• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there barriers between the two bits of Smethwick Galton Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I'm planning a plus one connection there next week, and I'd like to be able to fly up the stairs and not miss my connection to Stourbridge.

Thx.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
No there aren't any automatic gatelines at Smethwick Galton Bridge, so you should be able to make a speedy connection - if you run that is! It is some distance.

Enjoy your trip! ;)
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
Depends where your connection is to/from! The worst is coming from Wolverhampton heading towards Smethwick, that's up the stairs, accross the Snow Hill platform, up more stairs, accross a bridge and finally down some stairs!
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Coming from New Street, heading towards Stourbridge.
 

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
There is a train every ten minutes from Galton Bridge to Stourbridge pretty much all day, so unless you are travelling late at night when the service slows down I wouldnt worry too much about the distance.
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
I will be travelling in the evening, and I think the gap is about 20 minutes. It's not much I know, but I don't want to be hanging about. TBH I think I'll just stroll across from New Street to Moor Street and avoid the matter altogether.
 

Smethwickian

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
742
Location
Errr, Smethwick!
I've often wondered if the nonsense perpetuated on some pages of the National Rail Timetable about there being 'high level' and 'low level' at places such as Smethwick Galton Bridge and Tamworth might lead some unfamiliar passengers or people who don't use trains much to think there's two separate stations at each. It is, of course, no different from using a footbridge to change platforms at any other station, so why these archaic references are in the NRT is baffling.

Having said that, SGB is spread over quite a height between the Stour Valley and Snow Hill lines and the booking hall/exit level. And this is a station where ticket office hours are likely to be slashed and therefore lifts may not always be available....
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
I will be travelling in the evening, and I think the gap is about 20 minutes. It's not much I know, but I don't want to be hanging about. TBH I think I'll just stroll across from New Street to Moor Street and avoid the matter altogether.

Much better idea that, as your planned interchange could take quite the while. I reckon you could do it in a minute, but you'd have to be an athlete and you may get there to find the doors locked to enable a right time departure!

The stroll from New Street to Moor Street is quite reasonable, I can do it in a little under 5 minutes and that's taking my time. Indeed, I think if I want to I can also pop into the newsagents near Moor Street first and still do it all in less than 5 minutes!

Should we be assuming there's another blog entry due in the foreseeable future? ;):)
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
Yes I'd definitely do the walk, you're unlikely to make a +1 from those platforms.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top