• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone one applyfor northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevins123

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2013
Messages
5
Has anyone on here applied for the MDD at Heaton, it closed on the 4th july. has anyone heard anything back yet?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
I applied for the apprenticeship. Not heard anything as yet
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgot to ask; do they e-mail you or do you have to keep logging into the recruitment portal?
 

kevins123

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2013
Messages
5
The last time I applied for MDD job i got a phone call to say I had been successful in the sift and would I be available to go for assessment. If unsuccsessful I would imagine you would just get an email
 

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
I have just applied for the recent depot driver role.

Anyone else?
 

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
Yes, but i don't hold much hope of getting anywhere.

How so?

I have to admit, I am a little doubtful as I am sure Northern have had a lot of applications for this role. But I am still thinking positive!
 

Fred Dinenage

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2013
Messages
347
Went through sift, interview and assessment day in 2013, didn't even get through sift last year. And Kevins123 followed exactly the same pattern. Without being conceited, i doubt both of us would have put in a crap application, which suggests either internals or some who had already passed assessments got the job.

I may be way way out but i'm not hopeful and am finding it hard to keep grinning whilst being left to the whims of railway HR departments. Good that you're optimistic though :D
 

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
Went through sift, interview and assessment day in 2013, didn't even get through sift last year. And Kevins123 followed exactly the same pattern. Without being conceited, i doubt both of us would have put in a crap application, which suggests either internals or some who had already passed assessments got the job.

I may be way way out but i'm not hopeful and am finding it hard to keep grinning whilst being left to the whims of railway HR departments. Good that you're optimistic though :D


Can I ask what the assessment day was like? It's hard when you're not only up against external applications, but also internal. But what can you do? :D
 

Fred Dinenage

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2013
Messages
347
It was the old-style assessments so they've changed a lot. Nerve-wracking though, my hands were trembling when i was doing the group bourdon but i settled down quickly..i think i'd built up too many nerves about the whole day. Listening carefully and following instructions are hugely important, as is knowing what to expect. One lad doing the dots raced through and completed far, far more lines than anyone else. He'd only been marking the 4 dots in a square shape though and didn't realise the 4 dots come in other shapes too....

The hardest part for me ( and the one i failed on ) was the MMI at the end. Only 2 of our group of 10 made it that far and we both came up short. The lady asking the questions was particularly robotic and off-putting but i'm lead to believe it's supposed to be like that. I failed on my lone working example.

Yes it's hard, the worst part is not knowing if your application has been binned in my experience. Still waiting after applying to DB Schenker last June for any acknowledgement. Although that's small potatoes compared to some.

Anyway, good luck with your quest :D
 

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
It was the old-style assessments so they've changed a lot. Nerve-wracking though, my hands were trembling when i was doing the group bourdon but i settled down quickly..i think i'd built up too many nerves about the whole day. Listening carefully and following instructions are hugely important, as is knowing what to expect. One lad doing the dots raced through and completed far, far more lines than anyone else. He'd only been marking the 4 dots in a square shape though and didn't realise the 4 dots come in other shapes too....

The hardest part for me ( and the one i failed on ) was the MMI at the end. Only 2 of our group of 10 made it that far and we both came up short. The lady asking the questions was particularly robotic and off-putting but i'm lead to believe it's supposed to be like that. I failed on my lone working example.

Yes it's hard, the worst part is not knowing if your application has been binned in my experience. Still waiting after applying to DB Schenker last June for any acknowledgement. Although that's small potatoes compared to some.

Anyway, good luck with your quest :D


Sounds...interesting! :o

I'm looking for a traineeship/apprenticeship within the rail industry, but can't find anything. Infact, the only job for drivers that's relevant is the depot job. I applied for the engineering apprenticeship last year but didn't get passed the paper sift, which is a shame as I love engineering and engines in general.

Have you ever heard of a trainee freight driver? My friend has just started with Northern as a train driver which I was pleased for him. Lucky sod! :p
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top