• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any idea what happened at Liverpool Central today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2013
Messages
7
On my way home today I noticed that no one was being let onto the Northern Line platform at Liverpool Central, all N.Line services seemed to be running (albiet considerably late, as with the Wirral Line services) but nothing has been said on the Merseyrail site, heard talk of the platform being overcrowded though, woulda asked staff but I was in a bit of a hurry at the time.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Requeststop

Member
Joined
21 Jan 2012
Messages
1,001
Location
Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
I can recall in days long long ago, when I was taken to Chester and Liverpool to visit the Northern side of my family,and there was no loop via Moorfields and Lime Street, that Central Station "Low Level?" was an island platform, with a grand staircase leading down from the ticket area and at the platform level, there was a sliding grille that the "platform managers" used to close to prevent the overcrowding of the island platform.

I don't know if it were possible to close of the ticket barriers (if there are any) to prevent over-crowding on the platforms these days.

By the way, I used to love watching the empty trains, pass out of the station to reverse and come back onto the other side of the island platform. I really wanted to ride on the empty train and come back again. I am talking of 1962 when I was 9 years old, and the trains ran to New Brighton, West Kirby and Rock Ferry, with 6 coaches, and on the platform was a Newspaper, cigarette and sweets kiosk in the centre of the island, and I was given a box (not a tube) of Fruit Gums by my favourite uncle. (joyous).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top