• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone been to Manchester for assessments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rorybreaker

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2012
Messages
18
Hi.

Got assessments next week for Northern but they are in Manchester. No exact location given yet but just wondered if anyone knew where they perhaps would be? I was under the impression that there were only official assessment centres like Donny? Cheers.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
Hi.

Got assessments next week for Northern but they are in Manchester. No exact location given yet but just wondered if anyone knew where they perhaps would be? I was under the impression that there were only official assessment centres like Donny? Cheers.

I did an assessment for TPE last year which was in an office on canal street. :)
 

rorybreaker

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2012
Messages
18
I did an assessment for TPE last year which was in an office on canal street. :)

Oh ok. thanks for that. Out of interest, was the GB dots on paper or computer? Also, did you travel by train? If so what was the nearest station? Assuming that is where mine will be next week when they give me the location!! Cheers.
 

Withnailandi

Member
Joined
18 Oct 2012
Messages
130
It will probably be done at Square 1, this is the big Network Rail building next to platform 1 at Piccadilly, seems to be dots for drivers and SCAAT for guards.
 

evoluzione

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2012
Messages
152
Location
North East
Hi.

Got assessments next week for Northern but they are in Manchester. No exact location given yet but just wondered if anyone knew where they perhaps would be? I was under the impression that there were only official assessment centres like Donny? Cheers.

My assessments where held at the McDonald Hotel next to Man Picc, OPC ran the day they just book out a few conference rooms in the hotel.

Dot test is paper based.

When I did mine it was dots, mech and then the written part of the structured interview.

Then we had to wait for results unfortunatley 6 out of 8 got sent home at first hurdle, then TRP, Dials (which I thought was the easiest out of all tests) another wait to see if you made the grade.

DTG - followed by another wait, they like to keep the pressure up.

Structured interview, this latest about an hour an half, because of so many getting sent home at start there was no breaks at all, 2 candidates left 2 DTG machines and two interviewers so we just went straight through.

I started at 9am and came out the interview at 1.30pm with my head spinning,followed by week wait to see if I had passed :D

Good luck, what depot you applied for?
 
Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
Joined
3 Dec 2008
Messages
2,177
Location
Huyton
Oh ok. thanks for that. Out of interest, was the GB dots on paper or computer? Also, did you travel by train? If so what was the nearest station? Assuming that is where mine will be next week when they give me the location!! Cheers.

The GB test was done on paper (I found it much easier on paper than on screen)

I travelled in by car and home by train, the nearest station was Piccadilly, but I got a tram from there to Victoria.

It will probably be done at Square 1, this is the big Network Rail building next to platform 1 at Piccadilly, seems to be dots for drivers and SCAAT for guards.

For TPE it was the other way round, GB for guards and SCAAT for drivers!
 

rorybreaker

Member
Joined
21 Jul 2012
Messages
18
That's a great help thanks. I've to Donny before last year but got a borderline on the reaction test. I spoke with Northern this morning who said it is OPC doing it. It is being done in 2 halves though. Next week is everything other than reaction and interview. Then if you get through, you go back again in two weeks to complete it. Much easier in my opinion as that day at Donny doing all in same day was really full on.

I'm applying for Depot driver at Allerton. Passed managers interview and everything but reaction last time so fingers crossed, this will be my time!!

My assessments where held at the McDonald Hotel next to Man Picc, OPC ran the day they just book out a few conference rooms in the hotel.

Dot test is paper based.

When I did mine it was dots, mech and then the written part of the structured interview.

Then we had to wait for results unfortunatley 6 out of 8 got sent home at first hurdle, then TRP, Dials (which I thought was the easiest out of all tests) another wait to see if you made the grade.

DTG - followed by another wait, they like to keep the pressure up.

Structured interview, this latest about an hour an half, because of so many getting sent home at start there was no breaks at all, 2 candidates left 2 DTG machines and two interviewers so we just went straight through.

I started at 9am and came out the interview at 1.30pm with my head spinning,followed by week wait to see if I had passed :D

Good luck, what depot you applied for?
 

stargazer

Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
30
That's a great help thanks. I've to Donny before last year but got a borderline on the reaction test. I spoke with Northern this morning who said it is OPC doing it. It is being done in 2 halves though. Next week is everything other than reaction and interview. Then if you get through, you go back again in two weeks to complete it. Much easier in my opinion as that day at Donny doing all in same day was really full on.

I'm applying for Depot driver at Allerton. Passed managers interview and everything but reaction last time so fingers crossed, this will be my time!!

Which number did you use to contact them?
I am still waiting confirmation of the venue for my assessments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top