give you an initial indication from photos.

If it were genuinely old I'd be avoiding subjecting it to bright light due to risk of fading (and red is very susceptible to fading). But if it is not especially faded then that might be a clue to age.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,424
Location
The Fens
There are specialist 'Railwayana' auctioneers (eg Sheffield Railwayana being one) who would almost certainly have staff that could help assess it for value
I would agree with this in general terms, but Sheffield Railwayana have not existed as a separate entity for many years. Great Central Railwayana Auctions own the Sheffield Railwayana name and use it occasionally. The other big player is Great Western Railwayana Auctions but there are others.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
I would agree with this in general terms, but Sheffield Railwayana have not existed as a separate entity for many years. Great Central Railwayana Auctions own the Sheffield Railwayana name and use it occasionally. The other big player is Great Western Railwayana Auctions but there are others.
Thanks for updating that info!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for that, I do believe it to be very old. My uncle said it the embroidery was on a woman’s scarf? But again this was 8+ years ago and I didn’t go into great detail. I’ve never had it out of the frame as I wouldn’t want to ruin it. It was when we have just finished building a home when my wife said have I included the artwork on the insurance and it dawned on me…. I didn’t have the slightest idea how much it was worth or it’s origins Etc.

With regards to the languages - He was fluent in many European languages and he was originally from St.Helens.

Really appreciate your help.
Thanks Mark - if you have a good sense that it is old then I'd say well worth getting it valued properly (even if you don't wish to sell and make it clear that you want a valuation that they would charge for) - quite often a valuer will give you different values for insurance purposes and for sale purposes, which seems odd but IIRC is the convention.

Obv keep an eye on the thread as people who know more about it may offer good advice if they see the post (just a thought but maybe change your tread title to eg 'Artwork featuring Liverpool and Manchester Railway' to catch the eye of people with a particular interest in this famous railway.

Also as suggested you may get good info (tho I suspect not valuations) from places like the National Railway Museum, The Friends of the National Railway Museum (volunteers who may have more time to help people!) or the Museums and Galleries on Merseyside.
 
Last edited:

MarkBoland

New Member
Joined
20 Apr 2023
Messages
4
Location
St.Helens
I would agree with this in general terms, but Sheffield Railwayana have not existed as a separate entity for many years. Great Central Railwayana Auctions own the Sheffield Railwayana name and use it occasionally. The other big player is Great Western Railwayana Auctions but there are others.
Thank you, appreciate that.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Thanks for updating that info!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thanks Mark - if you have a good sense that it is old then I'd say well worth getting it valued properly (even if you don't wish to sell and make it clear that you want a valuation that they would charge for) - quite often a valuer will give you different values for insurance purposes and for sale purposes, which seems odd but IIRC is the convention.

Obv keep an eye on the thread as people who know more about it may offer good advice if they see the post (just a thought but maybe change your tread title to eg 'Artwork featuring Liverpool and Manchester Railway' to catch the eye of people with a particular interest in this famous railway.

Also as suggested you may get good info (tho I suspect not valuations) from places like the National Railway Museum, The Friends of the National Railway Museum (volunteers who may have more time to help people!) or the Museums and Galleries on Merseyside.
Brilliant, thank you. That’s really beneficial
 

timmydunn

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2019
Messages
80
Location
London
So that I might shortcut both your time and that of those at York. ;) I can tell you immediately that this is likely 1830, unless there was a more recent recreation done. Check the third image - at least one version of this has 1831 in it.

It is a handkerchief. Yes, a handkerchief. There’s one in the collection: https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...iverpool-manchester-railway-1830-handkerchief

Value? Seems to be between £300-£1000 if online auction records are believed.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,356
So that I might shortcut both your time and that of those at York. ;) I can tell you immediately that this is likely 1830, unless there was a more recent recreation done. Check the third image - at least one version of this has 1831 in it.

It is a handkerchief. Yes, a handkerchief. There’s one in the collection: https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...iverpool-manchester-railway-1830-handkerchief

Value? Seems to be between £300-£1000 if online auction records are believed.
A very interesting link Mr Dunn! Complete with a letter of authentication - or sort of. Excellent research.
 

MarkBoland

New Member
Joined
20 Apr 2023
Messages
4
Location
St.Helens
So that I might shortcut both your time and that of those at York. ;) I can tell you immediately that this is likely 1830, unless there was a more recent recreation done. Check the third image - at least one version of this has 1831 in it.

It is a handkerchief. Yes, a handkerchief. There’s one in the collection: https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...iverpool-manchester-railway-1830-handkerchief

Value? Seems to be between £300-£1000 if online auction records are believed.
Brilliant, really interesting. Much appreciated
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top