• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Art - What type of paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceflower

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2007
Messages
1,506
So wandering around last minute Christmas shopping, I was lured into the BHF charity shop by the thought of finding something random. Well, 5 minutes later and ten quid lighter, I emerged with the most awkward to carry impulse buy I've fallen for to date.

It is a large, framed black and white (well green and white) version of this...


I don't even like it in its current state but fancy 'colouring it up' to impart some of my own taste into it. After which it will probably worth a small fortune ;)

What kind of paints would you recommend?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joined
25 Jan 2021
Messages
281
Location
Bristol
So wandering around last minute Christmas shopping, I was lured into the BHF charity shop by the thought of finding something random. Well, 5 minutes later and ten quid lighter, I emerged with the most awkward to carry impulse buy I've fallen for to date.

It is a large, framed black and white (well green and white) version of this...


I don't even like it in its current state but fancy 'colouring it up' to impart some of my own taste into it. After which it will probably worth a small fortune ;)

What kind of paints would you recommend?
Green and white sounds as if it’s a print that has faded in the sunlight.

Good quality artists acrylics might be your best bet, Daler-Rowney do a starter pack of small tubes of the most commonly-used colours, at a fairly reasonable price. Be cautious about diluting them too much though, depending on the quality/weight of the paper, wrinkling can occur.

Or try pastels if you want to try and match the subtlety of the version in your link.
 

Spaceflower

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2007
Messages
1,506
Green and white sounds as if it’s a print that has faded in the sunlight.

Good quality artists acrylics might be your best bet, Daler-Rowney do a starter pack of small tubes of the most commonly-used colours, at a fairly reasonable price. Be cautious about diluting them too much though, depending on the quality/weight of the paper, wrinkling can occur.

Or try pastels if you want to try and match the subtlety of the version in your link.
I was thinking about a dusk scene or perhaps a clear, moonlit night. So some quite crisp colours rather than err, I'd call the original pale or washed out even.....?
 

Spaceflower

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2007
Messages
1,506
Most people post model updates and the like on here so this is thread is going to be my motivation.

It'll happen slowly but let it happen all the same.

PS I have NO experience of painting so this might turn out to be more 'fog on the Tyne' than a romantic star studded sky ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top