• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are railway safety shoes good for hiking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,902
Hah. Railway provided footwear is generally cheap rubbish.

If you're going on a serious hike buy some decent quality footwear.
 

dangie

On Moderation
Joined
4 May 2011
Messages
2,353
Location
Rugeley Staffordshire
My first walk up Snowdon many many years ago was in my power station issue steel toe-cap safety boots. Let me just say I never used them again for hiking. Work boots are made for work. Walking/hiking boots are made for walking/hiking. They may look similar, but that‘s where the similarities end.
 

SargeNpton

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2018
Messages
1,750
Reinforced toecaps and long-distance walking do not go together well. As with Dangie, I speak from experience.
 

Ivor

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2019
Messages
550
Location
Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
I totally agree with above replies, I bought couple of pairs of ‘good’ safety boots & wore over five years for customer service railway work & although I was never in pain I was glad to take them off when the shift ended.

I wouldn’t have wanted to use on a hike.
 

ASharpe

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,024
Location
West Yorkshire
You won't enjoy the hike if you wear them.

Provided they fit and you've gradually broken them in even a cheap pair will be fine unless you are doing hundreds of miles a month.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top