• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva Trains Wales WAG2 67003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Reported that 67001 and 002 are next, if 002 does gain this livery, could it lose the name Special Delivery but it does need a repaint.
Thanks, Sam
 

4468

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2009
Messages
29
Location
Here
Such a shame, I do hope 67002 does not get the Arriva treatment, it is my favourite locomotive, even if it did crash in Bristol and end up on a wagon, it does not deserve to loose it's name.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
Such a shame, I do hope 67002 does not get the Arriva treatment, it is my favourite locomotive, even if it did crash in Bristol and end up on a wagon, it does not deserve to loose it's name.
I'm happy as long as the loco has guaranteed, regular work rather than the under-utilisation of many members of the class that has been familiar since EWS lost the Royal Mail contract, irrelevant of what livery it is in.

There was a great deal of irony to be derived from a loco named "Special Delivery" ending up atop a HAA coal hopper like it did in the Bristol crash :lol:
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
Nice photo. Good to see a 67 in Arriva livery, though it currently looks a little plain, almost photo shopped. Will it be given Arriva logos/decals etc? I think these will help break up the plainness of the blue.

Probably, when management has been able to decide how to adapt the Arriva logo to fit a 3D bodyside and redimension/cut the vinyls accordingly (don't mention that WSMR looked great, keep them thinking). Shifting the bodyside ribs is not feasible.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Replacing the ATW Class 57s (or supplementing them)

If the 67s replace the 57s, will they go to Network Rail to add to the fleet of ex-VT 57/3s there? It seems silly to have 2 sub-fleets of locomotives to work 2 once-a-day trains.
 

I T S

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2010
Messages
576
whats the future for 57313/316? Stored or back to virgin branded?
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I thought it was photoshopped when i 1st saw it. ATW had better start training their staff if they are going over to 67 & dvt operation in december. That should free up the class 175 which is currently used on WAG2

The 175 was taken off the franchise run to Cardiff, and questions have been raised about this switch to run it open access, paid to Dec by WAG. It wont be freed up, but put back where it was supposed to be, but it free up the 150 that is its replacement. This was a nice little half year earner for ATW, £625K plus all the fares,hiring the 175 from itself.

The current Minister I understand is not so keen to bankroll this 175 past Dec out of WAG funds if the WAG2 £3.5 million subsidised 67 is not ready,
 
Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
4,861
One thing ive always noticed though with the ATW WAG blue, is its simularity to BR Blue - Very Very close indeed - Noticed how close when 57316 Came into Eastleigh Works several winters ago and it was placed next to 73119 - The temptation to find any spare arrows came in my mind then too!
I disagree. I think these pictures of the 67 look very similar to BR blue yes, but it looks different to the colour used on the WAG express coaches and 57s and the ATW refurbed 158s. The WAG colour is more like a very dark, slightly more blueish, version of Arriva turquoise, whereas the 67 looks more like BR blue.

Not only do they need painting they will also need conversions to be able to work with a DVT
I thought it was the other way round, ie. they decided to modify the DVTs to work with 67s rather than modify the 67s to work with the DVTs.
 

87015

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2006
Messages
5,078
Location
GEML/WCML/SR
No, you modify 67s to work with DVTs
Well a bog standard TDM fitted Mk3 DVT won't work with a 67, whether the skip has remote fire bottles or not. I'd say AAR multi/control fitting is quite a big mod to the DVT!
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I think the WSM DVTs were modified to worjk with the 67s, using the AAR multiple system, weren't they, which was why they were renumbered 823xx.
 

jonhewes

Member
Joined
8 Oct 2008
Messages
99
No, you modify 67s to work with DVTs

No you don't. As said previously, the DVTs are retrofitted with AAR control equipment in order to be able to remotely control the 67s.

The only modification made to the class 67s is the fitting of remote fire suppression equipment.

This has been the case with both the WSMR sets and the EWS executive train.
 

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
I thought it was the other way round, ie. they decided to modify the DVTs to work with 67s rather than modify the 67s to work with the DVTs.

Technically speaking the DVT's also need to be modified as in the past the control was through the TDM and now it is through the jumper cable however the loco's need to be modified with the fire precautions if not you need a fireman in the rear loco to shut the engine down if there is a fire. An unmodified 67 will work with a modified DVT so, yes you are correct in what you are saying!
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
Which DVTs are to be used
Thanks, Sam

Whichever DVTs are in any of DB Regio pools - what they are, nobody knows...Looks like itll be a case of wait and see really - same situation with the Mk3s, Which ones are they going to use: Ex DRS, Virgin, Cargo D???
 
Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Joined
19 Apr 2008
Messages
4,164
Location
Crewe
same situation with the Mk3s, Which ones are they going to use: Ex DRS, Virgin, Cargo D???

I would imagine which ones they get refurbed in time if any!

I can see hired cargo D stock being used in the offset if ATW don't get the Mk3's finished in time, however I would bet that the 175 will remain on the WAG2 longer than expected due to the hire costs of the Mk3's.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Glad I found this thread, I saw a 67 on the Chat Moss line earlier headed into Manchester and I did wonder what livery it was carrying (I only saw the rear of it), it looked like this one so guess that's what it was.
 

Schnellzug

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2011
Messages
2,926
Location
Evercreech Junction
I would imagine which ones they get refurbed in time if any!

I can see hired cargo D stock being used in the offset if ATW don't get the Mk3's finished in time, however I would bet that the 175 will remain on the WAG2 longer than expected due to the hire costs of the Mk3's.

Might actually make them a bit of money for once, since the Kitchen Car is still out of order ... :oops:
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,651
Location
Hampshire
I would imagine which ones they get refurbed in time if any!

I can see hired cargo D stock being used in the offset if ATW don't get the Mk3's finished in time, however I would bet that the 175 will remain on the WAG2 longer than expected due to the hire costs of the Mk3's.

Might actually make them a bit of money for once, since the Kitchen Car is still out of order ... :oops:

Doubt it would make Cargo D Any money, considering how much of the Mk3 fleet it has slowly sold onto DB Regio (Quite a fair few i believe)...
 

jones_bangor

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2011
Messages
856
Doubt it would make Cargo D Any money, considering how much of the Mk3 fleet it has slowly sold onto DB Regio (Quite a fair few i believe)...

Presumably a 67 and DVT could operate with the existing mark 2 stock and Mk3 restaurant first in any case?

Not sure if there's a 2nd Mk3 restaurant about, but there's certainly enough Mk2's to make a couple of trains......
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
they need modified (as with the WSMR stock) to have the AAR cabling and connectors- the AAR system doesn't use the RCH jumpers and lighting cables used by the older system
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
Presumably a 67 and DVT could operate with the existing mark 2 stock and Mk3 restaurant first in any case?

Not sure if there's a 2nd Mk3 restaurant about, but there's certainly enough Mk2's to make a couple of trains......

Why are the Mark 2s being withdrawn, I went on one recently and it was very comfortable, just as good as NXEA's Mark 3s. Mark 2s can work with DVTs can't they, Virgin used to do that alot I think.
 

jones_bangor

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2011
Messages
856
Why are the Mark 2s being withdrawn, I went on one recently and it was very comfortable, just as good as NXEA's Mark 3s. Mark 2s can work with DVTs can't they, Virgin used to do that alot I think.

Indeed, they are very comfortable coaches. I hope they aren't left in Canton in sidings to rot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top