• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are you only interested in British trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Are you only interested in British trains?

If so, is it simply because they are more accessible to you given you live in the UK? Or another reason?

Is there a difference in awareness and knowledge of the neighbouring networks compared to enthusiasts in other European countries?

Are British railway professionals and people in charge of railways in the UK sufficiently aware of what happens outside the UK, or is such knowledge irrelevant?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hughesfowler

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2009
Messages
113
been to the Harz mountain system in east germany twice, at some stations in the snow the only way to get from one platform to the other is to walk across the tracks, could you imagine that here.

leaving Wernigerode a lot of the houses back yards lead right onto the tracks.

seems to me over there if you get knocked over tough, you should not have been there in the first place.
 

465fan

On Moderation
Joined
26 Jul 2009
Messages
503
Location
Bexley
Yep - only interested in British!
I have a very low knowledge of European, don't have the desire to learn, so just leave it
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Yes, Britain only please
Been to see other trains in other countries but they just don't do anything for me, including NI and Eire
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I just don't really care about what happens in Europe, though NI / RoI / USA / Canada / Aussie / NZ etc rail is growing on me ;)
 

Nonsense

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2009
Messages
293
Sort of. Its more British railways than British Trains. Had no interest in the German Ice until one visited London, but now they're on the radar!

I'd count the Le Shuttle locos as British but have no interest at all, I can only conclude that's because they're too big to ever be seen on Network Rail.

I often wish Ireland was standard gauge, if only because of the occasional stock exchange that might have happened with works visits or stock hire. I'd imagine NI would have probably had a more direct cascade of stock from BR if that had been the case. Peaks in Belfast or something.
 
Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I just find them more interesting, not so much because they all speak English, but because I have good geographical and historical etc knowledge of them, so can appreciate them more than I can Germany etc.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
Pretty much only interested in UK rail (and I include NI in that) and with a passing interest in Irish and US. I guess it's mostly and access thing it's a whole lot easier to get out and about on my home railway network than it is to do in Europe but there is also a language barrier in that I don't speak another language fluently (I can sort of do a bit of German but not much anymore).
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
but there is also a language barrier in that I don't speak another language fluently (I can sort of do a bit of German but not much anymore).

You don't really need to know the language to get around most of Europe. Most of the European railway companies have English websites and many railway staff speak English.
 

Yank 119

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2008
Messages
97
Location
Florence, South Carolina, USA
Are you only interested in British trains?

No. I specialize in American, British, Canadian, and continental European railways. It's a lot of fun to see how different people go about running trains and how culture plays into how things are done. You will not find many Americans like me. Most American enthusiasts are all about US railroads, mostly because of lack of knowledge about what goes on elsewhere. They are really missing out, in my opinion. Just like I think some of the posters here would benefit from a little world travel. Trains are interesting anywhere you go!

If so, is it simply because they are more accessible to you given you live in the UK? Or another reason?

I've only been to the UK once and was impressed immediately with the railways. I had not done enough research to know a lot about what I was looking at and riding, but I've been interested in British railways ever since that first trip. I shall never forget some of the things I saw in 2004 that are now gone. Valenta HSTs and London slammers, anyone?

Is there a difference in awareness and knowledge of the neighbouring networks compared to enthusiasts in other European countries?

I would think it depends on where exactly you're talking about. There are rail enthusiasts everywhere. Places like France and Germany have extensive networks that play a vital role in daily life, so general public knowledge and number of enthusiasts is likely to be greater. Probably not the same story somewhere like Bulgaria or Bosnia.

Are British railway professionals and people in charge of railways in the UK sufficiently aware of what happens outside the UK, or is such knowledge irrelevant?

I'd say it's relevant, since the UK rail network has been connected to France's since 1994. All this talk about DB International services certainly proves it's on somebody's mind. I'm in no position to say anything else.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I would think it depends on where exactly you're talking about. There are rail enthusiasts everywhere. Places like France and Germany have extensive networks that play a vital role in daily life, so general public knowledge and number of enthusiasts is likely to be greater. Probably not the same story somewhere like Bulgaria or Bosnia.

My sentence should have been a bit clearer. I was wondering whether, for example, a Dutch enthusiast would know more about German, Belgian and British trains than someone from the UK would know about Dutch, Belgian and German trains.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I'm only really interested in trains in the UK/RoI. I'm sure if I lived in Europe I'd be interested in their trains, but I don't, and as it is there's enough to keep me going here.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
I'd say it's relevant, since the UK rail network has been connected to France's since 1994. All this talk about DB International services certainly proves it's on somebody's mind. I'm in no position to say anything else.

I'm almost certain a lack of awareness of continental systems has affected the way British trains are organised. Something that springs to mind immediately is the attitude to connections and direct trains. For example, it is widely accepted in the UK that you need to provide as many direct trains as possible and it is not particularly important to provide good and easy connections. Someone familiar with Swiss or Dutch networks would find this weird.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm only really interested in trains in the UK/RoI. I'm sure if I lived in Europe I'd be interested in their trains, but I don't, and as it is there's enough to keep me going here.

But you do live in Europe! :) I have noticed a particular interest in ROI trains even though it is just as easy, if not easier, for many British enthusiasts to get to France, Belgium or the Netherlands.
 

Yank 119

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2008
Messages
97
Location
Florence, South Carolina, USA
My sentence should have been a bit clearer. I was wondering whether, for example, a Dutch enthusiast would know more about German, Belgian and British trains than someone from the UK would know about Dutch, Belgian and German trains.

Ah, that does make more sense! I'd imagine it would have a lot to do with proximity and language knowledge. I have not had enough experience to formulate any opinions on this particular question. The Dutch probably have a better grasp on everything given the number of languages they grow up speaking. Just speculation, and probably bad speculation at that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm almost certain a lack of awareness of continental systems has affected the way British trains are organised. Something that springs to mind immediately is the attitude to connections and direct trains. For example, it is widely accepted in the UK that you need to provide as many direct trains as possible and it is not particularly important to provide good and easy connections. Someone familiar with Swiss or Dutch networks would find this weird.

VERY good point! There is something to be said for British railway "culture" there compared to the ways other people go about doing things.
 
Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
As a regular traveller on DB local services when I'm over in Germany - I am definitely interested in what is going on. NS and SNCB also interest me greatly. I often use continental ideas as suggestions because some of them are very good ideas that could be applied to our network. I suppose having family over there helps as well as knowledge of the language. The temptation to explore is great because five people can travel all over the country on a Saturday or Sunday for just 36 euros! Can't imagine that in the UK. Its nice also to be able to get away from our fragmented profit driven system. Plus, I am a major fan of double decker trains (especially DB loco hauled dostos) , they are brilliant
 
Last edited:

lemonic

Member
Joined
17 Sep 2010
Messages
497
As well as the UK railway network, I am particularly interested in the German network and also the Polish network (due to family in Poland). I am also slightly interested in French, Dutch and Belgian trains. It is very interesting to make comparisons between networks and see the good and bad points of each network. Also the trains can vary enormously so it is nice to compare the differences.
 

lancastrian

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2010
Messages
537
Location
Bolton, Lancashire
Are you only interested in British trains?

If so, is it simply because they are more accessible to you given you live in the UK? Or another reason?

Is there a difference in awareness and knowledge of the neighbouring networks compared to enthusiasts in other European countries?

Are British railway professionals and people in charge of railways in the UK sufficiently aware of what happens outside the UK, or is such knowledge irrelevant?

Yes I am primarily interested in only British and Irish Railways. I have travelled on both quite regularly. I have also traveld on Belgium, Dutch, German, Austrian, Swiss and Italian railways, they are OK, but no real interest. The only thing that I truely like about continental railways is that they are run on a common sense basis. If you need to cross the tracks with a wheelchair, you just check to see if all is clear and cross on the flat. Plus the daft regulation that all British lines hace to be fenced, just see how much fencing there is on the continent, very little, and that mainly to keep animals from straying on the line.

If you are daft enough to try and race a train across the tracks and you get injured or killed its your fault, not the railways. We need that here, it would save millions of compensation to those morrons who think that the railway is a place to walk, play or just trespuse on, yet the same crettins do do the same on a motorway. Although to be honest, there are a few you really are that stupid.

End of rant.:-x
 

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
I only really follow British trains but I do love to travel by train whatever country I am in.

I often holiday/travel with friends and they will happily choose trains for a few legs of our adventures just to satisfy my nerdines :)

Done trains in America, China, Vietnam, Germany, France, Russia and enjoyed them. I really want to do Helsinki to Lapland in Finland next. I think I like them for the journey, view and destination when abroad, while in the UK, I just like trains!!!
 
Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
My interest is in the combination of railway infrastructure and trains, it means I have very little interest of developments abroad unless they can impact our network here. But even here I seem to have an area of interest, for example I was reading the final edition of the Scotland RUS published today and after reading executive summary I realised I just didnt care about the rest, I also dont really care about the south eastern network.
 

OuterDistant

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2010
Messages
609
Location
TOPS Area 43
As a kid I used to think that all American locos looked the same, and wondered how they ran trains at all given the long stretches of single line.

The British loading gauge also tricks me into thinking that European trains look "bloated", too!
 

Skimble19

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2009
Messages
1,508
Location
London
I'm only really interested in the UK and German railways.. the rest isn't particularly interesting and is generally just a run down mess. (although there are a few countries that are exceptions to that and have railways far better than our own!).
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Mainly UK, although I do like the NYC Subway and Chicago El, which is about it. I'm sure when I do travel on a train outside the UK I'll enjoy the experience all the same.
 

Chester025

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
1,066
I'm only really interested in trains in the UK/RoI. I'm sure if I lived in Europe I'd be interested in their trains, but I don't, and as it is there's enough to keep me going here.

Err you live in Shipley don't you? In which case you do live in Europe. ;)
 

43106

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2008
Messages
384
Location
South-ish Edinburgh
I like whatever railways are there. I had a long weekend in Paris a few years ago, and I went on the Metro a few times, which was enjoyable, apart from the knife-fight on Nationale station on line 6! Quite a difference between that and LUL! Went again in 2008 and I had an afternoon at Montparnasse.
In 2008, I had a week in Switzerland. I spent about 2 hours on Thun station, watching trains going to/from Italy via Visp, Brig and a couple of long tunnels (dunno which ones). I went on the Jungfraujoch railway (Europe's highest train station) from Interlaken - Brilliant - you have to use 3 different systems to get there.
I take an interest in ANY foreign railway system to see how different it is from Britain. In most cases, Britain is found wanting. Europe spend REAL money on their railways, and it shows.
 

crewmeal

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2007
Messages
462
Location
Birmingham
I used to love UK trains but DMUs (voyagers) pendos (EMUs) are boring. I love Syrian trains with their 70's Wagon Lit coaches + sleepers being hauled by EWS 67's. A brilliant combination. I must dig out some photos.
 

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
1,660
Location
Greater London
I quite agree with Yank119s earlier post, although I am guilty of only liking Britains railways.

As an aircraft enthusiast too its quite diffrent, you can't just like 'british' aircraft as many aircraft that are used here are used in europe and else where (exsample Boeing 747-400s, A321s, A320s)! :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top