Butts
Veteran Member
You're wrong
The normal workplace smoking ban covers enclosed workplaces. A sign must be displayed, but the law still applies if one isn't. The railway byelaws say that smoking is banned on the railway where signage indicates this is so.
To be fair he's not alone with regard to ignorance of the Law with regard to this - all the propaganda emanating from ASH's "Berlin Headquarters"and other such bodies only covers one side of the story.
Smoking is quite legal in a number of places such as:
Hotel Bedrooms
Most Sports Stadiums (that are not totally enclosed including Football Grounds)
Prisons
Mental Hospitals
Old Peoples Homes
Royal Palaces and the House of Commons
And of course Station Platforms
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you travel, as I do regularly from Keighley you'll generally find half a dozen people spread out along the platform smoking, making the smoke very difficult to avoid. I'm unfortunate in seeming to be very sensitive to cigarette smoke. Most smokers are unaware just how big an area their smoke covers if it's not windy. At least if you're not waiting for a train you have some chance of moving away from smokers outside.
As to how I managed before in smoky areas - with difficulty. The nightclub I used to visit most regularly had an outside area - I'd spend most of the night there - until the smoking ban came in and all the smokers moved out there and I moved inside.
According to the information I have just checked the Station has a Waiting Room and a BTP presence.
Perhaps if one end of the platform had a smoking section you could avoid the "puffers". From what you say it must be diffilcult to linger to long on a high street where you may be exposed to all manner of fumes such as exhaust emmissions.
If the Station has no barriers I would probably pop out for a smoke if it were me.
