• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any way to treat a young lady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,126
Location
Birmingham
I bet it would be a different story if she had been, say, some Asian guy in a wheelchair.....

Your Asian guy in the wheelchair kindly provided the whole world with video evidence of the end of the story which showed him being a total dick. I don't think the "girl" has provided video evidence of the door being "slammed in her face"

If you take your Daily Mail hat off you'll realise that these are vastly different stories and the only thing they share is the exaggerated tabloid reporting of what actually went on.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
Your Asian guy in the wheelchair kindly provided the whole world with video evidence of the end of the story which showed him being a total dick. I don't think the "girl" has provided video evidence of the door being "slammed in her face"

If you take your Daily Mail hat off you'll realise that these are vastly different stories and the only thing they share is the exaggerated tabloid reporting of what actually went on.

Somebody needs a sense of humour here.

Also, check my posts about the wheelchair guy. I seem to recall referring to him as a "lying scumbag". I never believe anything anyone says.
 

Kernowfem

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2009
Messages
726
Location
The Midlands
A graduate who couldnt navigate her way around?? From what i remember of my uni days trying to navigate your way home/around while sozzled as a sausage became a bit of a speciality....Albeit it was not by train and not across the country. But sober? should be fairly easy....and why no cash?? I never leave home without either cash or my credit card.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,674
A graduate who couldnt navigate her way home?? From what i remember of my uni days trying to navigate your way home while sozzled as a sausage became a bit of a speciality....Albeit it was not by train and not across the country. But sober? should be fairly easy....and why no cash?? I never leave home without either cash or my credit card.

or charge in my phone
 

Kernowfem

Member
Joined
24 Oct 2009
Messages
726
Location
The Midlands
or charge in my phone

Dont get me wrong, ive let my phone go flat numerous times..but surely there were phone boxes or other passengers phones she could have borrowed? Theres always someone happy to loan you the use of their mobile for a call.....

It sounds to me like she was totally unprepared....
 

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
1,975
I've not travelled as much as you guys this year but, over the last few years I have travelled a far bit. I do love travelling. (I couldn't really afford it all the time). But yeah it may be bad luck, I hope it is because I do enjoy train travel. I usually steer clear of staff (maybe I've avoided the good ones?). I can't really say after my bad experiences I talk to staff any more, out of not wanting to get the brunt of bad service.

we're certainly not all bad, I can get down sometimes, which whilst might be unprofessional, it's only human nature, it's hard work standing in the cold for 12 hours when people are ranting and raving at you... we all have bad days, and there are a number of passengers who think we make their lives hell on purpose, which is simply not true... face it, if I can get you on your train, running on time, connecting all perfectly giving you a decent journey, then it makes my life a damn sight easier than listening to people whinge. Then you've got the people who just don't help themselves, bunch round you in a crowd as every single person in that crowd asks you for the same destination, can be tiring! People who don't listen to announcements, you can announce something several times nice and clearly, next minute they come and ask you were so and so train is... well I did announce the platform was altered... really it is too easy to think why do I even bother - which is honestly the wrong frame of mind, but it is testing and to those people who say well you shouldn't get angry, huff puff etc blah blah it's wrong, I suggest you try a day in the life of staff.
Bottom line is, if you co operate, then you'll get a decent level of service most of the time... i'm not going to say all of the time, because I know that's unfair - no service is perfect.
All to often these stories that emerge in the media are half a story, may I cast your minds back to the wheelchair incident not so long ago...
 

mickey

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
734
we're certainly not all bad, I can get down sometimes, which whilst might be unprofessional, it's only human nature, it's hard work standing in the cold for 12 hours when people are ranting and raving at you
[...]
Bottom line is, if you co operate, then you'll get a decent level of service most of the time... i'm not going to say all of the time, because I know that's unfair - no service is perfect.

I disagree. The very nature of a service industry is that, despite any crap an individual staff member may be feeling, it gets put aside when dealing with customers. Politeness and helpfulness are important 100% of the time. In lines of business where this is recognised (hotels, etc.) this is expected and delivered and customers are usually compensated (and staff disciplined) if it isn't. Anyone who can't cope with it shouldn't be in that line of business.

I'm not excusing poor behaviour on the part of passengers, and I'm definitely not saying it's easy (and yes, I do know from experience). But too many staff are allowed to get away with not recognising that they are dealing with paying customers who should be treated as such.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,674
it's your job to put on a service no matter what, i work in a hotel part time and if i have a bad day i do not take it out on the customer because it unproffesional no matter how much of a d1ck there being and no matter how wrong they are. its what were paid to do. I know its nto easy but its a job
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
If they're being such a d1ck then you don't deal with them. But it shouldn't escalate to that scenario in the first place, which is what usually happens. It is reasonably rare, in my experience anyway, for a passenger or member of the public to turn on you as soon as you encounter them. A decent 'service provider' won't let things get out of hand in the first place.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,674
If they're being such a d1ck then you don't deal with them. But it shouldn't escalate to that scenario in the first place, which is what usually happens. It is reasonably rare, in my experience anyway, for a passenger or member of the public to turn on you as soon as you encounter them. A decent 'service provider' won't let things get out of hand in the first place.
(i'm presuming this is aimed at me if not then sorry)

no but the chefs where i work are not decent service providers and its them and the managers who think £20 for sausage and one spoon of mash is reasonable then me and the other minimum wagers have to take the abuse and deal with it.

The only way i can stop the situation in first place is to ask chefs to cook good food and for managers not to tell chefs to scam all customers with portion size. And no i cant do that cos ive tried. so why does that make me not a decent sergice provider?
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
It doesn't make you a poor service provider! You do not set the price or cook the food! You do your role to the best of your ability, and refer any complaints about the price or quality to your manager/ supervisor or whoever. Sorry if you thought i was describing you as a poor service provider, as that was not what i was getting at! :)
 

bluenoxid

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
2,668
It wouldn't be good to be abandoned in Wokingham (or anywhere) really.

There would have been opportunties to protect herself though.

0800 REVERSE is a handy service and there are still usually payphones to be found near a railway station.

Or even dial the operator and ask for a reverse charged call...

Don't all stations have a telephone "help point" too?

Depends where it is. If it is behind barriers or gates its no use
 

fgwoll1e

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2007
Messages
42
Wokingham has payphones, also has help points on platforms, one right next to the door which was allegedly slammed in her face. (should still be there - although has been a while since I've used Wokingham station)

Wokingham isn't an isolated place - it has a taxi rank, and a pub next to it, which has been pointed out in the original thread on the other forum. It is also a few mins walk from the town centre.

In regard to the other passengers, that hasn't been answered yet, either this girl was the only one on the coach, or all the other passengers vanished - maybe they only wanted Wokingham anyway?

Wokingham wouldn't have had a DSM on duty, it was probably again as mentioned on other topic, a member of SWT platform staff, working alone and under pressure at a time of disruption.

In regard to FGW getting her to Farnborough, yes this is true, however there can be reasons why this didn't occur, main being they probably didn't know! Or perhaps knew the bus terminated, but didn't see need to worry, as 2 trains called at Wokingham heading to Farnborough whilst this girl was at the station.
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Do tell us then!

Since I wasn't there, I can't possibly say. Neither can anyone else.

That just isn't true at all. Who is running around, scared (of who/what?), shouting "sack'em" and "compensation"?

The only person who is being sensationalist and making assumptions is you. Is there any reason for this chip on your shoulder?

How am I being sensationalist? My whole argument is about not making assumptions; ie rational thinking and not taking this at face value. This is a story that would be well at home in any tabloid paper.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,559
Location
Yorkshire
Since I wasn't there, I can't possibly say. Neither can anyone else.
Then I assume you are withdrawing your comments that "She's a grown woman who should be able to look after herself", " she probably didn't even ask properly", "I called her timid" you also cast doubt on the allegation that a member of staff slammed the door in her face, but offer no reason for expressing this doubt. In other words, don't slander her because, as you admit you "can't possibly say". You also said earlier "I was speculating."

How am I being sensationalist? My whole argument is about not making assumptions; ie rational thinking and not taking this at face value. This is a story that would be well at home in any tabloid paper.
You did make assumptions, the assumptions you appear to make are that:
- She didn't "look after her self"
- She "didn't even ask properly"
- She is "timid"
- The door was not slammed in her face.

As you said earlier, "I was speculating." I believe that sort of speculation is unwise, unwarranted and uncalled for.

You claim members of this forum are asking for staff to be sacked, however that is not true, which you later admitted.
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Then I assume you are withdrawing your comments that "She's a grown woman who should be able to look after herself", " she probably didn't even ask properly", "I called her timid" you also cast doubt on the allegation that a member of staff slammed the door in her face, but offer no reason for expressing this doubt. In other words, don't slander her because, as you admit you "can't possibly say". You also said earlier "I was speculating."


You did make assumptions, the assumptions you appear to make are that:
- She didn't "look after her self"
- She "didn't even ask properly"
- She is "timid"
- The door was not slammed in her face.

As you said earlier, "I was speculating." I believe that sort of speculation is unwise, unwarranted and uncalled for.

You claim members of this forum are asking for staff to be sacked, however that is not true, which you later admitted.

  • She's 23. She is a grown woman.
  • I said that the anecdote suggests she is timid, not that she is.
  • Why would a member of staff slam the door in her face? I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's highly unlikely.
  • I did not say that she is timid. I've covered that.
  • How is going out with no money, 'looking after herself'? It's not. Whatever else may or may not have happened to her, leaving home with no money is just stupid.
  • I didn't say the door wasn't slammed in her face. I said 'we've only got her word'.
  • I was anticipating people calling for sackings, as is the norm with these scaremongering stories.

There's nothing like a bit of rationality when reading these stories, still you carry on and dissect my posts like the wannabe tabloid writer you are.

By the way, if this did happen as it's written then the member of staff needs to be spoken to, but since it's only half the story (meaning, where's the POV of the TOC staff?), I wouldn't want to say whether it's true or not.
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,825
Location
Central Belt
[*]How is going out with no money, 'looking after herself'? It's not. Whatever else may or may not have happened to her, leaving home with no money is just stupid.

I know with all the pages that have gone on that this may be out of context, but I very frequently go out with no money. On a typical day I have less that £5 in my pocket. That is why I have a debit card & credit card. So I don't really consider leaving home with no money just stupid, in fact I would rather my cards get stolen rather than my cash, at least I can stop the cards getting used!

Likewise she is 23 therefore a grown woman - relavance please? My granny is 86 - also a grown woman!
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
  • She's 23. She is a grown woman.

And? she was stuck somewhere in the middle of the night wwith no money and what would seem like no hope, possible quite scared too as she may not have knowen what the place she was in was like

Ive gone out plenty of times with just the money I need, sorry we arnt all blessed with having a spare £10/£20 in our back pockets

also didnt it say she was a student, so that kinda also covers the money issue
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like we have some White Knights on here......

A 23 year old girl tells a story and all the lifelong virgins on here feel sorry for her.

I bet it would be a different story if she had been, say, some Asian guy in a wheelchair.....

Ahh, well on behalf of everyone on the forum, you can have her shes yours mate, for the record if it was an asian guy in a wheelchair, id still say the same
 

daikilo

Established Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,623
And? she was stuck somewhere in the middle of the night wwith no money and what would seem like no hope, possible quite scared too as she may not have knowen what the place she was in was like

Ive gone out plenty of times with just the money I need, sorry we arnt all blessed with having a spare £10/£20 in our back pockets

also didnt it say she was a student, so that kinda also covers the money issue
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Ahh, well on behalf of everyone on the forum, you can have her shes yours mate, for the record if it was an asian guy in a wheelchair, id still say the same

She certainly could have been mine, although a little older..

The issue is whether the TOC has understood that what is claimed to have happened is not acceptable. Have they?
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Which TOC though? Ultimately, assuming the basic facts of the story are correct, it was the bus company that left the person in Wokingham, and the station staff (SWT) who did not provide any further assistance.

Out of interest, does anyone know how many station staff are normally on duty at 2300 in Wokingham and what their roles are?
 

37401

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2008
Messages
3,276
Location
Birmingham
Yes good point raised just now, Fred imagine this was your daughter or sister or girlfriend, I can't imagine you'd be saying the same
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Which TOC though? Ultimately, assuming the basic facts of the story are correct, it was the bus company that left the person in Wokingham, and the station staff (SWT) who did not provide any further assistance.

Out of interest, does anyone know how many station staff are normally on duty at 2300 in Wokingham and what their roles are?

Its staffed to 0015 M-Sat, booking office closes around 2030 though, but there was a staffed info point on the Gatwick-bound platform when I was there two Sats back, with about two people in it :D
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Ta Matt. Would the info point be open at 2300?

(I'm wondering if the passenger went to a staff room and found contractors or other non TOC staff that refused to speak to her).
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Ta Matt. Would the info point be open at 2300?

(I'm wondering if the passenger went to a staff room and found contractors or other non TOC staff that refused to speak to her).

Probably there for dispatch, lot like here in Blackburn, were staffed to 2359 similarly, just one guy in an office waiting for the last train, think they do info and announcements etc :D
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Yes, it's pretty much like that in Swansea. I sometimes catch the 2345 service home, and I think there is just one member of station staff on duty.
 

Tom B

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2005
Messages
4,680
Ta Matt. Would the info point be open at 2300?

(I'm wondering if the passenger went to a staff room and found contractors or other non TOC staff that refused to speak to her).

I'd hope that all railway staff who had cause to be on the station had at least enough training to be able to say "I don't know, but the chap over *gesture* there will help you".
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
We all hope that, but at 2300 with a couple of people who are setting up some maintenace work in a private room and anything might happen!
 

Fred26

Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
1,107
Yes good point raised just now, Fred imagine this was your daughter or sister or girlfriend, I can't imagine you'd be saying the same

I'm trying to be objective, rather than taking the story at face value. The relevance, for me anyway, of her being a grown woman, is that by 23 she should be able to look after herself, regardless of anything else.
This person didn't just leave home with no money, she travelled a reasonable distance with no money. I'd call that fairly daft.

However, to take the story at face value, I'd agree with most posts in here, it's just that as TOC staff, I know instances like this happen every day... maybe not this extreme though. I feel sorry for the lady, but I'm quite interested to know if she was the only person that this happened to and if so, why?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top