You've got the platforms the wrong way round. Platform one is used by the majority of services. Platform two is used occasionally as needed (with one timetabled use in the morning when two trains are booked in the station at the same time).
I would be curious to know however if the reduction in useable length of platform two is permanent or not and the reason for it! This has been in place now for at least a month:
View attachment 67310
Trains did always used to stop right up against the buffers.
Platform one has had its length reduced by an S Car stop board (which I think also applies to platform two) which seems to be strictly obayed. I suspect the reason on platform one is due to some issue with a track joint. I was on a 142 that stopped up against the buffers on platform one and the two vehicles became quite badly misaligned with a huge step in the gangway between the two vehicles. But open to other suggestions!