• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Architecture The Railways Built - Series 4 for 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost property

On Moderation
Joined
2 Jun 2016
Messages
739
Hull station has always been impressive but, as always, it was the other aspect about the now disused station that enhanced the programme.

Slight digression here please. Bridges.

The Goole bridge was fascinating (understatement !) but last nights "Canal Diaries " produced another....a sliding railway bridge !

It's interesting to see how many rail aspects, no real surprise for obvious reasons, feature in the above also excellent programme.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ricoblade

Member
Joined
28 Sep 2015
Messages
549
Hull station has always been impressive but, as always, it was the other aspect about the now disused station that enhanced the programme.

Slight digression here please. Bridges.

The Goole bridge was fascinating (understatement !) but last nights "Canal Diaries " produced another....a sliding railway bridge !

It's interesting to see how many rail aspects, no real surprise for obvious reasons, feature in the above also excellent programme.
Agreed, I saw that last night and immediately thought of TATRB!
 

geoffk

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
3,932
Location
Exeter
Hull station has always been impressive but, as always, it was the other aspect about the now disused station that enhanced the programme.

Slight digression here please. Bridges.

The Goole bridge was fascinating (understatement !) but last nights "Canal Diaries " produced another....a sliding railway bridge !

It's interesting to see how many rail aspects, no real surprise for obvious reasons, feature in the above also excellent programme.
I watched both of these and was sorry to see that it was the last of Tim Dunn's current series. I was vaguely aware of the role Hull played in taking European migrants to the USA but didn't realise it went on for so long. I'd not been to Leamington station since the 1990s and it was great to see what has been done there - a reminder that the art deco style was not only found on the Underground and the Southern Railway. Robbie Cumming shows us the canal life, warts and all, and is very frank about his experience.
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
I have to admit to not really paying much attention to Hull station last time I was there, something I will have to rectify next time I return. Which is likely to be after I visit Leamington Spa :D
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,410
Location
Yorks
This series has been an absolute treat.

I'd never have known that one of my occasional drinking holes in Leeds was a cradle of the locomotive industry !

I particularly enjoyed the close look at Hull Paragon, one of my favourite stations. I'd heard about the special platforms for transiting passengers previously but hadn't realised where they were situated.
 

timmydunn

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2019
Messages
80
Location
London
Thanks all. It's nice to get positive feedback like the above: I do make sure the team sees it, because I'm just the one at the front who can't quite believe his luck. All 40 episodes are on UKTV Play app and website to stream for free. https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online [warning: clicking that link launches a page with my face on it very large].

There are 10 more Secrets of the London Underground ready to be aired too, so that's 80 hours of telly about railways that we're proud to have made so far. I might even do some of the day job instead soon ;)
 

Mikey C

Established Member
Joined
11 Feb 2013
Messages
8,276
Thanks all. It's nice to get positive feedback like the above: I do make sure the team sees it, because I'm just the one at the front who can't quite believe his luck. All 40 episodes are on UKTV Play app and website to stream for free. https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online [warning: clicking that link launches a page with my face on it very large].

There are 10 more Secrets of the London Underground ready to be aired too, so that's 80 hours of telly about railways that we're proud to have made so far. I might even do some of the day job instead soon ;)
You and the team do a great job. S4 of Architecture was just as interesting as the previous 3, it never felt for a moment that you were scraping the barrel, having done all the "headline" stations and structures already in the previous 3 series.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
Fully agree, and I'd like to see more of both series as well. There's still masses of interesting stuff out there which you could show us. :)
 

SLC001

Member
Joined
13 Jan 2022
Messages
174
Location
Northampton
I write to simply agree about the series. A nice mix of old and new and I like the way it takes bite size chunks rather than try to describe the whole building or structure.
Anyone who likes New Street signal box though has a loose connection somewhere!
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Thanks all. It's nice to get positive feedback like the above: I do make sure the team sees it, because I'm just the one at the front who can't quite believe his luck. All 40 episodes are on UKTV Play app and website to stream for free. https://uktvplay.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/watch-online [warning: clicking that link launches a page with my face on it very large].

There are 10 more Secrets of the London Underground ready to be aired too, so that's 80 hours of telly about railways that we're proud to have made so far. I might even do some of the day job instead soon ;)
Really enjoyed everything you have done Tim.

So much rubbish on the box these days but your programmes are a winner. One of the great things is they remain don't go off at a tangent to investigate non railway related themes which so many other supposedly railway orientated programmes do!

Keep up the good work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top