I want to visit the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch railway this year. I'll get a Pendo down to London, then I'd like to get a Javelin from St Pancras. Where would I book to - Ashford Int or Folkstone? How can I ensure my ticket is for HS1 and not via the ordinary rail lines?
To ensure its for HS1, ask for a high speed ticket.
Where are you travelling from? If its the other side of London, then the High Speed service is automatically included in the normal fare.
As for the RHDR. Do you want to change trains?
The closest station to Hythe is Sandling, but you would have to change at Ashford onto a 375. Its only 12mins from Ashford. Saves you about 30mins over the current classic services, even with changing at Ashford.
You can get a taxi from Sandling, but would have to call ahead to the local taxi firm, or there should be buses from Sandling down into Hythe. Takes about 5mins in a taxi.
If you go onto Folkestone, then its about a 10min walk to the bus station (depending on how fast you walk), then a 20-25min bus journey into Hythe. From Folkestone the no. 10 will drop you off right outside the RHDR. They are every hour. The no. 12 will drop you off just down from the RHDR.
With the 3 bus routes that go from Folkestone to Hythe, you should get one at least every 25 to 30 mins. They all go the same route between Folkestone and Hythe.
To be honest, the easiest option is going to Sandling, then getting a taxi.
Its a little over 1hr from St Pancras to Sandling, changing at Ashford. Then another 5 to 10mins into Hythe.
If you go onto Folkestone, then give yourself an hour to get from Folkestone station to Hythe.
Definitely quicker via Sandling as well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As for my opinions on the Javelin.
Impressive acceleration. Not very brilliant ride. Rough at times, shaky at others. Good legroom, but very bland interior (one of the worst), and seats that i just cannot get comfortable in.
Overall, average minus!!
I definitely would not use them as a basis for future internal designs of trains.