• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual travelcard Oyster refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Hi all,

Sadly, a mere three months after starting a job in London a relative has been made all-but-redundant (hours drastically slashed) so the annual travelcard she has on her Oyster won't be needed any longer. In ye olden days one could simply go to one's nearest tube station to get an on-the-spot-refund, but how does it work now? TfL's website seems to suggest that the only way of getting a refund is to ring up which necessitates having the Oyster stopped completely. However, the travelcard was purchased from Walthamstow Central Overground station; could they not provide a refund, or do they not have the facility to do so?

Also, can someone remind me please what the admin fee will be for doing this? Before advising my relative to get the refund I will of course do the sums (accounting for ‘free’ weeks etc.) just to make sure it's the right course of action, though I'm already 99% sure that it will be.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
I would get them to ask at the Overground station as they may be able to do it there on their system. I used the same TIS which "unloaded" it from the Oyster card, but kept everything else on there, and then that produced a paper ticket which was then refunded like a paper season would be. There may be a similar procedure at an Overground station.

The refund (I am sure LOROL do it the same, being a National Rail TOC, but who knows) is calculated just based on what tickets they would have bought, so if they used three months exactly it would be just the cost of 3x monthly tickets deducted, plus a £10 admin fee.
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Thanks causton. Indeed I'm aware of how any such refund is calculated but I couldn't for the life of me remember how much the admin fee was! Thanks for your help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top