• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Apartment overlooking railway. Where would you choose

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,786
I live on the 36th floor of a tower block in Elephant and Castle, and have a pretty good view of both branches of Thameslink, some Southeastern services, plus the South West Main Line.

One thing to be aware of - if you live above a major rail line you will inevitably see some unpleasant stuff.

You'll also experience regular noisy maintenance, although that's fun - watching the ballast and rails being replaced on the fast lines at E&C was a highlight a few weeks ago!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnnie2Sheds

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2011
Messages
197
Location
West Midlands
I wouldn't want Network Rail or whatever they are called this week as a neighbour, but I live close enough to the WCML. It's within a mile of a junction too so I get freights balls out trying to accelerate back to speed. I love it.
 

Recessio

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2019
Messages
1,541
Location
London
England i would choose flats looking into Euston station

One thing to be aware of - if you live above a major rail line you will inevitably see some unpleasant stuff.
Indeed. I used to live in a flat overlooking the Euston throat. Saw the aftermath of a situation where a suspect being chased by police jumped off of the bridge onto the OHLE. Then a few years later I got evicted because the flat was being demolished to make way for HS2. All in all it wasn't worth it.
 

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2017
Messages
3,186
Location
Way on down South London town
If I had to choose, it would be a when and where. I’d probably do 1998 Wandsworth Road. Imagine having the sound of a Eurostar roaring through your windows. And all the other traction of the day in that area.
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,561
I'll go with the family grave - great view of the Tarka line as it goes past Bishops Tawton
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
I thought the railway was completely underground in Monaco? I too would love to live in Monaco, but I think it's better for superyacht and supercar spotting :lol:
I realised that when I said it and hoped no one would notice
 

Uncle Buck

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2020
Messages
336
Location
Glasgow
Many years ago I stayed in the Grand Hotel, Torquay. My room overlooked the rather attractive GWR Torquay station, which is sort of tucked away in an odd position, and I enjoyed seeing HSTs and Class 47s coming and going to all parts of the country.
 

McRhu

Member
Joined
14 Oct 2015
Messages
667
Location
Lanark
I would rebuild that ruined cottage on Rannoch Moor; just me the trains and the curlews.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,635
Location
Isle of Man
Milson's Point in Sydney. The North Shore Line on one side, the Lavender Bay sidings on the other.

Oh, and Sydney Harbour in the middle.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I thought the railway was completely underground in Monaco?
Would a view over where the old railway station was count?

That it looks over the Loews Hairpin is by the by...
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Milson's Point in Sydney. The North Shore Line on one side, the Lavender Bay sidings on the other.

Oh, and Sydney Harbour in the middle.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==




Would a view over where the old railway station was count?

That it looks over the Loews Hairpin is by the by...
I'll have to make do with Slough then
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Ten Degrees next to East Croydon station has a good view of the line and if you live high up enough, the soundproofing is great. The auto announcements and trains aren't intrusive in the slightest, neither are the aeroplanes or the frequent presence of police sirens. The only thing that's really audible is when manual announcements are made by someone who holds the microphone right to their mouth, but I'm sure it's possible for the station owner to cap the sound to the same level as the auto announcer.
 

Top