• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any cyclists? What do you ride and how far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2022

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2012
Messages
463
Location
Blunsdon
Heya, just curious what people are riding and where really...

I have a 2006 Kona Coiler, my pride and joy, its current (changes every few months) specs are

2006 Kona Coiler frame, electric blue with white graffiti writing (resprayed )
Chisel headset bearings
Marzzochi Drop off double air front shocks
Fox Vanilla R rear shock
Truativ XC bars
Giant lock on grips
Shimano Deore XT shifter
Shimano Deore XTR 9 speed mech
DMR Chainring chain and chain tensioner and device
WTB Pure seat (white naturally ;) )
DT Swiss hubs & Spokes
Sun Singletrack rims
Kenda Highroller tyres
DMR V8 pedals
Easton Vice headset
Felt post clamp
Hope M8 hydraulic brakes, EMC pads and custom milled discs ( I milled them at work shhhhhh;) )

I also have the following bikes...

Carrera Subway 1
Giant Method BMX
Giant Talon 0 2010 edition
Classic Saker folding bike
2008 Giant Rincon
2008 Giant Boulder
Carrera Kraken
Land Rover Zamora
Raleigh Chiltern
Raleigh AT-10
Peugeot Pulse 501
Felt Q220

I ride around 150 miles a week, but plan to do far more in the winter months, when the weather is worse. I enjoy night riding in terrible weather, it presents more of a challenge.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I found a Halfords Shockwave MTB dumped on my doorstep. Took it to the police who held it for 4 weeks and then it was mine. Tend to do about 20-25 miles per week weather permitting
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
I have two Trek 4300s (2012/Discs).

My black one doubles as my runabout, to and from work, and up to Aldi for shopping, but I'll often lend it to friends who are out cycling with me.

My blue one is my weekend bike, and I regularly use it Manchester-Hadfield-Sheffield or Manchester-Lymm-Liverpool. Also take it to North Wales, Delamere, Grizedale (Lakes) over the Trough of Bowland (hit 49mph!) and my favourite are the two tracks from Buxton - Monsal Dale and the High Peak Trail.

My 'boring' circuit, just to get me out and about consists of along the East Lancs Road cycleway, down to Warrington, across to Altrincham via the Transpennine Trail and the train back from Navvy Road. (55miles, 3 hours)

Just donated my third bike, a Trek 3700 (which was off the road) to a mate from another TOC who had his bike nicked on Friday from the staff racks whilst at work.
 

Attachments

  • 4300 Blue.jpg
    4300 Blue.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 16
  • TK4300.jpg
    TK4300.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 13

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,451
Location
Yorkshire
5 forum members cycled from Dalwhinnie to Pitlochry last week! Is there anyone else who'd be interested in joining our rides, mostly along disused railway lines, but sometimes alongside existing lines?
 
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
696
I'm just a shortest distance to the nearest rail/bus staion or stop type. My Brompton does me fine. I think the furthest I ever did on it was Roade to Rugby after I'd just missed the hourly bus.
 

Don2912

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2011
Messages
38
Location
Derbyshire
My usual mount is a Diamond Back 'Topanga'. It is the 1995 model, with black/purple paint finish. It has a custom-built oversize frame.

I also have at my disposal two other machines; one is a Raleigh 'Team Corsa 14', which replaced my old Raleigh 'Criterium' after the latter's derailleur failed spectacularly during a time trial. Originally bought as a frame, my 'Criterium' supplied the parts to build this one. It started life as a 12-speed machine, but I modified it to take a 7-speed block.

My other is a second Diamond Back, a 'Wildwood' MTB in blue and yellow (this is actually my partner's but he seldom uses it), it has 21 gears, and is fitted with bar-ends.

I tend to cover anything from 15 - 100 miles per week, depending on weather and work commitments. The furthest I have ever travelled in one day was when I cycled to Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum (that was many years ago, when I was younger and a LOT fitter! I still caught the train back though. :p), other than that, I have been known to get as far as Belper or Crich.
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Annoyingly I've been trying to put in good times along the quay with no success, then put in my second best time on the way back from the shop with a big bulging bag of beer on my back!
 

pinkpanther

Member
Joined
10 Jul 2009
Messages
134
Location
Bournemouth
I run far, far more than cycle, but did manage a couple of decent runs (34 and 41 miles, with about 3500ft ascents) on a Dawes hybrid last week around the Peak District.

After that, Bournemouth is definitely flat!
 

83G/84D

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2011
Messages
6,151
Location
Cornwall
I have recently taken up cycling again and have a Dawes Hybrid. Hills and weather permitting I do around 8 - 15 miles every outing,sometimes more.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
A Muddy Fox "Edge" from the days before they were taken over by Sports Direct. Great bike and love it to bits. I dont ride to great extremes, just a few trails fairly locally.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
I'm all for cycling for those who wish to participate.......

But please use the Roads or Cycle Lanes not the bloody pavements :lol:
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I used to do a fair bit of cycling. Living in Hertfordshire, I would do runs up to the countryside in Ashwell and Radwell, as well as through the surronding hamlets. Unfortunately, I have needed a new bike for quite some time, and haven't got round to replacing it.
 

Kneedown

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2007
Messages
1,837
Location
Nottinghamshire
I'm all for cycling for those who wish to participate.......

But please use the Roads or Cycle Lanes not the bloody pavements :lol:

I always ride legally, and nothing makes me madder than cyclists who ignore red traffic lights and whiz past on the pavement just millimetres from you, etc.
I cycle, motorcycle, shoot, fish and drive a 4x4. All passtimes that carry a degree of controversy and i believe strongly that the onus is on us to participate in our activities in a completely responsible and legal manner, without causing inconvenience, or risking harm to others who have just as much right to enjoy the countryside as ourselves.
Anything less causes bad feeling, and may ultimately end in legal restrictions on the hobby, or worse.
Whatever our passtime, we are ambassadors for it and, others perception of us will be what they see us do and how we do it.
 
Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2009
Messages
6,105
Location
North Wales
My steed is a Raleigh Pioneer Prestige (1992 frame, I think) which has had its flat handlebars replaced with drops (and bar end shifters fitted). I wouldn't part with its full-length mudguards and rear rack for the world. I use it on a short ten minute sprint to and from work, whatever the weather, and also on longer leisure rides when I get the opportunity.

I tend to use a train to extend my range when I go on a leisure ride (and skip the city streets of Cardiff that I know quite well already). These rides often include some cycle paths on disused railways, especially in the Valleys where there were so many railways in the first place.

My most recent ride involved a train up to Pontypool and then taking the long way back to Cardiff via Risca, Ystrad Mynach, and Pontypridd. My longest ride to date was Builth Road to Hereford via Hay-on-Wye, half of which was done with panniers full of books. :)
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
I always ride legally, and nothing makes me madder than cyclists who ignore red traffic lights and whiz past on the pavement just millimetres from you, etc.

Whatever our passtime, we are ambassadors for it and, others perception of us will be what they see us do and how we do it.

Can't agree more. I stop at all lights and will rarely go through if they are red (when I do it's usually because because some lights don't detect cycles if there isn't other traffic and after stopping and waiting a while I'll continue cautiously giving way to anything else)

Also I will very rarely ride on the pavement. Again where I do it's either for safety (:eek: and I'll seek an alternative route next time) or access (and again I'll give way to anyone else)
 

90019

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2008
Messages
6,891
Location
Featherstone, West Yorkshire
I've got a 2007 Giant Yukon Trail.

I've changed quite a lot of bits on it over the years - too much to list.
Running overinflated slicks makes a huge difference though, as I mainly ride on roads or paths. I don't really cycle that much at the moment, though.


dsc0967y.jpg
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,646
Location
Hampshire
2011 Cube Acid. Absolute beast of a MTB bike, quaility components and very lightweight too. Actually recommended to me by a friend of mine in Hampshire Constabulary as they are the bikes now chosen by because of their versatility. As for how far i ride on it, at the moment it gets a good few 12 Mile circuits per week as well as shuttling back and forth between home & Stations - Basingstokes not the most interesting / scenic of areas to ride around!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top