ATW are still having problems with their 175s. On Saturday I travelled from Neath to Manchester, was on the 0906 Neath, therefore the 0955 departure from Cardiff Central. At Cardiff there was an announcement there was a problem with the set and engineers were working on it, passengers for Newport were advised to transfer to the 1000 Taunton service which was on the next platform which indicated we could be a while. Fortunately just after 10am we were off but there was an announcement after Shrewbury that the set would get taken out of service at Crewe and replaced with a new set (I assume from Chester depot??). In fairness to ATW they had the other set ready and waiting on the next platform and everyone was kept well informed, albeit that the replacement set was a 2 car 175 not the 3 that was booked. Someone was ranting to someone else about the silliness of a 2 car on such a busy service between Crewe and Manchester and not having the seat reservations! I really felt like saying it wasnt Arriva's fault and they did well to find a replacement set at all, otherwise it could have been a cancelled train at Crewe and either use Northern Rail/Virgin Trains to get to Manchester or wait an hour for the next ATW. As it was we arrived into Manchester about 6 or 7 mins late.
As we departed Crewe I could see the out of service set going on the line towards Chester so I assume it would be worked on there. The 1330 return journey to Pembroke Dock was then obviously short formed as a 2 car 175. Not sure whether it would have had seat reservations? I also noticed another 175 on another platform at Piccadilly (ours went onto platform 3 when usually its almost always 8 or 9 when ive been there) think this other set was on Platform 8, it said out of service on the front, so did another set fail? I think it was a 3 car.
I hadnt realised all but 2 of the Milford-Carmarthen-Cardiff-Manchester diagrams were 3 car now. Which two diagrams are 2 car still? Does this mean Holyhead-Cardiff are mostly 2 cars then?