• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime Return - do I have to use the Out part first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
For genuine change-of-plans reasons, I am unable to use the Outbound ticket of a pair of Anytime Returns before I use the Return part. I think I've read somewhere that you can be challenged to produce the Return when travelling on the Out - is this correct, and if so how likely is it to cause me a problem?

The tickets are Manchester Stns to Southport. I want to start from Southport, having already used the outbound (Manchester to Southport) ticket.

Edit: Hold on a minute before trying to answer this as I can't get my own head around it now!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
For genuine change-of-plans reasons, I am unable to use the Outbound ticket of a pair of Anytime Returns before I use the Return part. I think I've read somewhere that you can be challenged to produce the Return when travelling on the Out - is this correct, and if so how likely is it to cause me a problem?

The tickets are Manchester Stns to Southport. I want to start from Southport, having already used the outbound (Manchester to Southport) ticket.

Edit: Hold on a minute before trying to answer this as I can't get my own head around it now!

So you have used OUT part (to get to Southport) but the ticket was not gripped and you want to know if you can keep the OUT part to use again if the RETURN part gets gripped/retained!

The answer is no you cant, it isn't a season ticket!

Please ignore as the post below clears things up nicely
 
Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Right, still confusing myself but I think this is the scenario...

Apologies - tickets are SOP-MAN. Two sets, so two OUT SOP-MAN and two RET MAN-SOP.

We are cutting out the original trip to Southport, which was Hereford-Southport... then Manchester (next day)-Middlesborough-Whitby, and the reverse two days later. We are now only going to Manchester and staying in a hotel there, to avoid a very early start from Southport the next morning.

My husband cannot use his tickets now, and is returning to Hereford direct from Manchester on our way back, so rather than waste them I thought I'd:

Go from MAN-SOP after seeing him off, using one of the RET tickets
Have a day trip to Manchester the next day, using one of each tickets
And finally use the remaining OUT ticket to get back to MAN for my own journey back to Hereford, on the final day of its validity.

(For background, we have a flat in Southport hence the option of me being there for a couple of days).

So I'm just a bit concerned in case on my final journey SOP-MAN which will be on an OUT ticket, I am asked to produce the RET counterpart, which of course I won't have.

Sorry it's so confusing. The basic question is how often is there a problem if someone can't show the RET when travelling on an OUT Anytime ticket?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So you have used OUT part (to get to Southport) but the ticket was not gripped and you want to know if you can keep the OUT part to use again if the RETURN part gets gripped/retained!

The answer is no you cant, it isn't a season ticket!

No, sorry, I do know that but if you read my long explanation you will see that these are all unused tickets, but just in the wrong order.
 
Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
You cannot use the outbound portion unless you are in possession of a fully unused return portion.

You are unlikely to be asked, however that doesn't change the fact that it isnt valid
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
What has happened to the original tickets you were going to use to get to and from Southport (from Hereford) and what type of tickets were they!

If you still have the return part you can use it as originally planned.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
What has happened to the original tickets you were going to use to get to and from Southport (from Hereford) and what type of tickets were they!

If you still have the return part you can use it as originally planned.

They are Advances so no good on any other day.

I'll be honest and probably get blasted for this, but we did intend to bend the AP rules slightly, in that our HFD-SOP tickets are via Chester, but instead of changing onto the Merseyrail service at Chester, I have bought extra tickets for Chester to Manchester, since we decided that getting a train from Southport at 0621, when the flat is a mile from the station and there's no buses at that time of day, would mean a stupidly early start.

I know this is a breach of the AP rules, but it's "finishing short", and I understand from various discussions on here that if it is for genuine reasons and not just to save money it is not considered a heinous crime. In our case we are paying for additional tickets so giving the railways more money than we were originally, so I hope leniency would be shown in the event of a challenge. I can't see that we would be caught out as it's just going from one platform to another one at Chester, without trying to leave the station.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I can get a £2 AP from MAN-LIV for my day trip, and a £4 Liverpool to SOP railcard discounted ticket. That will leave me a spare RET part to show when travelling with my final OUT, should the need arise. Cheapest way of doing it I think.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top