WCML - Full infrastructure available since lunchtime Euston-Watford (AC). LNR sticking with emergency plan all day is up to them.
0015 8 car and no working toilets. Appalling. Took the (very) delayed 2300 Avanti instead. The advantages of two singles being cheaper than a return when you have a NSE card.
I get the potential difficulties with tanking units last night with a strike on but they could have swapped it during the day, and not running everything 12 car when you are down to 2tph is really inexcusable.
It's OK, Avanti are raking it in: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64006885
Avanti West Coast rewarded with £6.5m in bonuses
Avanti West Coast was awarded millions of pounds worth of taxpayers' money in performance bonuses last year, new figures show.
The train operator has been criticised by passengers over delays and poor service this year.
But the government handed the firm more than £6.5m in 2021 for "operational performance" and "customer experience".
Interesting use of the future tense here...Their reputation would become worthless.
The payment must be made because it is in the contract agreed.
Perhaps it is a stupid contract, but a contract is a contract.
If the government just changed the terms whenever they liked,
how could they be trusted with any future negotiation?
Their reputation would become worthless.
(Cynics might say this has happened already,
but in practice most people still mostly trust
the word of the government on things like agreed pay increases and pension payouts)
If it's for 2021 then a lot of the year was under covid (Jan - Mar/Apr) when unnecessary travel was outlawed, so nearly empty trains, they also cut back the number of services so they had the staff to cover, and in the summer/autumn I assume that there were still fewer travellers/commuters post-covid than there would be this year?The payment must be made because it is in the contract agreed.
Perhaps it is a stupid contract, but a contract is a contract.
If the government just changed the terms whenever they liked,
how could they be trusted with any future negotiation?
Their reputation would become worthless.
(Cynics might say this has happened already,
but in practice most people still mostly trust
the word of the government on things like agreed pay increases and pension payouts)
That's still a choice. They can refuse to pay it, which would probably put them in breach of contract, but one argument they might return is that Avanti are equally in breach of their contract and they are withholding previously due payments because of this (the contract may even have a clause to that effect - who knows!).The payment must be made because it is in the contract agreed.
Perhaps it is a stupid contract, but a contract is a contract.
That's not how capitalism works.Avanti should do the decent thing and give that money back to us, the taxpayer. They won't, of course.
They can refuse to pay it, which would probably put them in breach of contract, but one argument they might return is that Avanti are equally in breach of their contract and they are withholding previously due payments because of this (the contract may even have a clause to that effect - who knows!).
It would essentially be calling their legal bluff. Would Avanti really want to hammer it out in court with all the bad PR and having to air their dirty laundry too? They are of course technically due the money.
Last major discussion of it I remember is when Cameron tried to change the Aircraft Carrier spec from STOVL to CATOBAR and the F-35s to suit, and it was worked out that the cancellation fees would be more expensive than any benefits at that stage and so the original plan was kept in place. Not before a lot of money had been pissed up the wall, of course.edit: Actually though, how often does the UK government break contracts? I can't think of major examples...
AIUI Contract law is part of the law of the land, so the government would need to pass an act of parliament nullifying the contract (if there was no contractual reason they could use). If they did that, guess how many people would be willing to enter into another contract with HM Govt...Could they break it? Sure.
This is all true. However a headline like this certainly raises the question of how such a term could have been agreed to in the first place, whether it reflects a market standard arrangement, or is simply the result of incompetent negotiation.
I don't think it's particularly arbitrary. It's not unusual for payments to cease or be paused, even when they are due, when there is a contractual dispute or disagreement. Sometimes it is for leverage, to keep the other side at the negotiating table.Arbitrarily refusing to honour contractual obligations really wouldn’t be the proper way for the government to behave. It would mean the government’s word was effectively meaningless.
Which term are we referring to here?The thing to focus on is how and why that term was agreed in the first place.
I don't think it's particularly arbitrary. It's fairly normal for payments to cease or be paused, even when they are due, when there is a contractual dispute or disagreement. Sometimes it is for leverage, to keep the other side at the negotiating table.
It's not saying "we won't pay you", it's saying "we're not paying you because of X reason". And one option Avanti would have is to enforce their contract by going to court.
Which term are we referring to here?
You can find the contracts here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/west-coast-partnership-2019-rail-franchise-agreement
Hinges very much on the choice of performance indicators.
I've had experience in the past (on BR) where, with the aim of improving some aspect of performance, a Key Performance Indicator is devised. The theory of this is that, if performance is better, the KPI reflects this, but unfortunately the K.P.I. is one step away from the intention and the link can be lost.
Most times, one of two things happened. Either there was a (possibly dishonest) focus on the K.P.I. and a way was found to improve that even if that meant performance overall deteriorated or at best didn't get better; or an honest attempt was made to improve the underlying performance, which was achieved but the K.P.I. unfortunately deteriorated. Some of the actions that the first T.O.C.s took to meet original specifications of K.P.I. for passenger train performance seemed to me to be examples of the first. An example of the second, where I was more personally involved, was where drivers' efficiency was defined as 'productive hours per shift' and changes that clearly improved matters (by drivers covering more miles, or spending more time driving and less on other 'productive' duties) either did not increase, or actually decreased, the K.P.I..
But then, that's K.P.I.s. My energy company had to answer 95% (I think that was the number) of complaints within 10 days. With no other target, this meant that they could totally ignore 5% of complaints - and I assume that I was once in that 5%...
Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's necessarily a good idea - it's very much a 'nuclear' option, probably to be reserved for when relations have completely broken down, and I agree that it would make other companies think very hard about whether they wanted to do business with someone that decided to do this. But there was a suggestion that the government "couldn't" do this, but they most certainly can and I don't think it is an uncommon situation.What appeared to be being suggested above wasn’t anything to do with a contractual dispute or disagreement, but was simply that this payment should be arbitrarily withheld because the TOC has underperformed in other areas. That would almost certainly put the government (via whichever body entered into this agreement) in breach of contract. That is not a good way to carry on, least of all for a government that (supposedly) places value on the rule of law, and its ability to enter into future contracts.
Agreed.I have no doubt the amount being paid is contractually owed.
Because the money was for services in 2021 and nothing to do with recent issues.They are mocking us now.
How on earth can they dish out six and a half million to a failing company and tell the hard workers they must tighten their belts and choose between feeding their family and heating their homes.
No money for the workers plenty for corporate profits and foreign shareholders.
But there was a suggestion that the government "couldn't" do this, but they most certainly can and I don't think it is an uncommon situation.
I think what you're suggesting is that because one party is a public sector body they shouldn't engage in such behaviour? And I kinda disagree with that - it's a strategy and can be used tactically to your advantage. If there is money on the table then the other party has to negotiate with you if they want to get paid. Or they can go to court and get a judgement against you.
I really don't think it's extortion! You might wish to check the specific definition of thatDeliberately breaching a contract to put pressure on another party quickly starts to sound like extortion
The private sector frequently have similar disputes, some of which end up in court. I think you're perhaps rather overthinking it, or maybe we're talking at cross purposes.If this was widespread what would likely happen is that many parties would indeed get judgments against the government, and it would rapidly become very difficult for public sector bodies to do business with the private sector.

I really don't think it's extortion! You might wish to check the specific definition of that![]()
The private sector frequently have similar disputes, some of which end up in court. I think you're perhaps rather overthinking it, or maybe we're talking at cross purposes.
Anyway, IANAL and this is going a bit off topic so I'll stop here![]()
I would hope that the contract also allows for penalties to be paid for not meeting performance targets. So for 2022 I would suggest that at least £6.5 million would be the minimum penalty charge to be made against Avanti and probably double or triple that would be fair for the atrocious service provided for most of 2022.Because the money was for services in 2021 and nothing to do with recent issues.
I dare say they won't get a bonus for 2022.
All DfT TOCs are on the same fee/bonus regime.