I think it's good that FCC now has someone to Tweet, and it did mean a lot of people getting personal replies - which does at least show the company (or at least one person) cares.
I think that this is good PR, and I can't believe FCC didn't invest in someone to do this important role ages ago. I bet the salary isn't great, but for things like this it really does pay for itself.
People want information, even if it's bad news. People eventually accept the situation, especially if they're given an explanation. Okay, a power cut isn't quite like 7/7 (where everyone showed they didn't have a problem with incredible disruption for some time) but if people weren't told, how did they know... and it also means people jumping to the conclusion that nothing is being done, or isn't being done properly.
Twitter allows a time-stamped real-time update of a situation, which is where it has a purpose (as against naming people who have super injunctions, or self promoting celebs talking crap) - people on the train could get told where a rescue train was, if the power was restored, onward travel plans etc.
Sadly, I don't think FCC managed to do that part very well, but it's a start.