TorqueOfTheDevil
Member
- Joined
- 27 Feb 2007
- Messages
- 276
A flatulent railway? Don't let their downwards spiraling standards wind you up!
Very good Dave!
Indeed, it was not a failure. The only failure was of the political establishment who could not countenance something positive coming from the Public Sector. Imagine what a few more years of additional funding could have been worth to UK plc. I always sigh when I pass Crewe station and the APT museum piece.
'twas ever thus. One only has to look at defence planning and spending. Remember the Nimrod AEW3 saga which was being played out at the same time as the APT? The only thing worse than that would be to spend billions of pounds on another Nimrod project two decades later, only for it to have significant teething troubles (again) and end up being cancelled with all money written off (again). But that could never happen, could it?:cry::cry::cry:
Although I don't personally believe it (cancelling APT) was done in the interests of shafting a promising public sector development. I think they just lost their nerve in the face of public complaints about the delays and rising costs.