• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone considering relocating temporarily due to covid restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
473
Has anyone here concidered temporarily relocating overseas until this situation blows over. Especially if they have family members who live abroad in countries where thing are relatively normal?

I know that this may seem a bit extreme too some people but giving the effects the Current situation is having on my physical and mental health and the fact I have doubts about it improving anytime soon I’m currently considering it.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
We were actively considering moving to New Zealand for a year as we have family over there and I would be allowed entry under one of the few exemptions because of close family relationships. We didn't because I'm at uni and thought I would need to be there for in person teaching as things got better throughout the terms. I wish I hadn't had such optimism...
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
We were actively considering moving to New Zealand for a year as we have family over there and I would be allowed entry under one of the few exemptions because of close family relationships. We didn't because I'm at uni and thought I would need to be there for in person teaching as things got better throughout the terms. I wish I hadn't had such optimism...
Would you be able to take a year out of your course?
 

MattA7

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
473
Or if it’s all online (or mostly) inform the university that you will be overseas and they may be happy to make minor adjustments.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Or if it’s all online (or mostly) inform the university that you will be overseas and they may be happy to make minor adjustments.
The time difference in New Zealand would make it necessary to be a bit nocturnal, but if you can cope with that, it should be do-able.
 

MattA7

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2019
Messages
473
The time difference in New Zealand would make it necessary to be a bit nocturnal, but if you can cope with that, it should be do-able.

i hadn’t thought of that. I forgot New Zealand’s time zone is very different.
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
I don't think taking time out of the course was a great option for me or necessarily doable - by the time I realised things weren't getting better it was too far into the term - but to be fair, the timezone wouldn't necessarily be a problem with the limited amount of "live" things taking place, as most content is pre-recorded anyway to watch in your own time.

If things don't pick up over the next couple of months we might have to start considering again whether we can just go and stay with family there for a few months and I could do my summer work there. Getting out of this country looks incredibly appealing at the moment I must admit...
 

londiscape

Member
Joined
1 Oct 2013
Messages
296
Location
SW London
For the first time in my life I have considered relocating permanently - purely for fear of what my country (UK) has become. I used to be proud that the UK had a good history of standing up against fascism and authoritarianism, and characterised our way of life as a sensible democracy founded on classical liberal values. That meant plurality of views, freedom of speech, expression, association, and the right to protest against tyrannical overreach where it threatened the liberty of the common people. All of these things that we used to take for granted for many years, codified in the Human Rights Act 1998.

The government is the servant of the people, not the other way round.

But, the last 12 months has destroyed any faith in the "wisdom of the crowd", for it has become very clear how such wisdom can be manipulated. See the following: https://www.coronababble.com/post/t...a-letter-to-the-british-psychological-society

What has happened in Europe and the Americas, formerly countries which could proudly describe themselves as "democracies" is deeply sinister, and we should all be concerned for what kind of society we are emerging into.

But - to revert to the original question - where would I relocate to, given most of the West is in the grip of the same hysteria?
 

Gadget88

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
811
I have thought about it but I will see how it pans out if this was long term then yes New Zealand sounds nice but would they allow visitors in?
 

BJames

Established Member
Joined
27 Jan 2018
Messages
1,464
I have thought about it but I will see how it pans out if this was long term then yes New Zealand sounds nice but would they allow visitors in?
Currently the policy is (see https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions#travel-eligibility for more detail):

Travel eligibility​

Allowed to come here without first requesting to travel are:
  • New Zealand citizens and permanent resident visa holders
  • the partner or dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and your visa is based on this relationship
  • a diplomat who holds a post in New Zealand
  • Australian citizens or permanent residents ordinarily resident in New Zealand.
It is probably not unreasonable to assume that it will stay this way until vaccines are widely available and you can show proof of vaccination to enter - I have no source for this but it seems like the logical path for them. Otherwise, they open up now and will have the same outbreaks as the rest of the western world (and arguably worse as there is no immunity whatsoever within the population). They have eliminated covid and are one of the only nations to do so - they will do all they can to stop it coming back, but tourism and foreigners are a large part of their economy so once borders can feasibly reopen they will.
 

JonathanP

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2008
Messages
317
Location
Berlin, Germany
For the first time in my life I have considered relocating permanently - purely for fear of what my country (UK) has become. I used to be proud that the UK had a good history of standing up against fascism and authoritarianism, and characterised our way of life as a sensible democracy founded on classical liberal values. That meant plurality of views, freedom of speech, expression, association, and the right to protest against tyrannical overreach where it threatened the liberty of the common people. All of these things that we used to take for granted for many years, codified in the Human Rights Act 1998.

The government is the servant of the people, not the other way round.

But, the last 12 months has destroyed any faith in the "wisdom of the crowd", for it has become very clear how such wisdom can be manipulated. See the following: https://www.coronababble.com/post/t...a-letter-to-the-british-psychological-society

What has happened in Europe and the Americas, formerly countries which could proudly describe themselves as "democracies" is deeply sinister, and we should all be concerned for what kind of society we are emerging into.

But - to revert to the original question - where would I relocate to, given most of the West is in the grip of the same hysteria?
In order to meet your particular requirements, I would advise you to look for countries with particularly high Covid-19 death rates.

For example, due to the unwillingness of many states to participate in what you describe as "hysteria", the USA has around 20% of worldwide Covid-19 deaths despite representing only 4% of the world population. So, perhaps one of the midwestern US states would be a good choice.
 

Cdd89

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2017
Messages
1,786
Shouldn't be traveling abroad at the moment anyway.
Moving house is an exemption to the tier 4 regulations.

Or did you mean “I don’t think people should be travelling abroad”?
 

Mainline421

Member
Joined
7 May 2013
Messages
916
Location
Aberystwyth
I was serioulsy considering moving to Sweden for a while since very little is required of me in-person but the travel restrictions for the 'new strain' put a stop to that. Even very briefly considered "holidaying" in Tanzainia for 3 months, but there's also the major downside of becoming actually isolated from everyone through distance that partially defeats the point (not to mention cost).

If I was in the OP's situation I probably would. There's very little point in being in the UK right now if you're just at home in lockdown and don't need to be for work etc.
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
I've been considering moving to France or Canada for a few years now, purely for better access to outdoors sports that I enjoy.
I was serioulsy considering moving to Sweden for a while since very little is required of me in-person but the travel restrictions for the 'new strain' put a stop to that. Even very briefly considered "holidaying" in Tanzainia for 3 months, but there's also the major downside of becoming actually isolated from everyone through distance that partially defeats the point (not to mention cost).

If I was in the OP's situation I probably would. There's very little point in being in the UK right now if you're just at home in lockdown and don't need to be for work etc.
East Africa is lovely though, If I had it in me, I'd love to move to Jinja in Uganda, on the banks of the Nile.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top