zwk500
Veteran Member
So up until now they've had no right to remove a pass they issue to any under-18 for any reason?If they didn't publish the list they couldn't apply the perfectly reasonable, sensible sanction.
So up until now they've had no right to remove a pass they issue to any under-18 for any reason?If they didn't publish the list they couldn't apply the perfectly reasonable, sensible sanction.
Nothing on this list applies specifically to children, nor is it reasonable to single them out for these behaviours.
Often it's the children with no parents (or no relationship with their parents) who end up keeping company that behaves like this. It's not just parents failing the children.
They could do this beforehand, it didn't need a separate list.
Why should these standards of behaviour be set out to children alone?How dare organisations set out minimum standards of behaviour from children using their services indeed!!
If feral (or overly privileged) parents don't set boundaries for their offspring then what right does a service provider have!
Of course now they have published the list of unacceptable behaviours, it means that they can remove a privilege if the rules are broken. Whether the individuals read the rules or not.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
"Our Young Person's Behaviour Code exists to ensure you travel safely and show respect for others.
You must follow it or you risk losing your concession or your Zip Oyster photocard."
No zip, no concession, no available sanction = no rules applicable to the child (beyond the ones that apply to us all).
Actually, if you read the rules it's clear that they apply to everyone through bylaws.Why should these standards of behaviour be set out to children alone?
We already have one. It's called the law, where many 'offences' apply to football supporters that don't apply to any other demographic anywhere, at any time. I can go watch any other sport/event, in the same grounds in many cases, and not be subject to laws that only apply around football, including travelling to and from those fixtures/events on trains and coaches.Shall we have a code of conduct purely for football fans?
What is a "generational shift" and why doesn't it mean that younger people should give up their seat to older ones? I stopped being an under-18 in 1958 and nowadays I'm grateful if someone does offer me their seat, though if my journey is a short one I may thank them and decline the offer, especially when the person making the offer is a good deal older than 18.I think the point is more that TfL can withdraw the Zip Oyster in line with a breach of the rules. Not that the rules themselves are going to stop anti-social behaviour, but if they catch someone doing x, y or z they can confiscate vs published ts&cs.
They need to move on from kids giving up seats for adults though. There’s been a generational shift and that just doesn’t happen anymore.
The way you are referring to children does make you seem rather stern, intolerant and somewhat resentful - a bit of an "in my day" type. This paragraph itself speaks volumes of the attitude of some "old world" middle-aged people. I mean, the way you've referred to me taking issue with this as having "a tantrum" in itself is very condescending.Children need boundaries. They can be incredibly spoilt and entitled sometimes, and it's good to remind them that there are expectations behind entitlements.
I appreciate this has caused some to have a tantrum, but it's actually a reasonable and positive charter.
"In my day" when I was a child, I could at times be spoilt, entitled, and throw tantrums in common with and just as well as any of my peers.The way you are referring to children does make you seem rather stern, intolerant and somewhat resentful - a bit of an "in my day" type. This paragraph itself speaks volumes of the attitude of some "old world" middle-aged people. I mean, the way you've referred to me taking issue with this as having "a tantrum" in itself is very condescending.
I haven't made any assumptions about you - rather, I've been very careful not to do just that as this whole thread comes from my dislike of stereotypes and assumptions - I have simply told you how I feel it comes across when you refer to the majority of "children today" as entitled and then consider young people's objection to being automatically categorised as troublemakers as "tantrums.""In my day" when I was a child, I could at times be spoilt, entitled, and throw tantrums in common with and just as well as any of my peers.
I would have had my zip pass taken away from me and burned.
One can only speak from experience when one has it and realises they have it.
Your assumptions about me and my motivations are condescending. I accept you're not happy about the rules. But you don't seem to accept that I think they're A-OK. So who is the intolerant one!!
I made no mention of "children today", only "children". I also didn't even say "majority"'. I would say many. Quote what people say, don't make things up to suit your viewpoint. Now that would be living up to a modern stereotype, wouldn't it.I haven't made any assumptions about you - rather, I've been very careful not to do just that as this whole thread comes from my dislike of stereotypes and assumptions - I have simply told you how I feel it comes across when you refer to the majority of "children today" as entitled and then consider young people's objection to being automatically categorised as troublemakers as "tantrums."
Those annoying little snots wouldn't take any notice anyway.I must be the only one who doesn't see the problem. It's just guidelines and keep in mind the vast majority of under 18s will follow it, it's more aimed at the annoying snots who cause trouble. Free travel is a perk not a right.
The page has been there ever since the cards were introducedSo up until now they've had no right to remove a pass they issue to any under-18 for any reason?
I've been on journeys with all 3, and football fans and hen parties make screaming babies feel like country vicars in comparison. Notably it's the middle aged football fans who are by far the worst. Groups of teenage football fans are generally as well behaved as anybody else on the train.Honestly I don't see the problem with this document. And these rules need to be enforced.
As a season-ticketed commuter, my heart sinks when I see children get on the train. Saturdays are unbearable largely because of families and children: screaming babies, loud beepy electronic devices, luggage in the gangways.
(Of course the football fans and hen parties don't help either.)
Some schools send out staff as marshals to travel on public transport to "keep the peace" when their pupils are traveling at peak times.Honestly I don't see the problem with this document. And these rules need to be enforced.
As a season-ticketed commuter, my heart sinks when I see children get on the train. Saturdays are unbearable largely because of families and children: screaming babies, loud beepy electronic devices, luggage in the gangways.
(Of course the football fans and hen parties don't help either.)
I don't think I can express how genuinely I angry I am having read this. Why on earth should these rules - don't swear or put your feet on seats, don't smoke or dodge fares - be dedicated in a list of rules specifically to Under 18s?
An example, I'm 19 now, but two or three years ago I tried to board a Voyager at Stockport, and the catering host just would not let me board at the first class door because he could not believe a teenager would have a first class ticket. He went bright red when I produced it
Having been on one of those ECML trains and being asked four times if I knew I was in First then asked to show a ticket before being allowed to sit down, I get why people don’t like it.
We're digressing, but totally agree. It isn't any passengers business whether or not another passenger has the correct ticket. A polite 'may I see your tickets please' from a staff member is all that's required.Challenging people boarding First Class vehicles on the basis of their appearance is outrageous, ticket checks during the journey are sufficient.
I have only ever once been challenged entering a First Class coach (on a Voyager also) and I was too taken aback to respond as I should have, ie by asking the challenger how they could possibly know what ticket I held. BTW I might not have been wearing a three-piece suit that day but I was not particularly scruffy, and I was in my 50s! Challenging people boarding First Class vehicles on the basis of their appearance is outrageous, ticket checks during the journey are sufficient.
Agreed.On first reading the OP I shared the outrage, but thinking more about it, perhaps the issue is that (some, not all) Under 18s are less likely than (most but not all adults) to be aware of, or care, how their behaviour affects others, and the possible penalties if they transgress? But, of course, all passengers should behave in a respectful manner.