• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another Oyster Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercator

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2010
Messages
6
This is my first post! One Saturday I will be checking out the London Overground and would like to use Oyster pay-as-you-go. As I will be inside the gateline for most of the time I had assumed that I could touch out and then immediately back in again to break the journey to avoid exceeding maximum journey times. However from what I hear this will not necessarily end one journey and start a new one. What time do you need to remain touched out before touching back in to create a new journey?

Also if the daily cap is reached are additional charges for exceeding the maximum journey time still added on top of the daily cap?

I expect the advice will be to use a Travelcard instead of Oyster but it would be useful to know these answers. Plus it might be a challenge using Oyster!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,824
Location
Back office
This is my first post! One Saturday I will be checking out the London Overground and would like to use Oyster pay-as-you-go. As I will be inside the gateline for most of the time I had assumed that I could touch out and then immediately back in again to break the journey to avoid exceeding maximum journey times. However from what I hear this will not necessarily end one journey and start a new one. What time do you need to remain touched out before touching back in to create a new journey?

Also if the daily cap is reached are additional charges for exceeding the maximum journey time still added on top of the daily cap?

I expect the advice will be to use a Travelcard instead of Oyster but it would be useful to know these answers. Plus it might be a challenge using Oyster!


Buying a Travelcard would be very good advice. You can touch out/in straight away if you validate on gateline barriers. If on a freestanding validator however you will have to wait five minutes (this prevents passengers being overcharged for accidental duplicate touches).

Once you reach the daily cap, you must continue to touch in/out correctly otherwise you just get charged even more. Oyster works by automatically deducting an Entry Charge whenever it is touched in. The appropriate refund is given when touched out correctly. The Entry Charge still gets deducted when the cap has been reached, but that amount is fully refunded when touched out again.

AFAIK the cap is completely disabled for the day if there has been an unresolved journey undertaken.
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,579
Location
Crayford
This is my first post! One Saturday I will be checking out the London Overground and would like to use Oyster pay-as-you-go. As I will be inside the gateline for most of the time I had assumed that I could touch out and then immediately back in again to break the journey to avoid exceeding maximum journey times. However from what I hear this will not necessarily end one journey and start a new one. What time do you need to remain touched out before touching back in to create a new journey?

Also if the daily cap is reached are additional charges for exceeding the maximum journey time still added on top of the daily cap?

I expect the advice will be to use a Travelcard instead of Oyster but it would be useful to know these answers. Plus it might be a challenge using Oyster!
What RJ says.

The other issue with touching out and in again refers to using different but nearby stations (or sometimes different parts of a large station). These are usually programmed as out of station interchanges and will continue a journey as long as the touches are within a set timeframe. Typically 15-20 minutes but can be up to 40 minutes at NR termini where you might wait on a concourse. There's a full list on my website (link below my posts).

If roving around for a long time I really would recommend the paper travelcard option though or you'll easily fall foul of maximum journey times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top