• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are DRS 88's and 68's normally double headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
3 Dec 2022
Messages
63
Location
Edinburgh
Today's 4Z27 0546 Mossend Down Yard to Daventry Int Rft Recep Fl was double headed by 88002 "Prometheus" and 68016 "Fearless". Is it normal to combine a 68 with an 88? I notice the working went via the ECML so I am assuming there may be an unwired section somewhere along the line. The 68 was definitely giving power when it left Stechford and the images show the 88 had the pantograph up.

I apologise if this is normal, just something I have never seen before.

Small images attached - full size at link below for those who are interested.

 

Attachments

  • RF 2023.02.18 - 4Z27 0546 Mossend Down Yard to Daventry Int Rft Recep Fl - 1.jpg
    RF 2023.02.18 - 4Z27 0546 Mossend Down Yard to Daventry Int Rft Recep Fl - 1.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 128
  • RF - 2023.02.18 - 4Z27 0546 Mossend Down Yard to Daventry Int Rft Recep Fl - 2.jpg
    RF - 2023.02.18 - 4Z27 0546 Mossend Down Yard to Daventry Int Rft Recep Fl - 2.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 126
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,894
It was off the wires from Doncaster to Walsall, so yes rather a large gap!
 

themiller

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2011
Messages
1,382
Location
Cumbria, UK
Yes, there would be an unwired section going via ECML. The 68 would be needed to keep the speed up on that section. The 88 could move the train but at severely reduced speed thus eating up paths. The 68 may have been assisting the 88 so that the engine was at operating temperature when required.
 
Joined
3 Dec 2022
Messages
63
Location
Edinburgh
Thank you Bald Rick! I am not too au fait with where the wires end these days. It was just weird to see an 88 crawl round the curve from Aston but hearing a diesel!!
 

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
I think 68 + 88 is common when DRS intermodals are routed via the ECML. At other times it has occurred but isn't common.
 
Joined
3 Dec 2022
Messages
63
Location
Edinburgh
Yes, there would be an unwired section going via ECML. The 68 would be needed to keep the speed up on that section. The 88 could move the train but at severely reduced speed thus eating up paths. The 68 may have been assisting the 88 so that the engine was at operating temperature when required.
Thank you. All adds to my knowledge of these things!
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,341
If a Class 88 is unavailable, a pair of 66s or 68s is used when the Tesco trains (Daventry / Mossend) go via Shap & Beattock on their normal route via the West Coast Main Line.
 

172007

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
1,164
Location
West Mids
As I believe 88 has to lead under the wires as for some reason the 68's were never provided with a pantograph down button otherwise they are multiple working capable.
 
Joined
3 Dec 2022
Messages
63
Location
Edinburgh
As I believe 88 has to lead under the wires as for some reason the 68's were never provided with a pantograph down button otherwise they are multiple working capable.
The 88 was pantograph up and the 68 was providing power as the first image shows - and it certainly sounded that way. I assumed if the 88 was in diesel mode then the pantograph would be down. Maybe my assumption is wayward!
 

themiller

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2011
Messages
1,382
Location
Cumbria, UK
If I remember correctly, when a 68 and a 88 are working a train, any combination is possible including the 88 drawing power from the overhead at the same time as using its diesel engine. The 88 can also use this arrangement when coupled to a 68 which is also powering. As an aside, the 93s will also able to use all sources in boost mode if I read the description correctly.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,194
Really? I’m surprised that an 88 would be set up to dual-feed the traction equipment.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Really? I’m surprised that an 88 would be set up to dual-feed the traction equipment.
I don't think dual feed would be a possibility. You'd need to match input frequency to motors exactly from both sources. What would the point be as diesel engine brings little to the party on this one?
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
I don't think dual feed would be a possibility. You'd need to match input frequency to motors exactly from both sources.
Not if you feed into the DC link?
What would the point be as diesel engine brings little to the party on this one?
But for the 93s that will have batteries and diesel engines, they will have to feed both into the traction supply at the same time.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,194
I don't think dual feed would be a possibility. You'd need to match input frequency to motors exactly from both sources. What would the point be as diesel engine brings little to the party on this one?
This was going to be my follow-up question. Surely no point having that facility on an 88 where the dual-power architecture is more akin to a 769.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Not if you feed into the DC link?

But for the 93s that will have batteries and diesel engines, they will have to feed both into the traction supply at the same time.
That's easy to do as input both as DC supplies and then use inverters. True could be done for an 88 as didn't think there, both probably rectified to DC first!
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,110
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I saw a similar combination passing through York yesterday evening (Sunday 19th) at the head of 4Z48, 11 59 Mossend-Daventry....but, unfortunately, I was just leaving the York Tap and didn't manage to see the loco numbers, let alone take a photo or video. :frown:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top