In my experience (several years of holding annuals, generally going through four sets of barriers at least five days a week) - no.
What happens more commonly is that the ink fades, so typically I end up requesting a replacement after about 6 to 9 months after the ticket was issued. I don't recall ever having to get a replacement because of problems with the magnetic strip.
What happens more commonly is that the ink fades, so typically I end up requesting a replacement after about 6 to 9 months after the ticket was issued. I don't recall ever having to get a replacement because of problems with the magnetic strip.
my last season ticket gave up on the gates after 3 weeks, most of the time I just flash it to the gate-line who very rarely questions why I did not attempt to use the barrier.
Do annual season tickets wear out quickly when you use them in the barriers every day?
Oh, other features of London Midland annual Travelcard/Gold card replacements:
1 The printed text did not match the ticket stock and led to over-printing, something Underground RPIs got a little exercised about on one occasion (all ended OK though)
I've had all sorts of problems with my season ticket fading due to barrier use at Leeds. The magnetic strip still works but the ink fades so badly that it's unreadable within two months.
After a guard on a Cross Country train said it was faded so badly it was no longer valid, I went to Leeds travel centre to get a replacement, only for them to say they could only replace season tickets issued in their office, which seemed ridiculous.
The problem is that the ticket was issued through my company's business travel section who use Southeastern trains call centre to issue season tickets, and Southeastern insisted I had to send the faded ticket back before they'd send a replacement, effectively meaning I would be without a season ticket for at least a week and thus having to shell out for day tickets needlessly.
In the end I resolved it by getting a friendly chap at my local ticket office to reissue it, but I expect another set of shenanigans next time it fades.