• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another media allegation against Southeastern Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Just an extra to this. On south east news today they had a report that confirmed the figures were correct.. Now some MPs say they were not really as it was southeastern who commissioned the report so it wasnt really independant.

And now they are clamouring to change the whole rules and have it each line to have performance figures

Check http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/kent/hi/ once the local news is done for the iplayer of it .. about 10 mins in
 

mailman

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
127
I don't complain about my local TOC or try and tell them what to do. I accept that professionals run it, and they know what to do far more than I do.

Ah, the perfect customer. Never complains, sits there and takes everything thrown at him. Companies would chop off their left testicle for customers like you :)

Then again, we all trusted the banks didnt we and look how that all ended in tears.

But on a serious note, does anyone know why 80% was settled upon? Just seems a really low punctuality rate which train companies are shamefully struggling to meet for some reason.

Regards

Mailman
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Ah, the perfect customer. Never complains, sits there and takes everything thrown at him. Companies would chop off their left testicle for customers like you :)

Not really, I've suffered delays whilst commuting. But I know that failures are inevitable on the railway, and that they happen, and to complain would be pointless as there's not much that can be done about it. If my train is held at Bentley if late to allow the Alton - Waterloo to run on time, I may be annoyed, but I know in the grand scheme of things better to make my already delayed train a couple of minutes more delayed rather than end up with two delayed trains, one of which is going to cause havoc for Woking and Wimbledon boxes.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I always try to take the approach that things can and will go wrong with many aspects of day to day life. My pen may not work, my train may be delayed or cancelled now and again, I may not get a seat on the bus, my washing machine may break down. I try and remain realistic rather than becoming apoplectic with rage at every misfortune that befalls me.

I find this keeps my blood pressure lower, though I will of course complain if there is a serious failure, like my washing machine packing up three weeks after it was bought! Sometimes I think consumer TV programmes have raised people's expectations to a wholly unrealistic level since circa 1979.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I always try to take the approach that things can and will go wrong with many aspects of day to day life. My pen may not work, my train may be delayed or cancelled now and again, I may not get a seat on the bus, my washing machine may break down. I try and remain realistic rather than becoming apoplectic with rage at every misfortune that befalls me.

I find this keeps my blood pressure lower, though I will of course complain if there is a serious failure, like my washing machine packing up three weeks after it was bought! Sometimes I think consumer TV programmes have raised people's expectations to a wholly unrealistic level since circa 1979.

This is very true - especially after i watched rip off britain the other night which made me chuckle..

Just a little bit more on this on radio kent this morning they were interviewing Greg Clark - Mp for Tunbridge wells and even though he was told that this was verified by Sheff university who even changed some of the timings that he wanted yet another independant assesment.
He also wanted SET to compensate people anyway whatever the outcome and said HS1 should not be part of the figures as it was 'not integrated' with the rest of the network.

Which im guessing he knows nothing about.. Because last time i checked it runs on the same metals as an awful lot of other trains by SET so if its not integrated to Faversham nor to Margate then just what does he mean when he says integrated?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod..._John_Warnett_and_Clare_McDonnell_24_02_2011/

around about 1hr 07mins
 

Class 466

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
2,139
Location
Atherton, UK
They should release figures for each individual line because people on poorly run lines like the maidstone east line shouldnt not get compensation because the highspeed services ran well!
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,805
Location
Central Belt
Not really, I've suffered delays whilst commuting. But I know that failures are inevitable on the railway, and that they happen, and to complain would be pointless as there's not much that can be done about it. If my train is held at Bentley if late to allow the Alton - Waterloo to run on time, I may be annoyed, but I know in the grand scheme of things better to make my already delayed train a couple of minutes more delayed rather than end up with two delayed trains, one of which is going to cause havoc for Woking and Wimbledon boxes.

Scotrail once went through a stage of having trains depart early, would you not complain if you missed it as a result. I wrote to Scotrail they admitted it but it kept happening, I wrote to transport Scotland and it was sorted. Surely in that situation the wrong thing to do would just be to accept it and arrive at the station earlier - the TOC knows better than me so if they want to run early let them?
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
They should release figures for each individual line because people on poorly run lines like the maidstone east line shouldnt not get compensation because the highspeed services ran well!

I agree with individual line performance. The current system is inherently sample biased. I know London Midland publish their lines individually although how it's collected for DfT is anyone's guess. Doesn't HS1 have it's own lines throughout? If so it would eliminate congestion.

Amalgamation of any rounded numbers will introduce, and expand upon, the rounding errors in the original figures.

Delays on a line need to be considered against the frequency of trains: on a line where there is one service per hour cannot be compared with a line where trains run every ten minutes due to the cascading effect of any delays.

The DfT should simply force TOCs to provide raw data on request with accurate graphs where appropriate.


edit: as for MPs nobody should trust a word they say although in their defence they're often told one side of the story
 

Class 466

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2010
Messages
2,139
Location
Atherton, UK
I agree with individual line performance. The current system is inherently sample biased. I know London Midland publish their lines individually although how it's collected for DfT is anyone's guess. Doesn't HS1 have it's own lines throughout? If so it would eliminate congestion.

Amalgamation of any rounded numbers will introduce, and expand upon, the rounding errors in the original figures.

Delays on a line need to be considered against the frequency of trains: on a line where there is one service per hour cannot be compared with a line where trains run every ten minutes due to the cascading effect of any delays.

The DfT should simply force TOCs to provide raw data on request with accurate graphs where appropriate.


edit: as for MPs nobody should trust a word they say although in their defence they're often told one side of the story
I totally agree with you :)


 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top