• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are ticket barriers becoming more "rebellious"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Veteran Member
Joined
11 Aug 2010
Messages
11,530
Location
Taunton or Kent
Something I seem to have noticed is that at a number of London Terminals, ticket barriers seem to be rejecting a greater proportion of tickets/passes/etc., which leads to greater crowds at the barriers and general frustration, especially if one's own ticket is affected. I know some stations have barriers that reject certain ticket types otherwise valid so they can be checked to catch fare evaders (e.g. child tickets), but are there any other groups? Could there be a reliability issue causing more rejections, particularly with an increasing variety of ticket formats/mediums for presentation, or could it just be perception through there being more passengers than in the past? If there are more ticket types deliberately rejected so manual checks can be made I think for ease of passenger movement more manned gates are required, but that's a whole debate in itself.

(I was toying between Fares advice and Infrastructure for this, so please move if not in right place)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Some newish ticket types appear not to be set up correctly. For example super off peak day travelcards at places like Liverpool Street and Paddington.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,828
Location
West of Andover
Some newish ticket types appear not to be set up correctly. For example super off peak day travelcards at places like Liverpool Street and Paddington.
I noticed that a few weeks ago when using a "Sunday Out" travelcard from Basingstoke, worked in all barriers other than those operated by Elizabeth Line & Overground (mainly Forest Gate, Wansted Park & Barking Riverside)

Bit of a pain trying to get the attention of the member of staff who was busy in a side office.
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I know some stations have barriers that reject certain ticket types otherwise valid so they can be checked to catch fare evaders (e.g. child tickets), but are there any other groups? ... If there are more ticket types deliberately rejected so manual checks can be made I think for ease of passenger movement more manned gates are required, but that's a whole debate in itself.
The "reject all Railcard-discounted tickets" programming that's apparently used in some places is a right pain.

As noted in previous discussions, a better system would use a visible indicator (like London Underground's barriers have) to signal to revenue inspectors that the passenger should be checked, but without holding the passenger up if there aren't any staff to do the checking.
 

lxfe_mxtterz

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2018
Messages
1,072
Location
Sarahdale (West of Emmerdale)
In my experience, pretty much every single ticket ever gets rejected at Norwich station - causes massive crowds coming off the train from London Liverpool Street, especially as there's often only one member of staff to manually approve all of the tickets.

Then again, I've only ever travelled to Norwich on the aforementioned services from London, and these have all been on advance tickets, so it may be the case that the barriers are set up to reject these.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,812
In my experience, pretty much every single ticket ever gets rejected at Norwich station - causes massive crowds coming off the train from London Liverpool Street, especially as there's often only one member of staff to manually approve all of the tickets.

Then again, I've only ever travelled to Norwich on the aforementioned services from London, and these have all been on advance tickets, so it may be the case that the barriers are set up to reject these.
That’s not been my experience at Norwich using railcard discounted Advance tickets.
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,016
Location
Bracknell
I find the barriers at Waterloo platforms 20-24 frequently reject my travel card on the return journey (rarely on the incoming one) just minutes after it has let me through the underground ones.
I assume they are programmed to also reject off peak tickets before 9am or so, like at Southampton when I arrived at 0845 for the 0900 - nice smile from the chap at the gate line after a quick glance.
 

Birkonian

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2017
Messages
292
I used a paper ticket to travel from London St. Pancras CIV to Birmingham on Monday. It didn't work at any tube or mainline station.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,850
Location
Epsom
I used a paper ticket to travel from London St. Pancras CIV to Birmingham on Monday. It didn't work at any tube or mainline station.
Any CIV ticket will be a programmed reject ( for manual examination ) just about everywhere because it offers such a serious discount against a normal ticket.
 
Joined
2 Feb 2019
Messages
1,039
Several times this year both late morning and late afternoon the ticket gates at Waterloo failed to open so I could board a train for part of my return journey on an off peak return ticket valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays. I never had this problem before this year. I had to get the tickets manually checked by ticket gate staff who opened the gates to allow me to board the train. The ticket gates opened with my ticket at my final destination. I never had this problem with off peak return tickets at Waterloo before this year. I am told that the ticket gates at Waterloo have been programmed not to open for off peak tickets to force manual checks despite off peak tickets being valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays. I am guessing this is a result of SWR selling super off peak tickets with differing valid times and the ticket gates being unable to distinguish between off peak tickets valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays and super off peak tickets which have a difficult to remember and inconvenient range of valid times. I always avoid super off peak tickets, I do not like them and I would prefer to see them withdrawn from sale because of the complicated and inconvenient valid times, because they make the ticketing system too complicated with too many tickets for the same journey and above all because of this problem with the ticket gates at London Waterloo. I cannot take seriously claims by the Government and the TOCs that they want to reduce costs on the railway when they are blocking the use of automatic ticket checking and forcing manual ticket checks at the busiest station in the country.
 

Ralph Ayres

Member
Joined
2 May 2012
Messages
261
Location
West London
Had the return half of a Super Off-peak Return to Loughborough rejected today when starting the journey at Loughborough. Gate said it was past its valid date despite the return half being valid for a month from yesterday (Reject code 113). St Pancras gates were quite happy to let me out 90 minutes later!
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,548
London Bridge often rejects Network Railcard discounted tickets. It's a right pain.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
Several times this year both late morning and late afternoon the ticket gates at Waterloo failed to open so I could board a train for part of my return journey on an off peak return ticket valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays. I never had this problem before this year. I had to get the tickets manually checked by ticket gate staff who opened the gates to allow me to board the train. The ticket gates opened with my ticket at my final destination. I never had this problem with off peak return tickets at Waterloo before this year. I am told that the ticket gates at Waterloo have been programmed not to open for off peak tickets to force manual checks despite off peak tickets being valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays. I am guessing this is a result of SWR selling super off peak tickets with differing valid times and the ticket gates being unable to distinguish between off peak tickets valid at all times outside 0430 to 0930 on weekdays and super off peak tickets which have a difficult to remember and inconvenient range of valid times. I always avoid super off peak tickets, I do not like them and I would prefer to see them withdrawn from sale because of the complicated and inconvenient valid times, because they make the ticketing system too complicated with too many tickets for the same journey and above all because of this problem with the ticket gates at London Waterloo. I cannot take seriously claims by the Government and the TOCs that they want to reduce costs on the railway when they are blocking the use of automatic ticket checking and forcing manual ticket checks at the busiest station in the country.
I think tickets at Waterloo Mainline will always be a problem just because of the complexities of ticketing there, as well as restrictions from Southwest railways own services they have to cope with a different set of restrictions for cross London tickets, another set of restrictions for GTR owned flows and another set for Southeastern own flows. I doubt that the barriers have the capacity to correctly deal with every variation.
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
A while ago I got my Brondesbury - Farnborough Main or North not via London Sunday Out (26-30 Railcard) ticket rejected at Willesden Junction entry. There was no staff around and I had to force through the barrier.
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,288
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
I think tickets at Waterloo Mainline will always be a problem just because of the complexities of ticketing there, as well as restrictions from Southwest railways own services they have to cope with a different set of restrictions for cross London tickets, another set of restrictions for GTR owned flows and another set for Southeastern own flows. I doubt that the barriers have the capacity to correctly deal with every variation.
They certainly should have, admittedly the barriers we have in Newcastle are from a different manufacturer but they cope with all restriction.
 

hkstudent

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
1,430
Location
SE London
A while ago I got my Brondesbury - Farnborough Main or North not via London Sunday Out (26-30 Railcard) ticket rejected at Willesden Junction entry. There was no staff around and I had to force through the barrier.
Send a complain to TfL for the lack of gateline staff that would trap passengers. But don't mention about the force through the barrier.
 

AM9

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
16,060
Location
St Albans
Send a complain to TfL for the lack of gateline staff that would trap passengers. But don't mention about the force through the barrier.
If you were delayed 15 minutes at the end of a journey because a gateline wouldn't accept a ticket and there were no staff to assist, would that qualify for delay repay?
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
I find the barriers at Waterloo platforms 20-24 frequently reject my travel card on the return journey (rarely on the incoming one) just minutes after it has let me through the underground ones.
I assume they are programmed to also reject off peak tickets before 9am or so, like at Southampton when I arrived at 0845 for the 0900 - nice smile from the chap at the gate line after a quick glance.
I suspect they are probably rejecting them because they have been timestamped going through the underground barriers recently and its being incorrectly identified as a pass back
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
I suspect they are probably rejecting them because they have been timestamped going through the underground barriers recently and its being incorrectly identified as a pass back
Doesn't a pass back mean using the same gateline repeatedly? It is absolutely normal to use a Travelcard in different barriers in quick succession, for example, seconds between different gatelines at an interchange station.
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,016
Location
Bracknell
They always work the other way, arrive Waterloo (just after 10am) and immediately through the underground barriers no issue. Interestingly though the other day I walked back from London Bridge and the Waterloo 20-24 barriers accepted the travel card no problem so there may be an element of truth in your theory.
 
Joined
2 Feb 2019
Messages
1,039
I think tickets at Waterloo Mainline will always be a problem just because of the complexities of ticketing there, as well as restrictions from Southwest railways own services they have to cope with a different set of restrictions for cross London tickets, another set of restrictions for GTR owned flows and another set for Southeastern own flows. I doubt that the barriers have the capacity to correctly deal with every variation.
At least the ticket gate staff at Waterloo accepted that my off peak return ticket was valid and opened the gate.There is clearly a problem at Paddington with staff not understanding the details of restrictions on off peak tickets and blocking passengers boarding trains for which their tickets are valid which is totally unacceptable. Offering several different tickets with different time restrictions for the same journey also causes confusion for rail passengers trying to buy tickets on ticket vending machines and forcing them to ask ticket office staff which ticket to buy which undermines the policy of trying to reduce the use of ticket offices. The railway industry has comprehensively failed to properly administer the complex range of time restrictions which they have created on off peak and super off peak tickets and the railway industry's attempts to do this are increasing costs, undermining productivity, reducing fare revenue, forcing passengers to use ticket offices instead of ticket vending machines and causing rail passengers to be blocked from boarding trains for which their tickets are valid. The only solution is for restrictions on off peak tickets to be limited to 0430 to 0929 on working days, for all restrictions on off peak tickets outside these times to be abolished and for all super off peak tickets with restrictions outside these times to be withdrawn from sale. The Government and the TOCs cannot credibly claim that they are interested in reducing costs on the railway unless they do this. With a reduction in commuter numbers post-COVID restrictions outside the weekday morning peak are no longer justified.
 

paul1609

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2006
Messages
7,992
Location
K
They certainly should have, admittedly the barriers we have in Newcastle are from a different manufacturer but they cope with all restriction.
Waterloo is a particularly complicated location because in common with most south east stations it has peak and contra peak flows and restrictions. Some southeastern flows can be legitamately be used in both directions because of but not limited to Vauxhalls London Terminal status (and other flows at Waterloo East).
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Doesn't a pass back mean using the same gateline repeatedly? It is absolutely normal to use a Travelcard in different barriers in quick succession, for example, seconds between different gatelines at an interchange station.
It's probably incorrectly programmed the waterloo gateline as the same gateline or the london underground ticket is encoding the incorrect gateline on the barrier and this has not been picked up due to the relatively small amount of paper tickets that use platform 20-24
 

miklcct

Established Member
Joined
2 May 2021
Messages
5,017
Location
Cricklewood
relatively small amount of paper tickets that use platform 20-24
Isn't outboundary Travelcards very common in the former Network SouthEast area? They can only be issued as paper tickets and a significant portion of people who live outside London use these to go to London.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Isn't outboundary Travelcards very common in the former Network SouthEast area? They can only be issued as paper tickets and a significant portion of people who live outside London use these to go to London.
Most services from platform 20-24 are local journeys within zones 1-6. With people further afield taking faster services from other platforms . It is highly likely the predominant form of ticket is either oyster, contactless or freedom pass
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,016
Location
Bracknell
I see loads of paper tickets going through the platform 20-24 barriers, the line doesn't stop at Feltham....
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
I see loads of paper tickets going through the platform 20-24 barriers, the line doesn't stop at Feltham....
I know but beyond Feltham it is often quicker to get limited stop services which serve other platforms at Waterloo.

For contrast I recently did a ticketing survey at Hanwell. Over five hours we had 16 non smart tickets at the entrance I was standing at . Non smart tickets included people who didn't have any ticket

As it was based on touch ins and non touch ins
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,288
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
Waterloo is a particularly complicated location because in common with most south east stations it has peak and contra peak flows and restrictions. Some southeastern flows can be legitamately be used in both directions because of but not limited to Vauxhalls London Terminal status (and other flows at Waterloo East).
Have a think about Newcastle we have LNER ,Northern, TPE,XC,Lumo and Nexus fares with all their own restrictions
 

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,289
Location
Crawley
Have a think about Newcastle we have LNER ,Northern, TPE,XC,Lumo and Nexus fares with all their own restrictions
How new are your gates at Newcastle in comparison though? I'd very much expect recent gates to be built to handle complex situation, but I seem I recall it being said on here a lot of the older traditional gates which are at most places are very limited
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top