• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Permitted London to Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister-sparky

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Messages
468
Location
Kent
Hey guys,

I have an off-peak return between London and Glasgow marked "any permitted" and was wondering if people can tell me what the permitted routes were? Apart from the obvious WCML of course. I have tried the routing guide but I just got lost... Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
Without checking, I believe the short version pretty much boils down to "Whatever way you want to go from Liverpool Street, Moorgate, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston or Marylebone"...possibly Paddington too.
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
There's two routes from Scotland, one via Carlisle, one via Berwick.

Most obvious routes I believe are covered, perhaps not going from east to west via Huddersfield.

What route are you actually after? Bear in mind that there's no BOJ on the outbound.
 

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,581
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Carlisle & Berwick?...when did the route from Hexham to Riccarton Jn. stop being permitted? Have I missed something?...

Seriously though, the permitted routes are quite varied. Most of that variation lies south of the border but if travelling via Edinburgh you can pick any valid route between there and Glasgow.

In General you have three main routes & variations thereof. East, West, & Midland. East will generally take you via Berwick - upon - Tweed and West & Midland will take you to Carlisle.

It is possible to e.g. start on the East Coast route & cut across to the Midland/West at various locations.

FAO CyrusWuff Paddington yes, Paddington is a valid starting/finishing London Terminal for travel towards Birmingham (& point north thereof) via Oxford.

Lots of choice & lots of variation. Get out & see some of our beautiful country.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,727
Location
Scotland
I have an off-peak return between London and Glasgow marked "any permitted" and was wondering if people can tell me what the permitted routes were?
There are hundreds (not an exaggeration): you want to see Cambridge? That's fine. You want to go to Warrington and then across to Leeds? That's fine too. Feel like taking in the S&C (when it's open again)? Perfectly fine. Manchester your thing? Enjoy. You want to do Carlisle, Newcastle, Edinburgh? Fill your boots.

(Though, not all of these in order!)
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
There are hundreds (not an exaggeration): you want to see Cambridge? That's fine. You want to go to Warrington and then across to Leeds? That's fine too. Feel like taking in the S&C (when it's open again)? Perfectly fine. Manchester your thing? Enjoy. You want to do Carlisle, Newcastle, Edinburgh? Fill your boots.

(Though, not all of these in order!)

Not sure that you can do Warrington to Leeds on the return part of a London to Glasgow off peak return?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,727
Location
Scotland
Not sure that you can do Warrington to Leeds on the return part of a London to Glasgow off peak return?
I did Warrington to Leeds on the return half of an off peak Dundee-Glasgow return so I can't see why not.

Edit: I take that back. I'm surprised that none of the mapped routes include the Manchester-Leeds link (I must've been thinking of Edinburgh). Okay, we'll substitute a visit to historical Lincoln for a trip from Manchester to Leeds. :)
 
Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,474
Location
London
Having now checked the RG, you can use the following combinations of maps (in order of complexity):
  • KG
  • LM
  • PG
  • TC
  • GC+BE
  • GC+WS
  • LM+GK
  • GC+BE+GK
  • GC+WS+GK
  • LM+IN+GO
  • WA+EC+EG
  • WA+ER+GY
  • WA+ER+GY+WN

KG is essentially Kings Cross/Moorgate - Edinburgh (via pretty much any diversion you can think of except Hitchin - Cambridge - Ely - Peterborough)

LM is the WCML plus diversions (except Liverpool)

PG is Paddington - Oxford - Leamington Spa - Birmingham (via Coventry or Solihull) then picks up the West Coast between Nuneaton and Stafford

TC is St Pancras - Sheffield (via Derby or Nottingham) - Leeds - Settle - Lancaster/Carlisle - Glasgow (Cumbrian Coast's an option too)

Sequences beginning with GC are from Marylebone and those beginning with WA are from Liverpool Street.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,736
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
In practice, that ticket (or a similar one) is a two-day all lines rover provided you don't go back on yourself or do something obviously ridiculous like try to go via Penzance or down a branch line.
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
I did Warrington to Leeds on the return half of an off peak Dundee-Glasgow return so I can't see why not.

I'm guessing that the 'Dundee-Glasgow' bit is just a typo (that's just maps FD or GA ) or am I wrong?
 

miami

Established Member
Joined
3 Oct 2015
Messages
3,305
In practice, that ticket (or a similar one) is a two-day all lines rover provided you don't go back on yourself or do something obviously ridiculous like try to go via Penzance or down a branch line.

Not really. A fairly reasonable route would be London-Birmingham-Manchester-York-Newcastle-Carlisle-Glasgow. I don't believe Manchester-Leeds or Newcastle-Carlisle is valid in either direction. It also seems the only way to go Leeds-Settle-Carlilse is if you travel via Stansted, aside from that I don't see a way to cross the pennines south of the border and north of the thames valley. There's also the lack of BOJ on the outbound.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,904
I'm guessing that the 'Dundee-Glasgow' bit is just a typo (that's just maps FD or GA ) or am I wrong?

It's entirely possible that it was allowed by mistake at some point in history, not anymore of course.
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
It's entirely possible that it was allowed by mistake at some point in history, not anymore of course.

That's certainly possible ( and in any case it's wise never to assume anything when it comes to the routeing guide which is why I wanted to check with the OP). I just looked an a 2006 version of the rg (the earliest I've got to hand) and it was GA or FD back then - neither of which extend(ed) into England.
 

HowMuch?

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
159
National Rail Enquires allows Kings Cross-Leeds/Leeds-Settle-Carlise/Carlisle-Glasgow. Currently with a bus from Armathwaite to Carlisle.
 

JB_B

Established Member
Joined
27 Dec 2013
Messages
1,564
... I don't believe Manchester-Leeds or Newcastle-Carlisle is valid in either direction. [1] It also seems the only way to go Leeds-Settle-Carlilse is if you travel via Stansted [2], aside from that I don't see a way to cross the pennines south of the border and north of the thames valley.[3] There's also the lack of BOJ on the outbound.

[1] I think that's true. (I'm sure via Hexham was valid in the past but it doesn't look like it now.)

[2] I don't think that's correct:-

Map TC allows MML->Leeds->Settle->Carlise->WCML

and

Maps WN+GY+ER+WA allow ECML->Leeds->Settle->Carlise->WCML


[3] Those map(s) also allow Leeds->Clapham->Lancaster (there's also some alternatives of varying usefulness on map PG)


Yes, you are correct - massive typo. :oops: I meant London-Dundee.

That makes more sense - still as, you say, load of options.

Lots of choice & lots of variation. Get out & see some of our beautiful country.

Yes - I only get to do London->Glasgow about once a year for work - I usually stop off at Dent or Ribblehead - might try the Cumbrian Coast next time if I can fit it in.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top