• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are there any apps that tell you how busy a train is on average?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Are there any apps that tell you how busy a train is on average?

I am on the 20:27 from Clapham Junction to Salisbury and Honiton (usually Exeter).

The train is packed. I am going to Guildford and will be changing at Woking as there is no longer a 20:22 to Guildford from Clapham Junction.

I could have got the 20:20 to Basingstoke but didn't even think to do so, as I didn't think this 20:27 train would be so packed.

I checked the South Western Railway Web Site and found a web page where I could look up how busy my train is into London Waterloo in the morning park. However, this isn't the morning peak and it isn't London Waterloo.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

finlaywilson2

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2023
Messages
28
Location
manchester
For some railways, Google maps will tell you how busy a train is if you click on the journey you’re travelling on at a station.
The Trainline also gives you information if you book trains through them.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
For some railways, Google maps will tell you how busy a train is if you click on the journey you’re travelling on at a station.
The Trainline also gives you information if you book trains through them.
Thanks. Does the Trainline give that information if you don't book trains through them?

I think there is a market for such information.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Thanks.

Yesterday I went onto Google Maps for Clapham Junction and at 20:08 it will only show me services up to 20:21.

For Chilworth it will show me departures up to 19:31 tomorrow [now today]. There in lies the problem. Google. They have a maximum number of services they will display irrespective of the time.

So if I wish to get an idea of how busy the 20:27 to Exeter will be I can only find this out less than 20 minutes before departure.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,661
Location
Greater Manchester
For some railways, Google maps will tell you how busy a train is if you click on the journey you’re travelling on at a station.
The Trainline also gives you information if you book trains through them.
I believe that works on user reports from commuters or any passengers, when you set up a journey on google maps with specific busses or trains on it it will ask you when your location is at the bus or train how busy it is.

So it could easily not account crowds caused by any local events, may be less accurate right as schools have gone back, or on specifically holiday based times.
 

finlaywilson2

Member
Joined
18 Sep 2023
Messages
28
Location
manchester
Thanks.

Yesterday I went onto Google Maps for Clapham Junction and at 20:08 it will only show me services up to 20:21.

For Chilworth it will show me departures up to 19:31 tomorrow [now today]. There in lies the problem. Google. They have a maximum number of services they will display irrespective of the time.

So if I wish to get an idea of how busy the 20:27 to Exeter will be I can only find this out less than 20 minutes before departure.
If you set your departure time further on, you can click on it and view further scheduled trains.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top