fortbaxter
Member
My daughter (22) had foolishly let her railcard expire (in October - I know, I know) without realising and was today stopped by an inspector in Birmingham after taking a journey from Wylde Green. He wouldn't let her pay the fare difference (about £1.40) and/or a penalty fare and instead took her details and said TIL would be in touch. It was an Avanti train.
Although it was an innocent mistake, it's a fair cop. Hopefully she'll be offered a settlement figure, which I understand to be around £150 admin plus the full fare. My questions, however, are:
1) Will she be asked to provide details of other journeys she has made between October and now and if so would she have to provide details of journeys with all operators?* She has made 3 other journeys but with Chiltern, which I gather also use TIL?
2) Is the full fare that is applied as part of any settlement for an Anytime Single or an Anytime Day Single? The price for one of the Chiltern journeys is £111 or £36 respectively!
* I am somewhat conflicted about this as she hasn't paid what she should on these journeys but the penalty seems disproportionate if it's £111 for one of the journeys.
Thanks in advance for your help and I will no doubt be returning when the first letter arrives.
Although it was an innocent mistake, it's a fair cop. Hopefully she'll be offered a settlement figure, which I understand to be around £150 admin plus the full fare. My questions, however, are:
1) Will she be asked to provide details of other journeys she has made between October and now and if so would she have to provide details of journeys with all operators?* She has made 3 other journeys but with Chiltern, which I gather also use TIL?
2) Is the full fare that is applied as part of any settlement for an Anytime Single or an Anytime Day Single? The price for one of the Chiltern journeys is £111 or £36 respectively!
* I am somewhat conflicted about this as she hasn't paid what she should on these journeys but the penalty seems disproportionate if it's £111 for one of the journeys.
Thanks in advance for your help and I will no doubt be returning when the first letter arrives.
Last edited: