• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are drivers/guards expected to know the units in their consist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasLunatic

Member
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
696
I took myself for a spot of trainspotting this morning, and I couldn't see the unit numbers from my position. I asked the guard what units were on the service, and he said he "didn't know". Aren't drivers and staff onboard the train meant to know this - for example, what if there is a fault on a rearwards unit and the driver doesn't know the unit number?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2006
Messages
3,592
Location
South West
There's no requirement to know what units are in your consist, no. If there is a fault then you walk back and look.
 

Monty

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2012
Messages
2,370
There's no requirement to know what units are in your consist, no. If there is a fault then you walk back and look.

As Mintona said there is no actual requirement to know, though I personally do make a habit of noting down what units I have when train working.
 

Johncleesefan

Member
Joined
4 Sep 2013
Messages
729
Echoing the above although you do need to know traction types in the formation to know if gangwayed and slowest speed in formation and any route clearance issues
 

Bromley boy

Established Member
Joined
18 Jun 2015
Messages
4,609
I took myself for a spot of trainspotting this morning, and I couldn't see the unit numbers from my position. I asked the guard what units were on the service, and he said he "didn't know". Aren't drivers and staff onboard the train meant to know this - for example, what if there is a fault on a rearwards unit and the driver doesn't know the unit number?

By "unit" I assume you mean number rather than class of unit?

No reason why they would know the unit and vehicle numbers off the top of their heads, worrying if they didn't know the class of the units they were working.

I would usually only note specific unit and vehicle numbers if I needed to report a fault, but I would always know the class of unit I was working.
 
Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
Joined
10 Oct 2015
Messages
1,323
Location
Penzance
Consist? Please, this is Great Britain. It's the train formation on this side of the pond.
 

GB

Established Member
Joined
16 Nov 2008
Messages
6,560
Location
Somewhere
Consist? Please, this is Great Britain. It's the train formation on this side of the pond.

Consist is a perfectly adequate term which is used officially in various places on UK railways.
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
Personally I always note down the numbers of the units I'm working. Useful to have them to hand if you need to report any faults or write any reports.
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,407
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
I took myself for a spot of trainspotting this morning, and I couldn't see the unit numbers from my position. I asked the guard what units were on the service, and he said he "didn't know". Aren't drivers and staff onboard the train meant to know this - for example, what if there is a fault on a rearwards unit and the driver doesn't know the unit number?

The only time a driver would really pay much notice of the unit number is if he happens to notice a particular number and remember that number as having given him trouble in the past. Otherwise only really used for reporting purposes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top