So many points to reply to on this thread, and I'm adament I'm actually going to book Monday's trip after this one! Let's see then...
Styal does have a poor service agreed, but Goostrey and Chelford still have a much better service than Styal.
Polesworth DOES have a service, granted it's only one train from Rugby or Northampton to Crewe in the morning, weekdays only, but it's still a service. Pathetic service, that much I don't disagree with but it still counts.
Stone, well it has a better service than I was expecting before it re-opened. I don't recall quality trains of 4 carriages serving the station before it originally closed, or do I recall direct services to London. Or any First Class provision. So to say it's got worse there than it was pre-WCML upgrade is absolutely unfair.
The smaller WCML stations did suffer at the time, but things have been improved since. And I'm well glad Crewe has Euston to Liverpool services calling again off-peak, very much a plus! Just wanted to mention it.
As for the chap who queried 350/3s, no they're not in service yet. I'd not expect them to be out and about until December when the timetable change kicks in. Unless TPX do hire them for extra capacity during the Commonwealth Games, but not heard about that so doubt it'll happen.
Southport services, I have been on one of them in the evening peak out of Deansgate last year. Very well loaded all the way to Wigan, I certainly didn't get a seat until well after Bolton.
Finally, as for the Westhoughton situation, I would be less than pleased with the situation myself if I was commuting to/from there. Especially if there was no advance warning of it happening, which should have been the case surely?!
Think that'll do for now, no doubt by the time I get back online on Sunday there'll be 50 pages on this thread to read through...