• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Appeal for using expired railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

User9876

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
MK
Hi, I turned 18 a week ago and I booked a train using my 16-17 railcard before I had turned 18. I got stopped in Birmingham New Street today. Is it worth appealing and explaining the situation? Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,291
@User9876. Welcome to the forum. Doubt your appeal would be successful, on the grounds you have explained, as a 16-17 Saver railcard is normally only ever valid until your 18th birthday, which you've now passed. BTW, did you get issued with a Penalty Fare?
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,135
Location
Wilmslow
If your railcard had expired, no.
If it had not,
  • The 16-17 Saver is valid for one year or until your 18th birthday, whichever comes first and is not available to purchase at stations
so, no, it’s not valid when you’re 18.

Railcards need to be valid when used, not at the time of purchase.

See https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/help/16-17-saver-terms-conditions/
2.8 You must carry your valid 16-17 Saver with you on your journey. When asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid 16-17 Saver within its period of validity when you travel (either “Season ticket valid until” or “Valid until” date).

2.8.1 If you have a physical 16-17 Saver, it must be signed by you and should be legible, so rail staff can read it, as further detailed in the NRCoT.

2.8.2 If you have a digital 16-17 Saver, you must be able to show it on a mobile device throughout your journey.
 
Last edited:

User9876

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
MK
@User9876. Welcome to the forum. Doubt your appeal would be successful, on the grounds you have explained, as a 16-17 Saver railcard is normally only ever valid until your 18th birthday, which you've now passed. BTW, did you get issued with a Penalty Fare?
Hi, thank you. Yes, I was issued with a penalty fare.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

If your railcard had expired, no.
If it had not,

so, no, it’s not valid when you’re 18.

Railcards need to be valid when used, not at the time of purchase.

See https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/help/16-17-saver-terms-conditions/
Thank you. So it’s unlikely that this will be penalty will be reduced I’m assuming.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,135
Location
Wilmslow
Hi, thank you. Yes, I was issued with a penalty fare.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Thank you. So it’s unlikely that this will be penalty will be reduced I’m assuming.
I think you’d be advised to pay at the reduced rate (£50 + fare).
I can buy a ticket with a 16-17 railcard, but because I’m 63 I can’t use the ticket myself.
 

User9876

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
3
Location
MK
I think you’d be advised to pay at the reduced rate (£50 + fare).
I can buy a ticket with a 16-17 railcard, but because I’m 63 I can’t use the ticket myself.
Thank you, yes I’ll be paying the reduced rate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top