• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are FGW still hiring in an SWT 158?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2010
Messages
2,283
Location
Devon
Hi, quick question, are FGW still hiring in an SWT 158, and is it still on the same diagram it was on in the last timetable?

Looked in the 'Frequently Requested Diagrams', but it isn't listed in there.

Cheers in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VisualAcid

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2013
Messages
142
Can't tell if it's a 158 or 159, but definitely a SWT unit running services through Oldfield Park atm.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
According to a post on wnxx, it is currently still with FGW on the Golden Valley.
 

MikeHoward

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2014
Messages
13
Location
Bristol
Hi All

I do my spotting from Bristol Parkway and I have seen an SWT 158 on the following diagram:

2M98 12:27 Southampton to Great Malvern (Bristol Parkway 14:52) 16:29
2F98 16:50 Great Malvern to Westbury (Bristol Parkway 18:25) 19:36

I presume that after it terminates at Westbury it then goes back to Salisbury for servicing.

Cheers

Mike
 

Aictos

Established Member
Joined
28 Apr 2009
Messages
10,403
Any idea how much longer the hire in period is for?
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
Any idea how much longer the hire in period is for?

The 'Golden Valley' hire in is semi-permanent. I think it stopped for part of last year, but was re-introduced at some stage. There was also one timetable when the daily hire in was used on the afternoon Brighton service.

The current debate seems to be about whether or not there is a second hire-in planned - the DfT implied as much in their approval letter for the extra Paignton and Melksham services, but there's no sign of a second unit yet.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,894
Location
South Wales
Acoording to a poster working for FGW on this forum FGW could be looking at using a 165/166 on the Swindon - Cheltenham service so perhaps this could be to replace the SWT 158 allowing that to go elsewhere
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
Hi All

I do my spotting from Bristol Parkway and I have seen an SWT 158 on the following diagram:

2M98 12:27 Southampton to Great Malvern (Bristol Parkway 14:52) 16:29
2F98 16:50 Great Malvern to Westbury (Bristol Parkway 18:25) 19:36

I presume that after it terminates at Westbury it then goes back to Salisbury for servicing.

Cheers

Mike
This used to be it's Saturday Diagram. Sure it is on Golden Valley and has been for approx 5 years now apart from a short break. Has also worked the afternoon Brighton Diagram in it's time as already stated.
There is a thread updating the positon with the additional hire on the Traction Board under title "SWT 159 in unusual places"
 
Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
I did mention this in the other thread but I was last on it a couple of weeks ago as it was running to Great Malvern - However I've also caught it from Swindon a few weeks before that when it was working a Cheltenham Spa via Melksham to Southampton Central service. I haven't seen it for a few weeks now though.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
When you saw it on a Great Malvern, was it a Saturday when it works a different diagram. By the way, which Great Malvern service was it ?
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Seen on Saturday mornings at Trowbridge on the 2E16 06:38 Westbury - Gloucester, attached to the rear of a 150 and detached at Bristol for the 158 to work to Gloucester, which looking in OTT means it goes to Weymouth after.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
When you saw it on a Great Malvern, was it a Saturday when it works a different diagram. By the way, which Great Malvern service was it ?

From the top of my head, I can't remember - It may have very well been a Saturday as it was quite busy and Avoncliff and Freshford tend to get busier on the weekends it seems. I think it was early afternoon?!

I have seen it stopped at Avoncliff towards Westbury on an evening before as well, I should start taking note!
 
Last edited:

jv3531

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2008
Messages
213
Location
Gloucestershire
Still on hire, definitely on the Saturday diagram as its 1441 ex Temple Meads. Still in use on Swindon Line, service was diagram that works 1814 ex Swindon. Unit still causes confusion as people try and get on or off at leading door, all fgw 158s open however the leading door on the SWT sets don't, unless the driver keys out first :D occasionally causes ructions if guard is a bit keen and customers don't realise quickly enough....:lol:
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
So if I've followed it right, the diagram on Saturday should be:

- ECS Shunt Salisbury T&R.S.M.D - Salisbury (attach to 2V16)
- 2V16 0603 Salisbury - Westbury
- 2E16 0639 Westbury - Gloucester (detach from Cl 150 at Bristol TM)
- 2O86 0842 Gloucester - Weymouth
- 2E24 1310 Weymouth - Gloucester

Arriving at Platform 2 at Gloucester, it seems to suggest it works the 2O97 1641 Gloucester - Weymouth but that stay's in Weymouth all night. I don't know what happens to the 158 after, but looking at 2E24, which arrives at Avoncliff around 1500, that ties in Parallel's sighting of the 158 in the early afternoon.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I don't think it continues past Bristol Temple Meads on 2E16, I think it is detached there and then works:
2C08 0749 Bristol Temple Meads-Westbury
2F91 1010 Westbury-Warminster
2C12 1025 Warminster-Westbury
2O05 1111 Westbury-Southampton Central
2M98 1227 Southampton Central-Great Malvern
2F98 1650 Great Malvern-Westbury
2C32 2038 Westbury-Bristol Temple Meads
Then it either attaches to the SWT service back to Salisbury there or works:
2C34 2200 Bristol Temple Meads-Westbury
And attaches to the SWT service at Westbury.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I can only assume it goes to Gloucester only through my personal sightings, in a way..

I've only done it once this year from Trowbridge, 150104 was on the front with SWT 158890 on the rear. Once at Bristol it was advertised that the rear two coaches are for Gloucester, in this case 158890. (Booked to detach at Bristol anyway)

Last time I did it on a Saturday it was a 150/2 again with the SWT 158 on the rear. Both times I had to dash over for the 0730 Edinburgh XC service, so didn't see it afterwards, but being at the rear, and being advertised as the part continuing to Gloucester* I can only assume it's the 158.


* = Though this may have been a one off, otherwise the 158 might do a shunt so that the 150 can continue on 2E16?
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
I'd imagine it's fairly likely that the 158 shunts off at Bristol first. 2E16 arrives at 0727, and departs of 0741, plenty of time to do a shunt. The 0749 Westbury is booked off Platform 9 and the 0741 Gloucester off Platform 7.
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Sounds more plausible that.

On the subject, does anyone remember when the hire in started? Can't remember how far back they hired it in, if it was for weekdays or weekends, and what it started on (2E16 more likely)?

I remember seeing it once attached to the rear of the first FGW out of Salisbury, and detached at Westbury then ECS to Warminster, that was a weekday IIRC.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
I reckon it is just over 4 years, it is in the Salisbury carriage working notices (CWNs) for Dec 09, but not the previous version for May 09.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top