Say I wanted to do Glasgow Central - Penzance, standard class on both the Caledonian and Night Rivera sleepers. Would I be allowed to use a regular ticket I pick up at a ticket office (eg. a single to Penzance) on the sleepers?
I don't think there can be any justification for saying it is 'not valid' but I can understand that they can refuse travel if it's full.On the ScotRail sleepers reservations are compulsory in the seated area. Wether there is space or not if you do not hold a seat reservation then your ticket is not valid.
Revenue allocation does not, and can not, determine validity.The reasoning behind this is that ScotRail do not get any revenue from an unreserved SVR from Edinburgh to London e.g. but do so if a reservation is made onto the sleeper with such a ticket.
Revenue allocation does not, and can not, determine validity.
When I worked on the sleepers (INTERCITY 1990s) the cutoff was typically 20:00The problem I feel is with the reservation system in that it shuts down to early esp for sleeper travel
With the exception of the seated Fort William to Edinburgh section which is reservation recommended all travel on the Scotrail sleepers seated or otherwise is reservation compulsory. Therefore if you do not have a seat reservation there is a very great possibility that you will not be allowed to board.
It is not your ticket validity per se that stops you boarding but your lack of a reservation. As seats are limited this is primarily to stop overcrowding. Revenue allocation is important in this instance however as Scotrail get next to no revenue from cross border tickets. The sleeper trains are very expensive to operate and at present the only way to recover the correct revenue is to ensure that all seated passengers have valid reservations. Prospective passengers without reservations can however purchase "Scotrail only" tickets from the train manager at trainside prior to departure if space is available.
The problem I feel is with the reservation system in that it shuts down to early esp for sleeper travel. If a train is reservation compulsory then it should it theory be able to book a seat up to 5 minutes before it leaves your station (note not the origin of the service). With modern technology this could even be done on your mobile phone via text messaging - a confirmation can even be sent to the train manager to inform him that another passenger is joining en-route.