• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anxiety when travailing on the Class 800 Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea&Biscuits

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2019
Messages
5
Location
Newquay
Hi there, I've been travelling up and down the Penzance to Paddington line very regularly since I was a kid, I sometimes suffer a little travel anxiety, with the old HST's that was never really a problem, mainly because I never really felt 'shut-in' on them, I could just go and chill in the corridor and open the window and grab some fresh air.

Since the new Class 800 trains have come out I have had to limit my travel on them drastically, to the point that I might have to give up train travel, which is frustrating as I've enjoyed travailing on the HST's immensely, I find the so limited in space in terms of freedom of movement, the interconnecting parts of the train feel a lot smaller, the obvious non-opening of windows, (I don't know how reliable the a/c on these new trains?) the tiny toilets, the 5+5 split carriages that make you feel like you trapped on one half of the train, not having a buffet car, I used to often grab a drink and chill in there and stretch my legs and watch the world go by, on the New trains I just feel restricted to my seat and this can be quite anxiety inducing, I used to say to my other-half, "I'm just having a walk to the Buffet car and grabbing a tea", it really gave that that sense of freedom.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this type of thread is allowed on here, I just thought I would give a view point on the new trains from a someone that suffers travel anxiety and the impact of that, I understand progress has to be made and sadly the old HST's had their run but by God do I envoy those that came before me and enjoyed the old trains, steam travel etc.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,836
Location
Nowhere Heath
On my many IET journeys so far, I've not yet had an issue with the air conditioning. Well, perhaps except for when I did 800007 all the way through to Paddington on the 2151 some months back, it was too cold!

I get where you're coming from on the HSTs thing, I used to stand by the vestibule if I was tired and let the breeze wake me up. Something I do miss that is, but the IETs have proved to be a very good replacement for the HST so I'm not too bothered.

Suffering anxiety on a train, I can only imagine what that's like. I work with multiple people and know plenty of others who have anxiety issues on a similar scale. One of my colleagues loves to travel, she's rather passionate about it, but she gets nasty bouts of anxiety from it. Not so bad if she's with her husband and/or kids, but she can't go alone now. I'm only too glad I don't have that sort of issue!

Genuinely curious, does walking up and down the train help at all? Maybe attempt to replicate the HST experience by still standing in the vestibule, mini fan in hand and even possibly put some headphones on with a recording of familiar sounds? It would be a shame if you had to stop travelling!
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,037
Location
Gloucester
As someone who also suffers with anxiety, I can completely relate to your comments. However, there are a few points that don't quite add up for me.

Firstly, the seats on the 800s are not as tall as the HSTs, so I generally feel there is a much more open plan in the carriages.

Secondly, neither the HSTs nor the 800s have opening windows?

I agree totally on the narrower corridors, and I also find the non-disabled toilets very claustrophobic also.

The 800s (commonly known as cucumbers or snake-faced trains where I'm from) are very subject to debate, similar to the Voyagers, but I personally think they are a vast improvement compared to the HSTs, which I don't particularly think were very family-orientated.
 

Terry Tait

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2019
Messages
196
I really can't understand why a modern version of the Mk3 can't be designed.
 

VT 390

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2018
Messages
1,754
Secondly, neither the HSTs nor the 800s have opening windows?
The windows in the doors of the MK3's on HST's opened so that you could open the door, however I do not think they were designed to be opened when the train was moving.
 

HOOVER29

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2009
Messages
605
Don’t think I’ll ever call the Pendolino again. At least they have a buffet. GWR & before them First Great Western have always been against buffet cars.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,037
Location
Gloucester
The windows in the doors of the MK3's on HST's opened so that you could open the door, however I do not think they were designed to be opened when the train was moving.

Of course, however I was referring more to the actual carriages.
 

Tea&Biscuits

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2019
Messages
5
Location
Newquay
As someone who also suffers with anxiety, I can completely relate to your comments. However, there are a few points that don't quite add up for me.

Firstly, the seats on the 800s are not as tall as the HSTs, so I generally feel there is a much more open plan in the carriages.

Secondly, neither the HSTs nor the 800s have opening windows?

I agree totally on the narrower corridors, and I also find the non-disabled toilets very claustrophobic also.

The 800s (commonly known as cucumbers or snake-faced trains where I'm from) are very subject to debate, similar to the Voyagers, but I personally think they are a vast improvement compared to the HSTs, which I don't particularly think were very family-orientated.

I was referring to the windows in the doors, if I wanted a bit of fresh air I would go to the vestibule section and open the window, (tbh 90% of the time the windows in the doors of the HST's were often left open anyway), it just gave you that sense of freedom, a connection to the outside, rather than feeling trapped in an aeroplane-like sealed tube!

I actually quite liked hanging out in the vestibule section of the HSTs, it was quite roomy and allowed you to stretch your legs a bit on a long journey, often I would find people choosing to chill there, there is no space in that area at all now.

Thanks for notifying me of the lower seat height, I will keep that in mind next time I travel, anything to help open the space up a little!!
 
Last edited:

Terry Tait

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2019
Messages
196
In what way?

Lots of new metal tubes with seats (misaligned to the windows, just like the Mk3) have been designed and built since the Mk3. What specific aspects are important to you?
Mk3 coaches just feel more spacious and comfortable to me, I have never felt claustrophobic in a Mk3 even when it's full, something that I can't say about any modern train apart from 375s which are a good attempt at creating a modern but civilised travelling environment.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
Of course, however I was referring more to the actual carriages.
Surely from the sentence "I could just go and chill in the corridor and open the window and grab some fresh air" it's quite apparent that the original poster is referring to the door windows? That's quite a significant difference between the class 800s and traditional HST formations.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,705
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Mk3 coaches just feel more spacious and comfortable to me, I have never felt claustrophobic in a Mk3 even when it's full, something that I can't say about any modern train apart from 375s which are a good attempt at creating a modern but civilised travelling environment.

What do you reckon of classes 175/180 and 444? They are probably closest to a Mk3 in feel of modern kit?
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
I know exactly what you mean. Given how badly my back reacts to the seats in the IETs I need to get up much more than I do on other stock, and I always used to get up and go for a walk anyway. Now there isn't anywhere to go for a walk to. Going for a bit of a walk through the carriages without a destination to go through leaves me feeling judged. It's much more like an aeroplane experience where you're expected to stick to your seat, except it goes on for much much longer. I'm genuinely quite apprehensive about being on them, and whilst I've managed to avoid them on the east coast so far, I'm just hoping that the existence of a buffet and more 9 car stock will make the experience bearable
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,037
Location
Gloucester
Surely from the sentence "I could just go and chill in the corridor and open the window and grab some fresh air" it's quite apparent that the original poster is referring to the door windows? That's quite a significant difference between the class 800s and traditional HST formations.

Well in all honesty I missed that part of the post....

I was referring to the windows in the doors, if I wanted a bit of fresh air I would go to the vestibule section and open the window, (tbh 90% of the time the windows in the doors of the HST's were often left open anyway), it just gave you that sense of freedom, a connection to the outside, rather than feeling trapped in an aeroplane-like sealed tube!

I actually quite liked hanging out in the vestibule section of the HSTs, it was quite roomy and allowed you to stretch your legs a bit on a long journey, often I would find people choosing to chill there, there is no space in that area at all now.

Thanks for notifying me of the lower seat height, I will keep that in mind next time I travel, anything to help open the space up a little!!

That's okay, it's certainly not as claustrophobic I feel, and also the lighting makes the carriage feel more spacious I feel.
 

MDB1images

Member
Joined
9 Jun 2018
Messages
683
Why don't you contact GWR and explain your concerns and ask them for any tips or maybe a walk through an empty unit so you get a feel for how big they actually are.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top