• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anytime: London to/from Newton Abbot via...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Quick question: with an Anytime return from Paddington to Newton Abbot can I travel out via Bristol (and break my journey there), and return via Westbury or Salisbury or Bristol, whichever takes my fancy on the day? It seems to be, looking at the routing guide and maps, but confirmation from someone with more experience of the ins and outs of routing would be useful.

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
Yes, any of those stations are on permitted routes. Just make sure you are always on a permitted route & not "doubling back".

If you were to travel London - Salisbury - Honiton - Newton Abbot and return Newton Abbot - Bristol - London, then you could get the cheaper "Route: via Honiton" fare, and pay half the difference on the other leg.
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
Thanks Yorkie. I've found cheaper ways to do it, but I'll be using a Priv as my plans are a bit vague and I don't want to be tied down to any particular route/day so there won't be a huge cost difference.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,487
Location
Yorkshire
You aren't tied to a route as such, if you bought the rte: via Honiton fare then you'd pay £45.60 and if you upgraded (change of route excess) to the rte: via Any Permitted fare, you'd be charged half the difference (for one direction) on the train.

However, as you say there may well be cheaper ways to do it other than a through ticket, for example using a combination of day singles and/or a Day Ranger or a Rover. Some Day Rangers & many Rovers have PRIV discounts, but not all. As these are leisure products, where they do give PRIV discounts they can be very cheap indeed.
 

pendolino

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2010
Messages
737
I need to travel out via Bristol, and may well end up going back that way, so I think I'll stick with the Anytime this time round. Thanks for the advice though, I'll bear it in mind for the future as I'll probably do a similar journey in the future, at which time I might be more organised. Possibly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top