Computers/TVM's etc are ok for basic things (if they are set up correctly andaccept cash lol) but you cannot beat the human face of the railway, for all you technophiles out there do you really think the railway will become cheaper?? if you do you are living in dreamland putting people out of work is NOT the answer!
I have no idea about things becoming cheaper (probably not) but I can imagine them becoming simpler, with people able to use TVMs, their phone, their tablet or home computer. Or simply swiping their smartcard - which might, say, work like Oyster and levy a maximum fare if people don't touch in/out. The maximum fare would have to be a lot higher than London, but would in effect be a penalty fare charged until such time that you validate your journey correctly.
For that to work, every station would have readers/validators and all staff would also be able to validate. At night, when people might be tempted to try it on, you ensure a suitable high penalty fare for those who hadn't scanned in wherever they started.
We've discussed TVMs many times on here, with a number of solutions to make them easier to use and more advanced (and you can do both if you design the UI correctly). Besides the usability of the menus/system, I'd also be offering at least two options to buy tickets - one based on a 'wizard' that asks key questions, and a second that is for advanced users. I'd also make sure the whole railway system had the same UI for familiarity, regardless of TOC.
It's mad to have different systems next to each other at the same station! Sky can manage one UI on boxes made by loads of different companies. So could the railway.
Hands up who would rather have a member of staff out and about on the station, helping people with directions, information, using ticket machines (which in most cases need much improvement) etc, than stuck behind a glass window, sometimes (often?) with little to do.
Also, hands up who would rather see pairs of RPIs on busy commuter routes, say 1 trip in 10, dishing out proper penalty fares (£100), than having a conductor / guard on every train who because he has to operate the doors at every station has no hope of getting to see every ticket.
I would love to see the same number of staff (possibly more) but with redefined roles, such as you detail.
If ticketing was made more simple, and smarter, a lot of the time consuming duties could be streamlined too.
Well, it was stated by many that the internet revolution would also spell the end for travel agencies, and although their prominence has certainly decreased, they still exist across the country on high streets, in supermarkets and on retail parks. There are certain people, and not just the older generation, who prefer to buy tickets face-to-face as they aren't confident about the system and want specific advice and guidance on different matters.
For a holiday, including hotels and transfers etc I can see why you'd stick to going to a travel agent to speak face to face.
To be honest, I really don't want the same hassle for buying a train ticket. Rather than have a face to face conversation where the seller may still not know all the options or fares, I'd rather it being so simple I can do it on my phone while I'm walking to the station.
When you're booking a train trip that has very specific needs, with connections and so on - would you do that at the station, or aim to do it on the phone or online with someone? I'd not risk going to the station to get that sorted on the day, in case it was closed or there was a huge queue. If I wasn't a regular traveller, I'd not want to travel to the station beforehand either.
No Driver, Computer has full control and has a "customer Service advisor" onboard, The Train hits something large which causes injuries to passengers, CSA has basic first aid, so no one dies BUT! as CSA has no idea where he is he has to hope the "computer" has informed the emergency services how many people are injured, the nature of the accident computer kaput, Emergency services take forever to arrive..People DIE
Surely any system would be sending its location in real time in the future (if not already) so the people in the operations centre would know before you did.
That's where technology can really excel, although I'm still unsure about mainline railway trains being able to drive themselves with no driver on hand to keep a watchful eye on things no camera/infrared/motion sensor could be 100% guaranteed to notice.
Of course, I accept that one day it may be possible to ensure 100% safety. I don't think we're quite there yet.
As for "smart ticketing" I can't see commuters swallowing it. The claim is that fares will not increase as much but with smart ticketing that's nonsense. Commuters WILL be hammered.
I think they will. I think NFC will become big on smartphones in the next 2-3 years (basically, when Apple 'invents' it as Google has struggled so far - my phone has NFC but I can't do much with it yet).
People will accept the convenience and I'd hope that a smartcard will offer some benefits that come with regular usage, like people have with a railcard today. Fares may change such that some routes are more expensive, but when you have a card that can be used over and over, you can introduce all sorts of offers.
You can offer discounts for people travelling the same route over and over, but not enough times to warrant a season. You can throw in offers of cheap/free travel at off-peak times. You might offer cashback or other loyalty points.
All things that would encourage more people to travel, with the ability to have some influence over how they do it.
It's limited only by imagination, and I'm sure we'll cock it up - but we don't have to assume that's a given!
This government don't care about public transport especially the railways occasionally the two publicity whores boris and david will have a publicity shot on a train or a tube somewhere then off they will go in their chauffeur driven cars.
Hmmm.. I'd have thought you'd be thinking they are too busy planning the next war with Argentina ahead of the next election to worry about the railway!