• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for Trainee Train Driver(due to start as a conductor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids86

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
29
Location
Crewe
Hi,

Just curious if anyone been involved in a similar situation. I've applied for a trainee train driver over a year ago, went and passed all the assessments just to be unsuccessful with one question on my MMI. In the meantime I've applied and been accepted for a Trainee Senior Conductor role and due to start next month. The company I'm about to start my training for just advertised again for trainee train drivers and my question is would they even consider my application to go for a trainee train driver role at this point? Would be even smart to try and talk to the company about it anyhow? Or should I just carry on with my conductor role and then hope to transfer internally in the future? Do you think I would be allowed to start my training as a conductor and go through the application process for a trainee train driver at the same time? Would they allow it? Has anyone been in a similar situation and could shed some light on it? Any advice would be much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crisky

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2025
Messages
56
Location
Prestatyn
I was told at interview that I would have to be in the job for two years before I could change to another position. That was with tfw, so I’m not sure about other tocs.
 

davids86

Member
Joined
6 Sep 2024
Messages
29
Location
Crewe
They say in the job offer that applications from internal candidates would be considered after 6 months probationary period, so hopefully a bit different then TfW. But I'm also thinking would trying to apply now straight for trainee train driver would possibly do me any favours or do me any harm to my position as a conductor... Technically I'm not employed by then until next month so I'm thinking to still try and send the application and see what response will I get. If they will decline me then fair enough but at least I won't thinking what if...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top