• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are some rail companies trying to deter cyclist passengers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airlane1979

Member
Joined
30 May 2023
Messages
7
Location
Darlington
I often travel by train with my bike. The practicalities of this vary widely, mostly according to company policies. Grand Central appear to be trying hard to stop passengers bringing a bike on board. This is from their website:
How do I reserve a space for my bicycle?
We are currently unable to reserve bicycle places on our trains through our website, however you can book up to two spaces on a first-come, first-served basis by contacting Customer Relations up to 24 hours before your journey on 0345 603 4852 (Option 5). Please ensure you arrive at least 10 minutes before your train is due to depart. Simply head to coach B and the train manager will be happy to help you get your bike on-board. You will be provided with a PDF document which you will need to print and present to the train manager.

Our trains can carry up to three bikes, with one space left for customers who have not booked.
Not really putting the customer first, it seems.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It might be but I’m not convinced that means they are “trying hard to stop passengers bringing a bike on board”.

I would probably agree with that. It's not a deliberate off-putter, it's just that they don't see a non-revenue item as worth improving because it'll make little or no difference to the bottom line.

Fortunately Trainline (and I think all the derivatives) do it better, so because they take the vast majority of bookings most people will be able to easily book a bike.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
Because it's awkward and bureaucratic.

Trainline, notably, can book bike spaces. I think for all TOCs.
It is, however is it becoming a necessity on some routes?

I know from painful experience (literally) on the Mid-Cheshire line on more than one occasion I've had to move / clamber over numerous bikes on busy services, sometimes on a single 150 I've counted almost a dozen bikes deposited all over the train as the cycle area has been full.

We're not talking train friendly, folding nicely away from other passenger ones, but mountain bikes stacked several deep, against doors and stacked in door wells etc. And it's been a combination of commuters, school kids and leisure passengers most of whom probably wouldn't even think about trying to look for a way to reserve a space.

Occasionally it's even lead to delays as bikes are shuffled around at stations as some leave and others join.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,820
I would also add that unlike many train companies they are deliberately leaving one space available for a turn up and go bike. How much easier can they make it?
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,608
Why do you think that’s a deterrent?
Because in this day and age having to phone for something like this is outdated and a faff compared to being able to quickly make a reservation on a website / app.
It might be but I’m not convinced that means they are “trying hard to stop passengers bringing a bike on board”.
They are making it more difficult than what it needs to be to reserve a space. I wonder what the reasoning is for that?

I would also add that unlike many train companies they are deliberately leaving one space available for a turn up and go bike. How much easier can they make it?
Allow you to make reservations online.
 

JRT

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
385
Location
Bradford
It's just a different way to book a cycle reservation. Many people don't like online only facilities.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

There was a time when it was £3 to take a bike, even on local trains. Thankfully that didn't last long.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It is, however is it becoming a necessity on some routes?

I'm less talking about cycle reservations (which I'm actually in favour of as it gives certainty of carriage) and more about the clumsy way of doing it. It should be possible, as it is on LNER, to reserve a bicycle online and on the app easily whether buying a ticket at the time or not. The telephone is 20th century technology. If I have to use it to do basic administrative tasks in 2026 the company has grossly failed.

Fortunately Trainline does it at the flick of a toggle switch at the time of purchase, which means most people won't have a problem. The TPE site will do the reservations for most/all TOCs but only one TOC doing it is a bit rubbish.
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,608
It's just a different way to book a cycle reservation. Many people don't like online only facilities.
Fine - then give people the choice? Lots of people, especially these days, don't like having to phone to do such things. Its from a bygone age!
 

JRT

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
385
Location
Bradford
Local trains don't require cycle reservations, long distance services do, but if you are travelling far I think you'd prefer to know you had a space.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
It's just a different way to book a cycle reservation. Many people don't like online only facilities.

The vast majority want an online option. There being a telephone option in addition is fine, but the telephone should never be the default for anything in 2026.

There was a time when it was £3 to take a bike, even on local trains. Thankfully that didn't last long.

I suspect that was removed because consideration=contract and so the railway couldn't turn people away if there was e.g. emergency engineering works. The cost of being required to find taxis/vans to take the bikes would probably exceed the tiny amount of income from them. If you've paid nowt you've got no contract per-se and they can just turn you away.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Local trains don't require cycle reservations, long distance services do, but if you are travelling far I think you'd prefer to know you had a space.

It's essential on any train if using an Advance fare.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,507
Location
Cheshire
I'm less talking about cycle reservations (which I'm actually in favour of as it gives certainty of carriage) and more about the clumsy way of doing it. It should be possible, as it is on LNER, to reserve a bicycle online and on the app easily whether buying a ticket at the time or not. The telephone is 20th century technology. If I have to use it to do basic administrative tasks in 2026 the company has grossly failed.

Fortunately Trainline does it at the flick of a toggle switch at the time of purchase, which means most people won't have a problem. The TPE site will do the reservations for most/all TOCs but only one TOC doing it is a bit rubbish.
Fair enough, it does make sense that the primary means ought to be online as this is the route most would use. Just out of curiosity, and you may not know so no worries if not, but do the sites that allow reservations on all services actually limit the number of reservations for all TOCs? So on the 13:10 Class 150 Cheshire Rattler from Piccadilly to Chester, would that only allow a couple or so of reservations?
 

JRT

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2020
Messages
385
Location
Bradford
Annoying is Transpennine trains have compulsory cycle reservations but they now operate some local routes so even on the stoppers you can’t just get on.
The old system in Northern spirit days kept the stoppers separate from the 'media distancia' trains.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Fair enough, it does make sense that the primary means ought to be online as this is the route most would use. Just out of curiosity, and you may not know so no worries if not, but do the sites that allow reservations on all services actually limit the number of reservations for all TOCs? So on the 13:10 Class 150 Cheshire Rattler from Piccadilly to Chester, would that only allow a couple or so of reservations?

Trainline will only do it where a quota has been set up for that train. It won't do it if reservations are not offered, e.g. most/all of Northern. By "all TOCs" I more meant "all TOCs where cycle reservations are offered".

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Annoying is Transpennine trains have compulsory cycle reservations but they now operate some local routes so even on the stoppers you can’t just get on.
The old system in Northern spirit days kept the stoppers separate from the 'media distancia' trains.

That's temporary during the Route Upgrade, they will go back to "Northern" EMU services after that. Though who knows what GBR's policy will be. Overall given the low number of spaces I'd rather be able to reserve, though, hardly any Northern services are frequent enough that you just wouldn't have a clue which you were going to use, probably just the Bradford area EMU services really.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,455
Location
Somerset
I often travel by train with my bike. The practicalities of this vary widely, mostly according to company policies. Grand Central appear to be trying hard to stop passengers bringing a bike on board. This is from their website:

Not really putting the customer first, it seems.
Intrigued as to how you get a pdf document if you’re reserving by phone. Sounds as if you are expected to be able to receive e-mails etc from a company that won’t let you book online - double standards?
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,608
Intrigued as to how you get a pdf document if you’re reserving by phone. Sounds as if you are expected to be able to receive e-mails etc from a company that won’t let you book online - double standards?
But then specifically saying you need to print it off!
Its like they are stuck two decades ago!
Like I am sure if you show the pdf on your phone that would be fine, so why even say about printing?
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
I believe Avanti to be anti-cyclist.

I have used them extensively with bicycle reservations. They require printing the reservation - a screenshot on the phone isn't sufficient. I've been at Euston station and had to have staff at the passenger assistance room print a PDF I've forwarded them because Avanti turned me away at the train. It's a completely pointless exercise.

Then I've been at Crewe station and asked an Avanti dispatcher where I should stand for the cycle compartment and been given a literal shoulder shrug. Then when the train arrives and the train manager/guard has literally sighed when they've seen the bicycles.

Then I've boarded with a bicycle, had a change of staff, new ticket check, informed the new ticket inspector that I've got a bicycle that I need to get out at Bangor (it's in a non-passenger accessible compartment so needs staff to open the door), and nobody came to let us get to the bicycles at Bangor. So had to wave the staff down on the platform and they begrudgingly came and opened the door.

I know loading/unloading bicycles can affect dwelling time so I have some sympathy but I really get the impression Avanti hate carrying them.

Never had any such issues with other operators, and the staff have always been lovely.
 

WillC

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2019
Messages
139
Location
Leeds
I would also add that unlike many train companies they are deliberately leaving one space available for a turn up and go bike. How much easier can they make it?
Much. Suggest you try bringing a bike on a train. Avanti also a nightmare. Booking, joining, and leaving. It's clearly a PITA for TOCs too - makes no money, causes delays and takes up space. We need a national policy directive to fix this. Much more space needed.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,820
Suggest you try bringing a bike on a train.
I have done. I'm fully aware of travelling on a train where reservation wasn't possible and they were restricted to 2 bikes in total on a 2 hourly service.
 

Western Sunset

Established Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
3,062
Location
Wimborne, Dorset
"How do I reserve a space for my bicycle?
We are currently unable to reserve bicycle places on our trains through our website, however you can book up to two spaces on a first-come, first-served basis by contacting Customer Relations up to 24 hours before your journey on 0345 603 4852 (Option 5). Please ensure you arrive at least 10 minutes before your train is due to depart. Simply head to coach B and the train manager will be happy to help you get your bike on-board. You will be provided with a PDF document which you will need to print and present to the train manager.
Our trains can carry up to three bikes, with one space left for customers who have not booked."

As quoted by the original poster, I can't get my head around this. Suppose I ring from my home landline; how am I to actually get a PDF in the first place?
 

Swedenorer

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2025
Messages
328
Location
Hants
Much. Suggest you try bringing a bike on a train. Avanti also a nightmare. Booking, joining, and leaving. It's clearly a PITA for TOCs too - makes no money, causes delays and takes up space. We need a national policy directive to fix this. Much more space needed.
One of the advantages of being very old is you get some perspective. BR started carrying bikes free only because virtually every train was hauling round empty space that used to be full of parcels, mail or papers adjacent to large double doors. I didn't stop trying to take a bike on trains after this situation changed I decided to stop completely in order not to inflict another obstacle in my fellow passengers. So I speak from both sides when I say it's about time they stopped carrying the things at all unless they are booked in advance for spaces well away from pax. Otherwise they can be an unmitigated nuisance.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
As quoted by the original poster, I can't get my head around this. Suppose I ring from my home landline; how am I to actually get a PDF in the first place?

The vast majority of people will be able to receive one by e-mail.

I'm sure they would do something different e.g. post it to you if you don't. But that's a tiny minority now.
 

styles

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2014
Messages
4,941
Location
Gwynedd
The vast majority of people will be able to receive one by e-mail.

I'm sure they would do something different e.g. post it to you if you don't. But that's a tiny minority now.
Part of me wants to try this, but I don't want to cause unnecessary problems for first line support call handlers.
 

Tetragon213

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2024
Messages
699
Location
West Midlands
They're not trying that hard, since they allow it.

Lumo have a blanket ban on non-folding bicycles.
An approach I wholeheartedly understand, especially with these new bikes that are practically the same size as my old moped. They take up crazy amounts of space.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
An approach I wholeheartedly understand, especially with these new bikes that are practically the same size as my old moped. They take up crazy amounts of space.

It's nothing to do with any prejudices surrounding e-bikes (which still aren't even anything like the majority of bicycles in use). It's purely because they specced their trains with so little luggage space that even though they have a swingeing restriction on bag size they still needed to repurpose the bike cupboard for bags.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,422
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I often travel by train with my bike. The practicalities of this vary widely, mostly according to company policies. Grand Central appear to be trying hard to stop passengers bringing a bike on board. This is from their website:

Not really putting the customer first, it seems.

I don’t think TOCs necessarily want to actively deter cycles, after all it is potentially extra revenue if it means a journey happens that wouldn’t have otherwise done so.

However there is a widespread lack of understanding of what cyclists actually need, and this runs to society as a whole - look at some of the abominations which appear as cycle lanes on roads as an example of that. So what you see on the railway is just an extension of a wider malaise. It’s existed all my lifetime, and unfortunately I don’t expect it to change, people are too set in their ways, or in a lot of cases ignorance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top