• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying to two trainee driver vacancies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoundFelt

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2019
Messages
6
Hey all. I was wondering whether applying for two trainee driver positions by different TOCs at different locations at around the same time is worth doing and increase chances of success, or actually just end up making things more complicated? I'm at a point where relocating to wherever needed for work is a viable option, and it just so happened that two positions were open at the same point in time when I was looking to apply. As I haven't ever been to an assessment day before, say I got through the application stage with both TOCs, would I need to do the day of assessments twice for both companies, or would once be enough if I pass and then just update the other TOC who I haven't done the assessments with yet that I have now passed them, though am unsure would the second TOC then be unhappy knowing I have applied somewhere else too? I also realise that the 6 month gap is needed if failing any part applies to all TOC's, so if one application fails and the other gets through, or I fail the assessment day after getting through the application stage with both - what would be the procedure then? Thanks everyone. :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
You can apply to any number of TOC/FOCs at once and naturally it’ll increase your chances at getting to the psychometric assessments. However, once at that stage you can only sit said assessments one TOC/FOC at a time and there has to be 6-months between failed attempts (of which you only get two shots at).

If you were lucky enough to get assessments for more than one company at the same time, you will only be able to take the assessments for one of them, but if you pass, you won’t need to retake them for between 1 and 5 years (depending on the company as they vary) and can use said passes for any operator. So if you take the tests with TOC A, and then TOC B (who you applied to at the same time) invites you to the assessments, you won’t need to retake them as long as you passed them with TOC A. If you take them with TOC A and have an assessment booked with TOC B whilst your results are pending, you won’t be able to sit them again during this time (6-month rules would still apply as you may fail with TOC A which would void any pass you may have with TOC B).

If you fail, you’re out of the game for 6-months. I hope I have t confused matters, apologies if I have!
 
Last edited:

SoundFelt

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2019
Messages
6
Thank you for your reply Stigy! That all makes sense. :) Great to know that it's still ok even though I've applied to two. On one of the applications for TOC A I was asked if I had taken the psychometrics before of which I ticked 'no'. If I heard back from TOC B first and went on to pass the assessments with them, and then TOC A then invited me to an assessment day, in your opinion you don't think they would have a problem with me telling them that I have now passed the assessments - resulting in being put straight through to the DMI?
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Thank you for your reply Stigy! That all makes sense. :) Great to know that it's still ok even though I've applied to two. On one of the applications for TOC A I was asked if I had taken the psychometrics before of which I ticked 'no'. If I heard back from TOC B first and went on to pass the assessments with them, and then TOC A then invited me to an assessment day, in your opinion you don't think they would have a problem with me telling them that I have now passed the assessments - resulting in being put straight through to the DMI?
No, I think it would work in your favour. I would personally make sure I updated TOC A so as to update your file as it were. There’s differing views here, but the way I see it, you’re more favourable if you have the passes already. It’s just one less thing the TOC has to put you through. They may be indifferent about it, but I know if I was recruiting, I’d prefer everyone to have already passed the psychometrics.
 

SoundFelt

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2019
Messages
6
Yes that's true, I can see why it would be preferable - the same reason why they deal with the people who have already passed the assessments first I guess. Will keep in mind to update each TOC as progress happens. Thanks Stigy.
 

387star

On Moderation
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
6,665
With GTR I was never sifted... I hadn't heard back either way. I'd passed all assessments to enhanced level with the dfft passed with greater anglia
Fired off an email and got an interview days later having submitted my application a few months previously

They were desperate for drivers at that point

There were at least six courses with 8 trainees on each at three bridges over two years which is a lot
 

OneLowban

Member
Joined
30 Oct 2017
Messages
693
You can apply to any number of TOC/FOCs at once and naturally it’ll increase your chances at getting to the psychometric assessments. However, once at that stage you can only sit said assessments one TOC/FOC at a time and there has to be 6-months between failed attempts (of which you only get two shots at).

If you were lucky enough to get assessments for more than one company at the same time, you will only be able to take the assessments for one of them, but if you pass, you won’t need to retake them for between 1 and 5 years (depending on the company as they vary) and can use said passes for any operator. So if you take the tests with TOC A, and then TOC B (who you applied to at the same time) invites you to the assessments, you won’t need to retake them as long as you passed them with TOC A. If you take them with TOC A and have an assessment booked with TOC B whilst your results are pending, you won’t be able to sit them again during this time (6-month rules would still apply as you may fail with TOC A which would void any pass you may have with TOC B).

If you fail, you’re out of the game for 6-months. I hope I have t confused matters, apologies if I have!
Pretty much this.

Also I seem to remember last year someone made a thread saying that they applied for two TOCs and the OPC emailed them asking to choose which one they would like to carry on with. Just something to keep in mind.
 

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2019
Messages
1,517
Because applications for trainee driver vacancies are so high, I believe most TOCs will only let you apply for one at once and if you do dip any part of the assessment you have to wait a while before applying again in the future. To be fair, it does make sense and tries to whittle down applications but like I said be prepared for some fearsome competition - we are talking over a hundred applications for these jobs. That said, I cannot see why you cannot apply to another TOC at the same time, but like another member has stated you need to be honest with any developments in your application. Most HRs will understand the need to keep applying elsewhere but they also want you to show them some commitment as a potential candidate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top