• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annual gold card - Attach to oyster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzler

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
17
Hello!

I was under the impression that since I have a annual gold card I could "attach" that to a oyster card , and get discount on tube fares?

Do my annual card have to be connected to London? I have one between Wokingham and Bracknell.

I asked 3 different people in London but they could not do it, so I assume it's not possible?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
Where did you try?

I had this done, and a chap at Euston Underground Station did it for me. I had a Watford to Euston ticket at the time, but they should be able to do it with any Gold Card, I think.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
Isle of Man
Any gold card can be attached to an Oyster card in your name. You need to do it at an Underground ticket office though. Mine was done at Angel, where the staff always seem good.

Is your Oyster registered?
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
Adding a gold card to an Oyster does seem to cause a bit of confusion with uninitiated LUL clerks as there's no railcard number for them to enter.

N.B. It is also possible to get a railcard discount added at National Rail stations which have Oyster retailing facilities – again, if the clerk knows how.

Edit: I meant photo card number, not railcard number.
 
Last edited:

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
Adding a gold card to an Oyster does seem to cause a bit of confusion with uninitiated LUL clerks as there's no railcard number for them to enter.

N.B. It is also possible to get a railcard discount added at National Rail stations which have Oyster retailing facilities – again, if the clerk knows how.

Edit: I meant photo card number, not railcard number.

Doesn't a Gold Card require you have one of the red NR Photocards like any other season ticket?
 

Be3G

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2012
Messages
1,599
Location
Chingford
That's not a photo card specifically for the gold card though – that's a photo card for the season ticket. Part of the process of adding a railcard to an Oyster is specifying its photo card number which seemed to confuse the clerk last time I tried to get this done. Or at least I think that's what confused the clerk. :?
 

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
That's not a photo card specifically for the gold card though – that's a photo card for the season ticket. Part of the process of adding a railcard to an Oyster is specifying its photo card number which seemed to confuse the clerk last time I tried to get this done. Or at least I think that's what confused the clerk. :?

Hmm, I suppose I always considered them one and the same given that the season ticket is printed on special Gold Card ticket stock... I don't see why it's any less valid than a photocard number for a railcard - in fact I don't know personally why they don't just use one standard photocard for anything that needs one! Would make my life a lot easier for sure ;)

The Gold Record card not needing a photocard is understandable I suppose...
 

Grizzler

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
17
Cheers guys, and thanks for the link.

I don't have my Oyster registered, but as far I understand then it does not matter since it will be binded to me once they add the goldcard on it. I will show them the link if they dont know how to do it.

Going to London today again.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,421
Location
Yorkshire
If it's not registered, then it will need to be registered when the discount is applied.

By the way I strongly advise you get an Oyster Online account, as this will make it a lot easier to analyse your journey history (and get help on here) in the event of any unexpected charges!

I'd also recommend you consider enabling auto top-up.
 

Grizzler

Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
17
Filled in a registration form at a ticket office, and he sorted it form me. So all good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top