• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone passed MMI... with an office background..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Hey all

So I along with various other have my stage 2 assessments with Freightliner next month.

I’m pretty concerned about the MMI - i just don’t feel I have managed to have many of the experiences they’re looking for.

Ive never been involved in an actual emergency (apart from one time I helped out after someone got hit by a car?? But I didn’t do that much apart from comfort people!)

I’ve always worked in offices so never “alone” in the way a driver is alone in his cab...

As for regulations, well I guess there’s rules in any company isn’t there but it all seems a bit lame compared to people coming from the emergency services or armed forces...

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or had managed to get through with a similar paucity of experience :(
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Val3ntine

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2015
Messages
404
Location
London
Ever needed to drive a long motorway journey? How did you keep yourself concentrated? You must have done something right because you’re alive..Explain how.
Ever done work on your house? Maybe painting, renovating etc. Again, long and boring task. Were you alone? How long for? How did you remain focused.
In your office has a fire alarm ever gone off? What’s the rules and regultions when this happens? What did you do? What was your role? Even planned fire drills. Do you have a role in that and specifc instructions you have to follow?

Trust me there is plenty and im sure now you’ve got the jist of it there’s plenty more you can think of that you’ve experienced. Ensure you really have experienced whatever it is and you can recall every part of it because they will go into so much detail about everything. I dont reckon you will try and blah your way through it because you have come her for advice which is good.
Best of luck I’m sure you will be fine.
 

GMT

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2015
Messages
292
Location
Kent
No, I didn't pass, 20 years in office jobs. I passed everything but the MMI nearly two years ago. My fault, I learnt, I know where I went wrong, next time (if there is one) I'll pass. Val3ntine gave you good advice and encouragement.

As for rules and regulations, in your office you must have policies regarding data protection, at present there is a big drama about it.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
I’m pretty concerned about the MMI - i just don’t feel I have managed to have many of the experiences they’re looking for.

Don't set yourself up for failure. Part of passing the MMI is how confident you can put yourself across and how you can adapt to the questions given. Val has offered some very sound advice.

Ive never been involved in an actual emergency (apart from one time I helped out after someone got hit by a car?? But I didn’t do that much apart from comfort people!)

As above, you set yourself up for failure. You HAVE been involved in an emergency :) Forget the misconceptions this forum seems to propagate. You were involved in an emergency situation, remained calm, provided support, took care of individual needs, took personal responsibility for others, and importantly, put others before yourself. You ACTED and took decisive action. One of the NTS is 'Decision Making and Action' It doesn't matter what decision you made, just that you made one. Consider a box ticked :)

As for regulations, well I guess there’s rules in any company isn’t there but it all seems a bit lame compared to people coming from the emergency services or armed forces...

Dunno here. You probably act more within rules and regs more than Armed Forces. They act under instruction. Again, never set yourself up for failure. Have confidence and NEVER denigrate your skills and experience. The MMI is about YOU, not anyone else.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or had managed to get through with a similar paucity of experience :(

I went in totally blind. Didn't have any support from a forum or insider and never new anything about an MMI. Be yourself, be genuine, be honest and be confident. My previous experience was Management/Retail.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Hey all

So I along with various other have my stage 2 assessments with Freightliner next month.

I’m pretty concerned about the MMI - i just don’t feel I have managed to have many of the experiences they’re looking for.

Ive never been involved in an actual emergency (apart from one time I helped out after someone got hit by a car?? But I didn’t do that much apart from comfort people!)

I’ve always worked in offices so never “alone” in the way a driver is alone in his cab...

As for regulations, well I guess there’s rules in any company isn’t there but it all seems a bit lame compared to people coming from the emergency services or armed forces...

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or had managed to get through with a similar paucity of experience :(
Martin,

As others have said, I really wouldn’t fret over it too much. You’ve demonstrated good aptitude so far in terms of the online assessments and stage 1 of the process. I’m in the same boat in havibg my MMI next month as you know. Bear in mind it’s often the little things that go a long way. Think about your life in general, and you’ll find examples you can refer too. Train drivers come from all walks of life. I’m from a railway/police type background, but I guarantee I won’t find it any easier. A word of advice I would give which has helped me over the years though, is when something happens where you’ve acted calmly/planned an event/prioritised Safety etc etc, pin them at the back of your brain (probably not literally ;)), then when you have an interview of any description, you have examples ready to revert back to. I’ve been caught out with the odd awkward silence before when I tried to think on my feet. Good luck!
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Some very encouraging replies there guys. Much appreciated. Will give it some very serious thought...
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,306
It doesn't have to be emergency as in calling 999, it can be any situation that comes up in your work where you had to deal with something unexpected and urgent. They just want to see that you are able to think on your feet and make decisions where necessary.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
It doesn't have to be emergency as in calling 999, it can be any situation that comes up in your work where you had to deal with something unexpected and urgent. They just want to see that you are able to think on your feet and make decisions where necessary.

Ah see I wasn't aware of that either, I assumed it meant specifically that type of emergency! :)
 

Mundinho

Member
Joined
24 May 2018
Messages
17
I'm from an office background and i passed the MMI.

It doesnt have to be an emergency situation whilst you were at work either; mine was a car accident I was involved in.

The main points are to advise how you remained calm, focused and showed awareness of yours and other peoples safety that you put into practice any training you've had and that you followed procedure.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Economist

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2013
Messages
558
Yes, I was from an office background but one of my hobbies is aviation, the emergency occured whilst I was flying a light aircraft.

There's plenty of interesting hobbies out there which provide good examples for the MMI.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Just in case anyone searches for threads on the same subject I feel I should add that in the end I did pass - so yes, it is perfectly possible to pass the MMI with 'just' an office background
Thanks for all the advice in this thread, it definitely helped me a lot!
 

Niek88

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2018
Messages
82
Does anyone know the 6 MMI question? If its ok 2 disclose them that it is. I have my MMI coming up but i totally forgot what the questions where. Thanks.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
Does anyone know the 6 MMI question? If its ok 2 disclose them that it is. I have my MMI coming up but i totally forgot what the questions where. Thanks.

Just search this forum for MMI mate and you’ll find pretty much all the questions they could ask! It’s what I did and helped massively
 

TonyMontana

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2018
Messages
18
I too have my stage 2 coming up and also from a office background, when I say office its actually an office in a warehouse. Like the OP i too am concerned with the MMI and experiences. with regards to the rules and procedures I have them everyday but will the OPC accept an answer like that, i'e everyday I have to wear my PPE, high viz, boots etc, it seems lame but is an everyday occurrence an acceptable answer?
 

JSegat

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2017
Messages
65
I too have my stage 2 coming up and also from a office background, when I say office its actually an office in a warehouse. Like the OP i too am concerned with the MMI and experiences. with regards to the rules and procedures I have them everyday but will the OPC accept an answer like that, i'e everyday I have to wear my PPE, high viz, boots etc, it seems lame but is an everyday occurrence an acceptable answer?
The OPC normally ask for an example and tell you that it could be from any area, could life, school or work related.

I answered one of then with a life example and passed, but they asked me again at the DMI, and for this time it had to be something work related. So, as far as you can use it on the MMI, be prepared to have a work related answer for the DMI. Just in case.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
I too have my stage 2 coming up and also from a office background, when I say office its actually an office in a warehouse. Like the OP i too am concerned with the MMI and experiences. with regards to the rules and procedures I have them everyday but will the OPC accept an answer like that, i'e everyday I have to wear my PPE, high viz, boots etc, it seems lame but is an everyday occurrence an acceptable answer?
People over think the MMI. I was one of them. You basically just gave a brief outline of what I’m sure could form an MMI answer there. The important thing is to be specific with examples, and don’t just put what you’d normally do. Even if it was quite a normal day last week, use it as an example. The fact you have to wear PPE suggests an environment which is governed by Healtg & Safety rules which must be adhered to.

The thing I liked about the MMI was that you have to write very briefly what you’re going to talk about, before the interview, so you’re not put on the spot when you go in like interviews can be sometimes. Good luck!
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,408
Location
Essex
I too have my stage 2 coming up and also from a office background, when I say office its actually an office in a warehouse. Like the OP i too am concerned with the MMI and experiences. with regards to the rules and procedures I have them everyday but will the OPC accept an answer like that, i'e everyday I have to wear my PPE, high viz, boots etc, it seems lame but is an everyday occurrence an acceptable answer?

Yes it is mate, totally acceptable, as long as you talk about it in terms of train driver qualities...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top